FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Old Topic Purge?

LittleBlackKitten
I've seen any number of old, dead topics brought up from the recesses of frihost by new, unaware members who don't know it's considered bad form to do so. I would recommend a sort of "graveyard" for these topics. Can we perhaps lock them all, or move them to a dedicated "Thread Graveyard" section to remove the temptation, and if anyone has any real input on the topic, they can start a new one? Or perhaps they can all just be erased? I like the former suggestion better, because then they're still searchable and readable.

So here's my full suggestion:

Can we have a Thread Graveyard added and maintained in each section? Like we don't need thirty, and one is a little underkill; could we have one for General, Lifestyle and News, Support and Web Hosting, ect?
sonam
Yeah, I also don't like revives topic but it is not easy to stop new members to post in old threads. Maybe some JavaScript warning message what will display something like:

"You are at start to reply on one very old topic. Are you sure you want to continue because your post can be consider like SPAM!" YES NO

Sonam
Helios
I actually don't see a problem in reviving an old thread, unless of course the topic is irrelevant for our time (say an old topic about some news report which is no longer relevant).
I mean, why start a new topic when there's an old one with perhaps good bits of information posted there already ?
watersoul
I've got no problem with old topics getting bumped, especially if it's something I haven't read before and/or the subject is still relevant to our time as Helios said.
My own old "What can you see out your window when you're posting" thread keeps popping up every now and then which makes me chuckle sometimes. It's still interesting though when someone adds something new.
Bluedoll
Think I read somewhere to try a search before posting a new topic so that would defy bring up older topics however when someone has a fresh perspective why have to face that long thread once again? Sorting out what is good or not might be a monumental task.
Helios
Bluedoll wrote:
Think I read somewhere to try a search before posting a new topic so that would defy bring up older topics however when someone has a fresh perspective why have to face that long thread once again? Sorting out what is good or not might be a monumental task.

It's up to the user. If he/she decides to post a new thread even though there's, for example, a dead 3-page long thread somewhere, I personally wouldn't close it or say anything because it would indeed be a hard task to search for old similar topics for each new topic.
On the other hand, I wouldn't close that 3-page long topic if someone brought it back to life (in case it's relevant of course) just because it contains some old posts.
Ankhanu
A couple of the resurrected threads have been pretty interesting, really. I'm glad they were brought back, as I'd missed some of them the first time around and wouldn't have read them otherwise. The only problem with bringing up an old thread is that you're too late to reply to some posts, or, someone has already addressed what you wanted to address... but that's no different from the situation in which, say, you've been gone a week and a new thread started and already has a bunch of replies. Other than a couple members no longer posting (which can happen with new threads too sometimes), it's functionally identical to coming in late to a thread.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
A couple of the resurrected threads have been pretty interesting, really. I'm glad they were brought back, as I'd missed some of them the first time around and wouldn't have read them otherwise. The only problem with bringing up an old thread is that you're too late to reply to some posts, or, someone has already addressed what you wanted to address... but that's no different from the situation in which, say, you've been gone a week and a new thread started and already has a bunch of replies. Other than a couple members no longer posting (which can happen with new threads too sometimes), it's functionally identical to coming in late to a thread.
My thoughts exactly. I don't like things to be too neat and organized either. I enjoy it when someone brings up an old thread of a few pages, and I can see what they posted a few years ago. The posts during the 2006-2007 years for example were full of energy and some of them quite unrestrained. Must have been fun times during those years.
sonam
I don't think it is necessary to close topic but some warning messages will do good job. Why? Here is one stupid situation where I am reply because topic is bumped for fun (SPAM) and I didn't look on date.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-104290.html

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
I don't think it is necessary to close topic but some warning messages will do good job. Why? Here is one stupid situation where I am reply because topic is bumped for fun (SPAM) and I didn't look on date.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-104290.html

Sonam
Laughing That was a good one, I remember. It almost happened to me too. I think in a Forum like the Marketing one that is quite time sensitive it won't do any harm to lock threads when a project has been completed or a deal has been negotiated. Or if the thread is dated more than two months.
ocalhoun
As long as they don't go resurrecting a 5-year-dead thread to add something like "I agree."
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
As long as they don't go resurrecting a 5-year-dead thread to add something like "I agree."

Which is something that should be avoided in current threads as well. It adds nothing to the discussion.
LittleBlackKitten
Which is why I was suggesting a thread graveyard; the really old topics are still readable and displayable, just not replyable, and if someone -really- has something good to add, it'll be good enough for a new (and updated) thread.
Helios
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Which is why I was suggesting a thread graveyard; the really old topics are still readable and displayable, just not replyable, and if someone -really- has something good to add, it'll be good enough for a new (and updated) thread.

I still disagree. As Ankhanu said, "I agree" or such replies shouldn't be present in any thread, old or new.
Nothing wrong with a 5 year old thread being brought back to life, unless the topic itself is irrelevant - and this is for us (mods) to judge... in case we find it irrelevant, the thread will be locked.

In the case of sonam, well he just had to look at the date. However 'mistakes' like this may happen but there's practically no damage done apart from the poster (sonam in this case) feeling maybe slightly embarrassed. In such case it would be appropriate to simply lock the thread.

Just my 2 cents...
sonam
Quote:
In the case of sonam, well he just had to look at the date. However 'mistakes' like this may happen but there's practically no damage done apart from the poster (sonam in this case) feeling maybe slightly embarrassed. In such case it would be appropriate to simply lock the thread.

Confused Confused Confused

I really don't like to post in old threads. This is my mind program, I cannot change it. Very Happy

Sonam
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Laughing Thanks Ocalhoun, this has given me a good chuckle. I have had those experiences as well. Getting excited over what I thought was a new thread with quite an impressive topic title, then scrolling down, realizing it is really really old, just to find a few words of nothing by the author who resurrected the thread. That IS annoying. But then at least the good part of it is reading through those old posts, and maybe restarting a fresh discussion on the same topic. When I get to that part, I usually forgive those one liners and feel even grateful that the thread has been resurrected. There are quite a number of golden oldies in the Frihost historic discussions. When I have time one day, I think I should check through some of them and resurrect them myself. I tend to always look at new stuff, maybe the old threads with the multiple Web pages could be a great source for generating new posts.

Idea I was just thinking, could it be a good idea to group all the topics with more than one page of discussions together? As if one goes through the Phil&Rel Forum for example, with tens of Web pages, there is so much junk among the topics. Would be great to go to the topics that generated really good discussions, all in on place, possibly called "Golden Oldies"? Question
Helios
sonam wrote:
Quote:

Confused Confused Confused

I really don't like to post in old threads. This is my mind program, I cannot change it. Very Happy

Sonam

Of course, therefore I think that such thread should be locked and no damage done.

deanhills wrote:
I was just thinking, could it be a good idea to group all the topics with more than one page of discussions together? As if one goes through the Phil&Rel Forum for example, with tens of Web pages, there is so much junk among the topics. Would be great to go to the topics that generated really good discussions, all in on place, possibly called "Golden Oldies"?

Well, active topics are being bumped anyway, and by combining them with old long threads will probably result in users taking interest mostly in that group of threads, while maybe missing the small ones and giving them oppertunity to develop into larger and more active discussions.
LittleBlackKitten
Quote:
I was just thinking, could it be a good idea to group all the topics with more than one page of discussions together? As if one goes through the Phil&Rel Forum for example, with tens of Web pages, there is so much junk among the topics. Would be great to go to the topics that generated really good discussions, all in on place, possibly called "Golden Oldies"?

This is just the lady-side of my argument's penny! Lol.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
This is just the lady-side of my argument's penny! Lol.
Dead right! That occurred to me as well .... Having two sections side by side "Golden Oldies" and "The Grave Yard" .... R.I.P. Twisted Evil
LittleBlackKitten
If Frihost had a like button, I'd press it on that post. Lol!