FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Slouching

rogue_skydragon
Now we all know how mothers like to nag us with sayings like "Sit up straight!" or "Chin up!" They do this for good reason...to help keep our posture strong, presentable, and generally healthy. But in this computer-saturated world we live in today, where hunching over a keyboard has become commonplace, keeping a straight posture has become something quite difficult to keep up after a while.

How long would one have to sit at a desk/computer to officially create some kind of back problem? Hours per day?

What are some preventative measure you like to employ?
zbale
rogue_skydragon wrote:

[...]
How long would one have to sit at a desk/computer to officially create some kind of back problem? Hours per day?
[...]

I'm not sure the question has to be asked in terms of hours per day but rather, as you suggest, in terms of preventive measures: I guess you can spend hours sitting in front of your computer but if you know how to sit properly and exercise every now and then during breaks, it should be fine.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm using a lumbar-support contraption that I've set on top of my chair, and my back gets strained much slower. Also, I try to do pull-ups (or push-ups) every morning to keep my back in shape.

A couple of things I should do more is 1) be more careful about my position when sitting and 2) taking breaks more often to just walk around stretch, breathe, etc. (which I assume is also good for the brain, by the way Smile)

I hope this helps. Do you have tricks of your own?
driftingfe3s
I slouch a lot when I sit. I don't have any back problems though.

I think it helps that I lift weights regularly and make sure to hit my back muscles when I'm at the gym.
zbale
driftingfe3s wrote:
I slouch a lot when I sit. I don't have any back problems though.

I think it helps that I lift weights regularly and make sure to hit my back muscles when I'm at the gym.

Yep, I think you're right: working out is really what makes the difference.