FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

do you think ipad will be instead of pc?

Cliffer
Asap170
Shouldn't this go in the computer forums?

Anywho, back onto the subject. Personally I'm not an Apple fan so I will never buy an Apple product, but tablets in general...maybe they will make docks and that for people to use as a home PC and easily take it on the go, but I think that your desktop computer will still exist. The desktop, as we know it, most likely will become smaller.
airtrecklegends
i disagree with desktops being smaller especially ina world crisis nano techonlogy is expensive and so that would make desktops a litte more expensive but also the gamers woudl ahte having small keyboards mouses and screeens

Gamer Word!
standready
I dislike using touchpads as keyboards (typing like now) so I will stay with my desktop for most applications
liljp617
Absolutely not.

One of the biggest myths in the technology world is that the iPad is comparable to a PC. Not even a remotely sane comparison.
mplankbball
Although I have to admit that I have strong desire to acquire ipad2, I also have hard time understanding once I get it, how would I use it to get the most buck out of it.

As one of my friend described, it's $599 (or whatever the price you paid for) multimedia outlet/viewer, and I don't know if it's worth it.

It is pretty obvious that it won't substitute main PC due to lack of features, or, the internet-connectivity requirement that still bothers me if you are a wi-fi users. However, if you own, let's say ipod touch or macbook air, I don't know how ipad would be so much better tan those two.
kamran622
Cliffer wrote:

YES , i agree with that as the world is moving all latest technology!
inuyasha
I would rather stay with my PC. Besides, I don't think laptop would be taken place of in future.
menino
The iPad won't replace the PC as yet.
The PC still has the capabilities to run power-intensive programs such as autocad, or 3d studio or even photoshop, as these cant be run properly on the ipad.
I think the ipad has a processor speed of 1 GHz, while the PC goes upto 3.2 Ghz, and has more processing power.

If your using the PC for only light games and email and web browsing, then the ipad might as well replace your pc.
deanhills
iPad is probably more for someone who travels regularly and wants something more substantial than iPhone. If I were to travel frequently I would definitely consider buying one, but in my experience there are so many internet cafes or access to coin operated computers everywhere, that I very rarely have a problem of access to computers.
liljp617
There is basically zero benefit to getting an iPad over a netbook if you want something small and travel-capable. The power of a netbook is incomparable to an iPad. The iPad is one of the most overrated products I've seen in a long time.
pll
Yeah, it will soon replace the computer as we know it now. But it will take a certain amount of time until they can reach the same performances as what we can get in a computer/notebook.

But, remember when the first notebooks came out, nobody would believe that they would replace existing computers, and now, almost everyone owns one.

But now, the phones/ipads will soon replace notebooks.
robertoilidio
Probably the Ipad will replace the notebooks in a short time. But the usability of the notebooks keyboards is really simpler then type on the Ipad, so I guess the future we will see something closer to Ipads replacing the notebooks, but not exactly the Ipad that we knows nowadays.
IceCreamTruck
Hybrid! Nuff said...

Ankhanu
iPads, etc. are not stand alone systems... they can't replace a desktop/laptop as they require them to function properly. Any OS updates, data backup, etc. requires a hard connection to a full OS computer.

So, no, they won't replace desktops/laptops. At least, as robertoilidio, not the way they are now. They would require a substantial change in OS and hardware to become a real replacement.
cybersa
Ipad can't beat the computer in any way.
But it will come closer to it.
Ankhanu
cybersa wrote:
Ipad can't beat the computer in any way.
But it will come closer to it.

Portability and ease of basic operation?? Seems to have those in the bag, really.
IceCreamTruck
soon there won't be a difference. Windows7 micro tablets all run windows7. The push right now is to get all laptop functionality on tablets.

Look at the progression of cellphones. They used to be a briefcase that could only send and receive calls, didn't have a lot of basic services like voicemail, call-waiting, three-way, or conference. Now cellphones will do all that and much more.

Tablets are about to make the jump.. there won't be any functionality difference soon between them and laptops, really! I thought the ipad1 was a great idea, but it didn't have the functionality I need. I didn't get one because it was too much of a trick to get it to play movies off the local network drive. I was kind of offended that the ipad couldn't "map a network drive".
Ankhanu
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I didn't get one because it was too much of a trick to get it to play movies off the local network drive. I was kind of offended that the ipad couldn't "map a network drive".

That's kind of a feature of mobile OSes at this point; you don't have access to the file system, as such, you can't map to other disks, whether tethered or remote. Any access to the file system is behind the scenes. This is true of Chrome, iOS, Android, WinMobile, etc.

Some mobile OSes may go the direction of giving that functionality, but, they may not. They're generally not intended to be used as full computers, and giving access to the file system open the door to all kinds of user related problems. I wouldn't hold my breath on it being implemented widescale any time soon.
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I didn't get one because it was too much of a trick to get it to play movies off the local network drive. I was kind of offended that the ipad couldn't "map a network drive".

That's kind of a feature of mobile OSes at this point; you don't have access to the file system, as such, you can't map to other disks, whether tethered or remote. Any access to the file system is behind the scenes. This is true of Chrome, iOS, Android, WinMobile, etc.

Some mobile OSes may go the direction of giving that functionality, but, they may not. They're generally not intended to be used as full computers, and giving access to the file system open the door to all kinds of user related problems. I wouldn't hold my breath on it being implemented widescale any time soon.

I don't have to wait! Smile I can just buy a window7 tablet... microsoft understands my need... go figure
chartcentral
At its current state, the iPad is not yet a replacement, rather it is a complement to the main computer (whether it is a Mac or a PC) that you are using. Smile