FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The 3 most historically important events in the last 50?

chasbeen
Mine is:
(1)Man walks on the moon 1969
(2)9/11
(3)Water discovered on Mars

Everyones different, whats yours?
D'Artagnan
you forgot one, my birth
chasbeen
Thats interesting I must have missed the news that day. Thanks for letting me know.
deanhills
(1) Wide body airliners mass air transit
(2) Heart transplant
(3) Internet
Navigator
JFK
the internet
nigam
the walk on the moom, 9 11 and the internet for me.......
Josso
chasbeen wrote:
Mine is:
(1)Man walks on the moon 1969
(2)9/11
(3)Water discovered on Mars

Everyones different, whats yours?

Damn if only there were more legit ones.

Most important events of the next 50:
- Get the hell out of here, and backup our civilization (at least once).
- Internet 3D (aka: the datasphere) I read too much sci-fi
- Destroying the vast void which is the gap between the working class and the people in charge

Ah, I now realise how unsporting that was.
captainsuperdude
human genome patent, internet, and fukushima
gandalfthegrey
9/11? Seriously?

How are we determining most important? By media coverage?

Most important events:
- Yuri Gagarin, the first human being in space.
(Sorry to my fellow westerners, but this is a much bigger barrier to break and a much bigger achievement than the Moon Landing).
- Fall of the Soviet Union

I'm not sure what #3 should be.
I was thinking the discover of the atom, or identifying the structure of DNA - but those happened over 50 years ago.
adri
I completely agree with Gandalf The Grey, 9/11 isn't a big thing if you look at what happened in real wars. (cities burned to the ground, millions of dead soldiers/people, etc. )
And JFK, I don't get that either, there a lot of Kings and Royal/wealthy people killed back in the days, they are similar to the JFK case.

I would say:

1. The Cold War (which obviously includes fall of the Soviet Union, battle of technologies (they kept pushing the barrier for more and more powerful weapons and also the battle for "space")).

2. The Third Industrial Revolution (well I think it is the third Razz ), a.k.a. Computers and Internet and the way they now control our daily lives, just like trains did in 19th century.

3. The uprise of China

adri
Nameless
I'm pretty sure the internet has had considerably more affect on everything from worldwide communication to individual lives than water being discovered on Mars.
Sw4k1ll4r
1) Internet
2) Pacemaker
3) Invention of solar panels

Just 3 things that popped up in my head.
malaysia
1.The first ever United State of America Black Presiden, Barrack Hussein Obama.
2.9/11
3.The establishment of Pakistan, India, North Korea as latest member of nuclear club nations.
yagnyavalkya
It is very difficult to say three most important events in history in the last 50 years
There are several important events
AsadAnsari
9-11

War Against Terrorism (There's a boogy man out there, first there was war against drugs now its against terrorism)
Afghanistan war
Iraq's chemical disarming war..
Fooling Pakistan to get in other's war..

Lolzzz Laughing
loremar
AsadAnsari wrote:
9-11

War Against Terrorism (There's a boogy man out there, first there was war against drugs now its against terrorism)
Afghanistan war
Iraq's chemical disarming war..
Fooling Pakistan to get in other's war..

Lolzzz Laughing

Do you have any evidence that terrorism is a conspiracy?
Then how do you explain suicide bombing done simultaneously? That can't be coincidence. Suicide bombing is planned and they can't just be paid to kill themselves. So it can't be a conspiracy.
Or are you suggesting that all these evidences showing terrorism is a hoax? If it is then how are they able to convince people to go suicide bombing.

Even if you find reason to that, you have to give evidence. You can't just speculate and expect us to believe you.
tingkagol
I liked his third choice.
loremar
hehe. My previous post was kinda out of place.
Out of guilt I should contribute.

Mine would be:
1. video games invention
2. personal computer invention
3. internet invention

Those are the only things that matter to me in the past 50 years.
kainster
I vote for internet
_AVG_
3 significant developments in the past 50 years have been:
1. Space exploration
2. Medical technology
3. Information technology

However, 3 really important events have been:
1. Neil Armstrong's first step on the moon
2. The fall of the Berlin Wall
3. 9/11
william
If the Cold War isn't considered one "event", then I'll have to go with (in no particular order):

1. Space Race
2. Creation of the Internet (can also include other information technology and the advancements of computers as well)
3. Fall of the Berlin Wall (that entire time frame, I feel, is more significant than 9/11)
90dota
1st you also forgot one, frihost's birth.
baboosaa
1)obama became the president of united states.
2)osama killed by us army
3)banks being too much kind hearted to lend money...
deanhills
1. The Internet
2. Social networking on the internet
3. Population explosion
bukaida
Mine three are--

1) PC

2) Improvement in Medical Science

3) Internet

The ranking are not made as per their order.They all have equal priorities.
boinsterman
My votes are:

Middle East conflicts about religion (mostly Israeli vs. Arab, Sunni vs. Shiite being an exception)
    Arabic nations recent overthrow of governments, and current revolutions there
    End of Cold War and subsequent breakup of Soviet Union

Of course, the U.S. has had a major role in most of these events.

(I believe the first two are separate phenomena, as the second--about who rules those nations--are/were mostly Arab vs. Arab)

Critical points in history are of great interest to me, but they are much easier to identify once a few more than five decades have played out. This is generally the field of alternate history, as some call it.
gandalfthegrey
Are we talking about single events or achievements?

Events:

1. 1972 U.S. President Richard Nixon visit to China

This one event changed the world more than anything, as it opened up the possibility of trade with China. Now, most products are made in China. China has changed into a weird mix of capitalism and a single-party state that seems to work well for them (not entirely sure about the rest of us).

2. 2000 U.S. Presidential Election / George W. Bush appointed president by the courts

I am really concerned that his actions has resulted in an increased in the amount and intensity of anti-Americanism and anti-western sentiments that will effect the peace and security of the world for generations to come back. Historians will look back at George W. Bush's presidency, his invasion of Afghanistan, and the invasion of Iraq on false pretences as the roots of our future misery (i.e. World War Three?)

3. 1989 presentation of the Washington Consensus (the set of economic policies that has resulted in the numerous financial crises we are experiencing all over the world and will continue to experience, along with growing income inequality and the loss of economic security of the middle class)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Consensus
Navigator
kennedy assasination
9/11
computers
Mr_Howl
gandalfthegrey wrote:
9/11? Seriously?

How are we determining most important? By media coverage?

9/11 has shaped United States foreign policy over the last decade (that's a fifth of the span we are looking at, a pretty big chunk). Also, I'm pretty sure it was a big deal to the people living in Afghanistan, now that we've been hanging out there for a while. So while our current wars may seem like skirmishes compared to WWII, I think it is safe to compare 9/11 to Dec 7th 1941, which, if we were considering a longer time span, would be a strong contender.

Quote:

Do you have any evidence that terrorism is a conspiracy?
Then how do you explain suicide bombing done simultaneously? That can't be coincidence. Suicide bombing is planned and they can't just be paid to kill themselves. So it can't be a conspiracy.
Or are you suggesting that all these evidences showing terrorism is a hoax? If it is then how are they able to convince people to go suicide bombing.

Even if you find reason to that, you have to give evidence. You can't just speculate and expect us to believe you.

It's not that terrorism is a conspiracy--we know there are terrorists. 9/11 happened, remember? It's that the WAR on Terror is just an excuse for the government to overstep its bounds.

Do we have any evidence that the Patriot Act has helped stop another 9/11? No. Do we have evidence of its abuse? Yes.

Do we have evidence that the TSA naked-cancer machines have stopped any terrorists? No.

Has warrantless phone-tapping saved us? VIPR? "Border" checks that are miles away from any borders?

(Feel free to provide counters to any of those. Honestly I'd be a bit happier about the situation if I was wrong.)

Do we have evidence that the War on Iraq was a lie? That there was no connection to terrorism, that the government knew there were no WMDs, and that "terrorism" was used to sell the idea to the public? Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

AsadAnsari compared it to the War on Drugs because it's a similar arbitrary war that can never be won, and is just used as an excuse to pass stupid laws that, for the most part, keep the average citizen down. We can keep 1/100 Americans in jail, most of them poor and/or of a minority. And oh look, now we never have to worry about Mexico or many South American countries becoming rivals, since the cartels have a choke-hold on their governments and economies. As an added bonus, it has created an "immigration problem" for us, giving us yet another red herring issue to distract the public with! Hooray Wars on Freedom!

Quote:

Events:
1. 1972 U.S. President Richard Nixon visit to China

2. 2000 U.S. Presidential Election / George W. Bush appointed president by the courts

3. 1989 presentation of the Washington Consensus

I like your reasoning for these.
Crockett024
1) The fall of the Soviet Union
2) The Vietnam War
3) Internet
churchillcad
1) The fall of the Soviet Union
2) Iranian revolution
3) Internet
TheLimey
1) Death Of Hitler
2) Death of Hussein
3) Death of Bin Laden
adri
TheLimey wrote:
1) Death Of Hitler

Your number one is out of scope. Wink It happened in 1945, so that's 67 years ago and this topic is about important events that happened in the last 50 years.

Just saying Razz

adri
Iceaxe0410
Let me think 50 years ago started in 1962. That would be right in the middle of the Vietnam War. I consider that to be one three most historical important events in history in the last 50 years. It lasted so long and changed American culture and society. It would be difficult to say that it was not historically important.

After that, I'd consider the end of the Cold War and the advent of the Internet as the other two most historically important events in the last 50 years.

Some other close ones would be all the high profile assassinations within that time period; the death of Martin Luther King Jr. , John F. Kennedy's assassination, and death of John Lennon. 9/11 is also quite important as well. Though, I think those had less of an impact on global society. Most of them are more important to American history rather than worldwide history.

But as a whole, I would say that the Vietnam War, the end of the Cold War, and the Internet has had the largest impact on a worldwide scale making them the most historically important events in the last 50 years.
Maarja
As mentioned above, 50 years ago is 1962. It seems so much has changed since then - especially the end of the Cold War.

Thus, #1 would definitely have to be the fall of the Soviet Union. It thoroughly changed the geopolitical situation of the world - there was no superpower backing the 'Communist World' and arguably the US lost its main competitor for the title of Global Superpower for quite some time. There was a reduced chance for total world destruction (i.e. MAD) and the whole fall of the Soviet Union sort of symbolized the European Spring which had occurred over the previous 3-4 years across Eastern Europe.

#2 would have to be the Assassination of Robert F. Kennedy. RFK is a symbol of what could have been, in my opinion. Perhaps its because I am a Democrat, but also its quite sad that a man who was such a potent symbol of change was gunned down - before he could carry out his plans. He would have been able to do so much as President, and I think the world suffered because of Sirhan Sirhan.

#3 would probably have to be the actions of CERN on August 6, 1991. That's the day that they released the WWW - World Wide Web to the public. The internet (as mentioned right above here) is one of the most fundamentally changing inventions in modern Human history. Suddenly information is opened up to the world - so many opportunities as well as information is made available to people across the world. Our society has changed so much because of this information - perhaps not for the better. We now have new threats - the threat of someone stealing secrets from a company/country via the internet, the threat of losing data on the internet, cyber-warfare like that experienced by Estonia regarding Russia.

While there are countless more events which could have a major impact on our world, these are the top 3 in my view.
pravojednostavno
cold war
internet
European Union
jajarvin
This three items:

1. Watergate
  2. 119
  3. Edward Snowden

Iceaxe0410
I'd say Vietnam War, the Internet, and 9/11. I pick Vietnam mostly because I couldn't pick World War II since it wasn't within the last 50 year mark. Lots of people were affected by that war. It dragged on for so long and spanned the career of many presidents. It was also the first war that the U.S. pulled out of marking the first that wasn't won.

The Internet really changed the way the world communicates. I think it was one of the most important things in modern history. So much information and communication worldwide. It definitely changed the way people communicate and bridged the gap between countries in more ways than one.

9/11 was the first major attack by terrorism that really changed the way people look at it. I remember seeing the building collapse while I was in school. It was just unreal watching the destruction on tv. Made you really wonder if it was happening. Later on, I was in New York and saw the empty plots where the twin towers used to be. It was so strange not seeing the famous building there anymore.
tonberry
Kanye West's possible list:

1. The College Dropout
2. Late Registration
3. Graduation
pythonscorpion
1: 911
2: end of cold war
3: Internet
Kapellhagen
I look at this from the angle: the things that change most our everyday life are the most important. So internet comes as clear first, though this is a very wetern-white culture perspective im afraid. I´m nearly fifty years old, all kinds of communitations have changed and improved on this period enormously -again changing everyday life. You couldnt dream of travelling everywhere in the world as i was a child, for instance. The third in my list is perhaps a future one, climat change and environmental issues are rising......