FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pokemon Black and White?

driftingfe3s
Has anyone played either yet?

I borrowed the white version from a friend a few days ago to try it out. I remembered Nintendo saying that the game will be improved and many new things added compared to the older games. I kept this in mind while I played. I played maybe 10 hours into it and it feels pretty much the same as the first pokemon games.

There are only minor graphical updates, and a few new features. The story follows pretty much the same premise as the other ones as well. I guess since kids are the target audience with pokemon, nintendo/gamefreak don't really feel a need for a deep story or radical features. Still, I've been pretty disappointed with the series and having grown up with it, and especially with this newer version I think it would be awesome for Nintendo/Gamefreak to reinvent the series into something modern for an older audience.
catscratches
The whole premise is of course the same (why change a winning concept?), but with tons of small improvements everywhere. I'd say that the new games are far superior to the old in every respect apart from the Pokémon designs, of which many feel uninspired and just... weird.

I mean, look at this:

Just look at it! It's a ****** ice cream cone for crying out loud!

They've also introduced a kind of moral aspect to it. The "evil" Team Plasma (similar to Team Rocket, Magma or Aqua) are fighting for the liberation of Pokémon. They're right of course. People in the Pokémon world are keeping animals captured in small balls smaller than the animals themselves only to bring them out when engaging them in ****** fights for money and fame and it's socially acceptable! Heck, it's worse than that. It's encouraged through tournaments and aired on TV all the time!

It is, however, hard to take the ethical implications of it serously when the animals in question look like this:

and when the arguments used is pretty much: -"Keeping Pokémon captive is like... bad." -"Nah, it's not." -"Yes, it is!"
drunkenkoz
I played Pokemon black on an emulator off my computer. It's really good.
LittleBlackKitten
We bought both. While I agree most of them look strange, I think that's the point of the appeal.

I'm just waiting for 6th gen when they finally release some evos and prevos of the last 5 gens and make Pokemon like Bouffalant make sense.

We also can't forget that in Japan, chibi -everything- is popular. I've even seen Hello Kitty vibrators.....the Pokemon don't surprise me as much.
inuyasha
I'm playing Pokemon Black. Glad to know it's known here.
Usually people at my age would think the game too childish and simple. Yet that's why it recalls my childhood memories. Lots of fun!
Nameless
I haven't played it and probably won't - I tired of Pokemon a while back and the 'main' games aren't different enough to be worth playing through again - but my brother bought a copy and I've looked over his shoulder a few times. Half of the 'new' pokemon I've seen are ... not exactly subtle clones of the old ones. (I know a Pidgey when I see one and you, Pidove, are a Pidgey.)

At least the ice cream cone Pokemon looks different. And come on, it's not like there haven't been non-animal pokes since the first versions. Magnemite and Porygon say hi! Smile
catscratches
At least they haven't been food...
Nameless
catscratches wrote:

Exeggcute omelet. Roast farfetch'd. Fried magikarp. Very Happy
rayxzero
I see that pokemon game series is still moving... the last pokemon game i play was the gold version.
catscratches
Nameless wrote:
catscratches wrote:

Exeggcute omelet. Roast farfetch'd. Fried magikarp. Very Happy
Well, I guess with the proper preparations you could make almost any Pokémon into food. (Those Houndooms' got to eat something!)
braklin
Pokémon Black & Pokémon White are the first games of the long anticipated fifth generation of Pokémon. These games are due for release in Japan in September 18th 2010 & are said to bring about a revolution of Pokémon.
nigam
i haven't played the new one yet.....ill check it one of these days.....i am going to try it Smile.........
QrafTee
I haven't played it either. I just recently found my Nintendo DS Lite. I might check it out, but I've been pretty busy.
Flakky
My sister is really enthusiastic about this game. My sister and I used to play hours and hours of Red and Blue, next we both played Gold and Silver, followed by Ruby and Sapphire and the remakes of Red and Blue. At that point I stopped playing as I had no interest in having a Nintendo DS due to the pricing and the only appealing game Pokémon.

My sister did get an DS for her birthday and she actually got me exited to buy an DS as well. But then again, I would spend so much for only 1 game.
drunkenkoz
I'd recommend sticking to the old versions. I know that I still play my yellow from time to time.
Nameless
drunkenkoz wrote:
I'd recommend sticking to the old versions. I know that I still play my yellow from time to time.

Any particular reason other than nostalgia? Pokemon's formula may be very repetitive, but my experience has been that the battle system improves slightly through each iteration ...

Okay, joke time.

Pokemon Black and White? This dead horse has been beaten so much it's more like Pokemon Black and Blue!
Tesa323
Pokemon is awesome I have pokemon white and own all the pokemon already well except tornadus
missdixy
Hmmm, well this thread has convinced me =D After I finish these last two games I have to play still (Phoenix Wright and the 2nd Professor Layton) I'm going out and buying the new Pokemon Very Happy

I do agree that some of those new pokemon look kind of funky though hehehe
drunkenkoz
Nameless wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:

Any particular reason other than nostalgia? Pokemon's formula may be very repetitive, but my experience has been that the battle system improves slightly through each iteration ...

Okay, joke time.

Pokemon Black and White? This dead horse has been beaten so much it's more like Pokemon Black and Blue!

The battle system might improve with every new version, but that's normal. It's just the fact that it's the same type of game play over and over again, with every new version of the game released, the more boring it gets. I'm up to the point with pokemon where I don't even bother wasting the money unless I get the game as a gift.
catscratches
Yes, but for any new player, that's not a reason to go with Yellow instead of a newer game. Sure, if you've already played plenty of Pokémon, this doesn't really bring much new to the table and I wouldn't recommend it. But if anyone wants a place to start with the Pokémon-series I would definitely recommend a newer game (or FireRed/LeafGreen or SoulSilver/HeartGold).
Flakky
catscratches wrote:
Yes, but for any new player, that's not a reason to go with Yellow instead of a newer game. Sure, if you've already played plenty of Pokémon, this doesn't really bring much new to the table and I wouldn't recommend it. But if anyone wants a place to start with the Pokémon-series I would definitely recommend a newer game (or FireRed/LeafGreen or SoulSilver/HeartGold).
True, yet the newer are not in my liking sadly. I only wish that Red would allow someone to register items to select Wink