FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is your most unfomfortable air flight ever?

chasbeen
Thw worst one I ever had was sitting next to a guy with Hallitosis (Stinky breath)
The flight was for seven hours and I was feeling very sick at the end of the journey. Funny thing was he was only a young guy.
Was it a bit strange that his GF was sat 2 rows behind us.
I finally get off the plane and am standing waiting for the luggage only to be greeted by the smell again. I looked around, he was on the other side of the luggage machine at least 20 feet away.

Go to the dentist!

Whats yours?
menino
I guess mine had to be someone with stinking feet, and to top it off, the seats were cramped for the full 3.5 hour flight.
Fortunately, I was really tired and slept a lot of it, and also in the middle, the stinky feet fellow went somewhere else to sleep. Smile
deanhills
Ugh Chasbeen, that must have been gross! I've had that once with someone who had really bad bodily odour, but I can't remember when. Must be some years ago.

My most recent memory of an uncomfortable flight is two weekends ago to Bangkok, Thailand. Flying Etihad Airways from Abu Dhabi. I can never sleep on the plane, so my source of keeping sane is usually watching movies or listening to music. I can read as well, but hate to turn on my reading lamp when the cabin lights are turned off as I'm worried I may disturb my neighbours when they are trying to catch shut eye. The flight was almost 100% full and the cabin attendants seriously busy. So had to wait for about half an hour for a cabin attendant to reset my station twice with negative results. After an hour, I was finally moved to a different seat. And then at that point, bad luck again! Moving to a different seat I missed out on my meal, which was not a problem as I'm not very partial to airplane food anyway. Then when I was served a drink, which luckily I chose soda water and ice, there was a hole in the bottom of the cup, and that emptied all over me. I frantically gestured for a second cup however the overly worked flight attendant was unable to catch on. That is the most recent uncomfortable flight I can think off. My neighours in both seats were great however. I was hardly aware of them. We chit chatted, but not of the intrusive variety. As sometimes one can really get nuisance people who expect to be entertained during their trip, which is when I usually put on my earphones and excuse myself!
ProfessorY91
Just a word of advice from someone who flies to East Asia, and South Asia frequently. Do not ever, under any circumstances, fly Air India.

Messy children running the length of the plane screaming their heads off.
A nasty smell of body odor and spices pervades the entire plane.
Don't get me started on the bathrooms.
Nonexistant flight attendants.
General circus.

Just saying.
deanhills
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Just a word of advice from someone who flies to East Asia, and South Asia frequently. Do not ever, under any circumstances, fly Air India.

Messy children running the length of the plane screaming their heads off.
A nasty smell of body odor and spices pervades the entire plane.
Don't get me started on the bathrooms.
Nonexistant flight attendants.
General circus.

Just saying.
Wow! Sounds gross. When I was using South East Asia Airlines, it was horribly cramped, however the standard of service quite comparable with others, and cleanliness about the same. I've never flown Air India, and doubt I will because of their high cost of air fares. It is almost double the cost to fly to India, using Air India from Dubai, than flying British Airways to London from Dubai, the latter being almost double the distance. Having said that, I've never been to India. I once almost went, and then when I had to apply for a Visa, the Embassy Clerk made some sarcastic references about Canada and Canadians, so I tore up my Visa Application. I sometimes am an idiot about matters of principle. I was going to visit Bangalore and Mysore and who knows, when they make it easier to get a Visa to visit India I may do that one day. I have some good friends from India who are working in the UAE, particularly in Bangalore and the South of India, and would love to visit the country.
watersoul
I can't say I've had a really uncomfortable flight to be honest, they've all been bearable and the excitement of my destination has always overridden the downsides.
The most amazing flight I've ever had though was on a mostly empty Gulf Air jet from Kuala Lumpur to London. After take-off I slipped over to the central strip of seats, pulled the arm rests up and stretched out for a long sleep on my new pseudo-bed.
This was of course after a few free drinks, and interrupted only by a smiling stewardess supplying some excellent in flight food Smile
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
This was of course after a few free drinks, and interrupted only by a smiling stewardess supplying some excellent in flight food Smile
That sounds like a dream flight. I can't remember last when I had the luxury of an empty flight like that. Maybe a few years ago flying Air Canada from London to Vancouver. But on a long flight like yours, that must have been heaven .... Smile
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
...on a long flight like yours, that must have been heaven .... Smile

Absolutely, and a thousand times better than Chasbeen's experience with the stinky breath guy! Lol

I've actually still got the Gulf Air blanket - oops, it must have fallen into my bag or something.
It's now my beach party/festival/camping blanket and it's flame-retardant properties can be especially handy when sat around a fire! Smile
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
I've actually still got the Gulf Air blanket - oops, it must have fallen into my bag or something.
Happens to me from time to time with the stainless steel cutlery .... Very Happy I'll check out the Gulf Air blankets when next I fly with them.
missdixy
ughh, I flew Sprit Air once recently and 1) that airline is really just a piece of shit and 2) the seats towards the half and end of the airplane are SO close together. It was claustrophobic and just overall SHITTY situation to be in. The guy in front of me would often move in his seat (which was slightly reclined back) and would hit me on the forehead. Never again....
chasbeen
Someone already done Air India.
The food was good but were we on the same flight?
IceCreamTruck
This thread is great! It covers some very unusual circumstances and possibilities of air travel: stinky feet, bad breath, and body odor. Messy kids being unruly and no flight attendants, but good food, haha!

Watersoul, it's amazingly lucky, but it happens, and it has happened to me that I got to stretch out over center isle, but the strangest thing happened after a few hours I was asked to move back to my seat and a restrained/sick man was placed there without explanation other than I had to move quickly to provide a seat for him. His situation was not explained and I had to move far enough away that I did not hear the reason. I did, however, get about 4 hours of sleep before that -- I used to fly US to Europe and back again every year, if not several times.

My worst flight, and yes, Watersoul, it can get VERY bad in those tin cans: Eight hour layover in Frankfurt, which was the worlds worst, dirtiest, and confusing airport and I'm sure it's much worse now - evil begets evil. Normally German engineering and I get along just fine. There is a serious lack of comfort provided in international airports simply because people fall asleep and miss their flights as it is, without them providing beds for you, so instead they provide an atmosphere that is exciting and keeps you awake.

I wasn't happy about the 4 hour flight there, so 8 hour layover seemed like a nightmare, but that's where it started. Simply, the 9.5 hour flight on which I was ready as hell to sleep was dominated by a baby who is SCREAMING because he literally has blood coming out of his ears shortly after takeoff, and the mother is FREAKING OUT right behind me. Mom finally stopped shouting at everyone, but that just set the baby up to scream the entire trip. Needless to say the baby, myself, and his mommy were not having a really good time. The flight was stuffed, there was no going anywhere, and a line to the bathroom. The pilot kept hitting turbulence and turning off and on seat-belt sign requiring me to return to my seat and I was going insane... I missed my meal too because I was on one of my trips to the bathroom. I actually got back in line to use the restroom, and I know some of the other passengers were having a horrible time just like me, but other people were acting like they really couldn't even hear this baby sounding like it was being killed, and one lady even grabbed my arm and said the words "sit down... you are being mean to the baby" because she really did think I was being rude to the baby by getting up out of my seat so often, and the baby really would just go away if I ignored it like she was. I was alone on the flight as far as anyone who knew me and other than hello, good-bye, or I would like a cheese burger that I have long since forgotten, "Let go of my arm!!" was all I said to anyone I knew in almost two days. All I can figure is that she had abandonment issues, because her words and actions make no sense to me at all to this day. BTW, ear-plugs do not work on babies sitting right behind you... the sounds travels directly through your skull into your ears after liquefying anything solid in your brain.

I can now avoid Frankfurt, but I still fear the baby!
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I can now avoid Frankfurt, but I still fear the baby!
I think that is everyone's fear. That is why I usually try and get a seat as far back as I can get in the plane. My last one was in row 52 out of (I think 56). It lessens the chances of connecting up with one of those. I've always wondered why they allow these poor mites to be put through all of this torture and agony. Surely that can count as child abuse! Twisted Evil
IceCreamTruck
I avoid the back of the airplane too... you get more ambient noise off the jets back there.

My favorite seats are just in front of the wings, and preferably not an isle seat because I can't tell you how many times the flight attendants have hit my funny bone/elbow with those carts. Window or middle seat for me, thanks. I usually tuck in with a good book... my last series of flights I conquered Steven King's gunslinger series (dark tower series... whatever).
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I can't tell you how many times the flight attendants have hit my funny bone/elbow with those carts. Window or middle seat for me, thanks.
Happened during my last flight. I usually prefer the window seat however when the media equipment did not work at my seat, was moved to an isle seat where I had to be careful where I put my elbow, and keep my legs tucked in all of the time. I was unaware about the ambient noise at the back of the plane. And now that you mention it, it must be the noise I like so much. Sort of drones out everything else. The front seats before the wing is a good place to sit at as well. I rarely seem to be able to get those seats however.
Feroc1ty
Mine when the airplane was an older model that didn't adjust the pressure or something along those lines correctly, so my ears were constantly popping; at some points they actually really hurt.
driftingfe3s
Luckily for me I haven't been on a bad flight. My last flight was 8 hours to Hawaii and I didn't have any problems. I guess It helped that I sat next to my brother. Very Happy

Aside from some minor turbulence on the way there, for most part it was quiet. I just watched the in-flight movie, listened to my music, played with my Nintendo DS or napped.
IceCreamTruck
I thought this topic was about bad trips... not good long trips! People, I don't mean to offend, but this topic was not created so you can confirm that you've never had a bad trip, and personally I don't find info about your pleasant trips to be that exciting, so you can guess that not too many people are going to give you points or respond to your "good trip" moments here.
Nameless
This one time I was on a swing, but I kind of slipped and crushed my crotch for a moment before falling off.

... what, planes? I've never flown. Razz
IceCreamTruck
Nameless wrote:
This one time I was on a swing, but I kind of slipped and crushed my crotch for a moment before falling off.

... what, planes? I've never flown. Razz

Now that's a bad trip, Nameless! Smile BTW, planes are super fun... you should try them. Go somewhere that you can't get to realistically without flying... like Europe.
ChrisCh
I've never had a truly terrible commercial flight - and I go through airports several times a week... The worst flight I've had though would have had to be on somebody else's private jet (with seats for about 24 people)... it went through some *severe* turbulence (the seatbelt light was on for most of the flight), and I suppose being a bit of a smaller plane, you could just feel it a lot more!

The best flight I've had would have to be on British Airways - I paid for an economy seat, and was offered a discount return upgrade to business class (at only about 40% of full price - not even double the discount economy price)... the pre-flight experience was fantastic on both legs (LHR-FCO (London Heathrow 5 -> Rome Fiumicino) return)... the business class lounge in Heathrow T5 was amazing, and I was quite impressed with the open bar in Rome - particularly as we had arrived several hours before the flight, which was then delayed - so it was much more pleasant than just waiting around in the general departure concourse area... On board, the cabin crew were extremely friendly, and kept offering us French champagne, and let us move around the Business cabin (we were 2 of 4 people in business class) to take photos of the incredible mountain views right under the jet...

If you ever get a chance to fly BA in Business, I definitely recommend it! Very Happy
foumy6
Mine would be when i was in first grade and it was my first being in a plane ever and not only was it bad enough that I was scared out of my mind, but that went away once we got going lol, but it was my first time having my ears pop. That was horrible for I had never felt that kind of pain EVER! so now when I go on planes i wear those special ear plugs that stop that from happening XP.
deanhills
foumy6 wrote:
Mine would be when i was in first grade and it was my first being in a plane ever and not only was it bad enough that I was scared out of my mind, but that went away once we got going lol, but it was my first time having my ears pop. That was horrible for I had never felt that kind of pain EVER! so now when I go on planes i wear those special ear plugs that stop that from happening XP.
Wow! Now I'm learning. I've never heard about those. Where can one get those ear plugs? Probably be a good idea to sell those to airlines .... Very Happy
TurtleShell
I just heard on the radio this morning about a recent southwest airline flight wherein a giant hole was ripped in the ceiling of the plane during mid-flight. The cabin lost pressure and the airbags came down. The plane landed safely in Arizona somewhere. I wasn't on this plane of course, but I'm going to submit a post for the people on that flight--I bet they would consider that to be their most uncomfortable flight ever.
CheDragon
A flight with two little m"##"$ f#$&/ shouting "We are going to die mom!!" and crying the whole flight '
Possum
I was just sitting down at an airport with a pilot friend when someone asks us if we wanted to go for a flight in a Cessna. I didn't know he was going to practice stalling. Its was a totally bad time. My friend who was a pilot wasn't too happy either.

However the worst time for me in a plane was when we did a beach take off after abalone diving. The pilot didn't take into account the extra weight of the shell fish and wet diving suits. We almost hit the trees at the end of the beach. Funny thing is I didn't know of the danger until the pilot told me a month latter ( after he carmed down) I just though wow those trees are CLOSE lol
Dennise
There were two.

#1. Right after earning my private pilot's license, I took my family up for a short flight (short because of questionable weather).

About 5 minutes after we took off, a bad weather system moved in quickly and began shaking our little airplane (Cessna 172) violently. Soon, my kids began screaming and throwing up. Attempts at landing were futile with violent uncontrollable up and down drafts. After two aborted landing attempts, the tower controller informed me I either had to land or get the hell away from the airport. This was a 'big' help for a new pilot with only 40 hours flying time.

After informing me "I might be able to make it to Orlando AP before the storm reached there" I radioed back to the tower that I wasn't interested in any maybes. The tower offered me a southeast heading instead to Tittisville; about 50 miles away. Hearing that, and knowing my fuel tanks were nearly full, I accepted the suggestion and headed southeast in still violent air.

Well about 10 minutes later, the air finally smoothed and the remainder of the flight to Tittisville and landing there was uneventful. After landing , tying the airplane down and getting everyone into the APs building, within 15 minutes the storm arrived there. I watched that storm pick up a DC3 airplane and move it sideways about 20 feet.

Truly an unforgettable flight.

#2. On a bad weather military flight landing approach in Maine, just as the fog cleared, I watched as our starboard wing clipped the tops of some trees. Just then, the pilot gunned our engines and announced a 'go-around'. After two more tree clipping attempts, we landed safely at an alternate airport. Another 'no-fun' very scary flight.

Another unforgettable flight.
chasbeen
Hmmmm'

after the last post My initial "Mr STINKY breath" posting seems feeble.

But you can be assured....

It was much much worse!!!
IceCreamTruck
FYI, planes don't fly close to trees you guys! If it looks like you can reach out and touch them then you are too close, and if the tips of the wings touch them, my god that's scary, and you are in a lot of trouble.

Sounds like you were in a heavy plane that needed as much of the runway as it could get to land, Dennise. There's no reason I can see to run the risk of clipping the trees unless the runway is only barely long enough to land the plane, and the pilot was coming in low to maximize his time on the ground with breaks. Yeah, if the pilot did that while I was in the plane I'd go for a parachute and ask him to gain altitude so I could jump before the second attempt. I don't mind flying at high speeds, but I'm really not a fan of going that fast on the ground especially tumbling after clipping a tree without breaks to help you manage an ending runway. I'll take my chances with the parachute, thanks.

That has to be the scariest moment by far. You never know how close you come to trees that appear close, but touching trees with the landing gear or with wings is different all together. That's officially too close, and some, for my tastes. Planes don't typically survive one collision let alone multiple collisions.
ankitdatashn
Up till now I had no worst flight in my life, I usually enjoy the flight looking outside the window, and more the turbulence > more the fun. There was only one instance when I got scared in a flight, It was evening time and our plane was in full altitude, there was frozen layer of moist air that formed on the windows. Now the approach began and aircraft lost altitude, somehow the windows were still frosty-dewy. It was difficult to see outside, all we could see was lights outside on the poles. As time passed it appeared as though plane was going under the lights now, It got so much scary that I thought the plane was crashing, anyhow the touchdown was soft and I breathed the air of comfort. memorable experience it was! Smile
IceCreamTruck
ankitdatashn wrote:
Up till now I had no worst flight in my life, I usually enjoy the flight looking outside the window, and more the turbulence > more the fun. There was only one instance when I got scared in a flight, It was evening time and our plane was in full altitude, there was frozen layer of moist air that formed on the windows. Now the approach began and aircraft lost altitude, somehow the windows were still frosty-dewy. It was difficult to see outside, all we could see was lights outside on the poles. As time passed it appeared as though plane was going under the lights now, It got so much scary that I thought the plane was crashing, anyhow the touchdown was soft and I breathed the air of comfort. memorable experience it was! Smile

Were the lights on buildings? Radio towers? Airport lights on poles? How does one go below lights on the ground? It doesn't happen without creating a crater, so I'm guessing buildings with lights on the top or radio towers which you flew past.
foumy6
deanhills wrote:
foumy6 wrote:
Wow! Now I'm learning. I've never heard about those. Where can one get those ear plugs? Probably be a good idea to sell those to airlines .... Very Happy

First off sorry for the late reply, but I couldn't say that was wayyy back in 1st grade (I'm in grade 10 now) so I don;t know, but I do know they were my grandmas, so I'll have to ask her. THey really should sell them on the planes, or something cause ear popping SUCKS.
standready
Long time back, Had to sit on the plane at the terminal while mechanics worked on the hydraulics for over two hours! You could hear them banging around.
This was back when some airlines would show flight deck on the movie screen during takeoff. You heard pilot get clearance. He so mad that he tried to throw all four throttles through the floor. Pilot pitched the plane up into a steep climb that I rode up the back of my seat! After that, I always stayed belted in - tight!
Josso
I do sometimes get extreme reactions to pressure (or something I don't know)... I've felt it coming on occasionly, but when it does actually come on it feels like my eyes are going to pop out of my head... severe head pains like my head is going to explode over everyone like in one of those 70s movies. I once got this while skiing pretty hardcore long hours in Utah, by the 5th day I felt fine then on the way back down I had one of the most intense head pains I've ever experienced... I felt screwed over and ill for the next day, dunno if that was related but yeah I am a little bit wary of air travel just because of... I dunno... coming down from altitude or something? If someone could explain this it would be useful.. I've had this experience about 3 times in my life but it's a really bad 10 minutes or whatever and I really dread it.