FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I have an ethical problem with the company i work for

medesignz
The company I work for during the day has started a new marketing campaign that I do not agree with.

It's announcing that we beat our competitors on prices and has decided to single out our closest competition and do price for price comparisons. This is an international company and quite frankly I think it is tacky in attack.

The first time I saw this tactic was in the US, when I think MaccyDs compared its prices to Burger King (I cant quite remember)

What are your views on this type of strategy?

Unfortunately I do not have the sort of income from my other income streams to hand in my notice, and I do not have the clout to show them that this is a bad way of marketing, so what can you suggest I do?
ocalhoun
Well, personally, I think advertising that you're cheaper (and backing it up with examples) is one of the better examples of advertising you see these days.
It sure beats: "Look at these people: they're so happy and perfect. They use our product. You want to be like them, right? So use our product." ... Sure, they don't say that out loud, but that's the core message of a lot of today's advertising.

As long as the advertisement is factual, I see no problem with it.
liljp617
Price is typically a significant factor in people's buying habits, especially with normal goods. I can't see any reason why a company wouldn't advertise their prices are better, assuming their prices actually are better. At that point, it's up to the consumer to decide if the quality is better for X or Y product.

The majority of companies compare prices with their competitors in some way or another -- Walmart, Target, Kroger, Meijer for example, and that's just one quite small market, relatively speaking.
watersoul
Only two options I can see mate, either register your official protest, telling your line management what you think then see how it goes, or just suck it up and sell yourself out until you find another job.
It's harsh i know but that's the world of being a sheep/employee.
Whatever is most important to you will ultimately guide your choices, but good luck with it though anyway Smile
sketteksalfa
As i see it from the big guys here, what they usually do is create a subsidiary company or business. They will use that business to release the same line of product which will compete with the prices of the other brand. So they put this new business in front of the line while you still retaining the integrity of your brand.

As for me, it is indeed a bad idea to compete with prices especially when you and your competitor have long gap on prices initially. It destroys the integrity of the business
medesignz
sketteksalfa wrote:
As i see it from the big guys here, what they usually do is create a subsidiary company or business. They will use that business to release the same line of product which will compete with the prices of the other brand. So they put this new business in front of the line while you still retaining the integrity of your brand.

As for me, it is indeed a bad idea to compete with prices especially when you and your competitor have long gap on prices initially. It destroys the integrity of the business

Thanks...

Why advertise your business using another businesses downfalls... It makes me so sad to think, when we have so many more aspects of our product that we are successful, that we have to resort to low and bottom end tactics.
standready
If you are a retailer competing on price may bring in customers. If you are a manufacturer, compete on quality/performance then price it better than competition.