FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Joe Biden's train station

Voodoocat
How much does a personal monument cost? How about 20 million (plus an additional 5.7 million in cost overruns) sound. Apparently Joe Biden is quite proud of the money he has garnered for Amtrack: he admits that he “heavily influenced the amount of money” that Amtrak received under the stimulus. The payoff? He gets a train station named after him.

I think this quote from Citizens Against Government Waste says is all:

Renaming the station is apparently legal — and is fitting in this case, said Leslie Paige, spokeswoman for Citizens Against Government Waste.

“It’s an absolutely perfect monument to a guy whose entire history has been overspending and overpromising,” she said. “It would make sense [Mr. Biden‘s] name would be slapped on a bloated, over-budget train station in Wilmington.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/17/stimulus-funded-train-station-be-named-biden/
deanhills
Wow, interesting! Maybe the Banks that got baled out should also have been renamed? Twisted Evil
Voodoocat
The would certainly cement Obama's place in history!

George Washington: First president and brave leader of our revolutionary army against overwhelming odds.

Thomas Jefferson: Brilliant philosopher, Statesman and writer of our constitution.

Barak Obama: Borrowed billions of dollars from China and gave it all to huge banks. These same banks then started forclosing on houses resulting in millions of Americans being kicked out of their homes.

Very Happy
menino
I guess you could say that Joe Biden is still "TRAIN"ing t be vice president.
I think the USA should have a small note at the corner saying "made by China" Laughing just kidding.

Oh well... maybe the trains arent too bad though - they may be overbudgeted, overpriced, but they still run along the national routes, and provide logistics of goods and people to different parts of the US, and is more economical for the people, in my opinion.

Maybe the costs should be better managed, but what about unnecessary expenses from other budgets?
ocalhoun
menino wrote:

Oh well... maybe the trains arent too bad though - they may be overbudgeted, overpriced, but they still run along the national routes, and provide logistics of goods and people to different parts of the US, and is more economical for the people, in my opinion.

They're great for moving cargo long distances. Really, for moving large amounts of cargo a long way across land, nothing beats a train for efficiency.

They're not so great for moving people short distances. (Or long distances either, for that matter, since people prefer faster modes of travel, usually.)

And, thanks to some backroom deals with the railroad companies that own the tracks, it's the most unsafe mode of mass transit in the US.
(Part of the deal that lets Amtrak use the commercial rail lines is that ALL lawsuits by Amtrak passengers will be paid by Amtrak, no matter who was actually at fault... Which means that the rail companies can skimp on rail maintenance and be negligent with safety issues without having any liability for it.)
handfleisch
ocalhoun wrote:
menino wrote:

They're great for moving cargo long distances. Really, for moving large amounts of cargo a long way across land, nothing beats a train for efficiency.

They're not so great for moving people short distances. (Or long distances either, for that matter, since people prefer faster modes of travel, usually.)

And, thanks to some backroom deals with the railroad companies that own the tracks, it's the most unsafe mode of mass transit in the US.
(Part of the deal that lets Amtrak use the commercial rail lines is that ALL lawsuits by Amtrak passengers will be paid by Amtrak, no matter who was actually at fault... Which means that the rail companies can skimp on rail maintenance and be negligent with safety issues without having any liability for it.)

Yeah, that's totally true, trains are totally dangerous, all sorts of people have been injured in train accidents and hardly anyone's been in a car crash. I mean Amtrak skimps on brakes, they don't even bother stopping half the time. Just go to the emergency rooms and the ICU, they are filled with train crash victims and no car crash victims at all. Fortunately when the libertarian revolution comes train danger will disappear and they'll be free lollipops for everyone. And the bad days, the days when our country was being ruined by too much train spending and not enough spending on simultaneous unfunded wars, the days of horror when we did not give enough tax breaks to the rich, will be finally over and we can all pray "Hail Ayn Rand, full of mace, the lord of flies is with thee".

But I'm worried not enough people have heard the truth, in fact some people can be heard laughing at your wisdom about the evil horror of the train danger. Please, give them your sources and your facts, please show them the truth
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Yeah, that's totally true, trains are totally dangerous, all sorts of people have been injured in train accidents and hardly anyone's been in a car crash. I mean Amtrak skimps on brakes, they don't even bother stopping half the time. Just go to the emergency rooms and the ICU, they are filled with train crash victims and no car crash victims at all. Fortunately when the libertarian revolution comes train danger will disappear and they'll be free lollipops for everyone. And the bad days, the days when our country was being ruined by too much train spending and not enough spending on simultaneous unfunded wars, the days of horror when we did not give enough tax breaks to the rich, will be finally over and we can all pray "Hail Ayn Rand, full of mace, the lord of flies is with thee".

But I'm worried not enough people have heard the truth, in fact some people can be heard laughing at your wisdom about the evil horror of the train danger. Please, give them your sources and your facts, please show them the truth
Laughing Laughing OK, now this has really been entertaining Handfleisch, well written!

Back to the naming of the Train Station, given that trains seem to be on the back burner from a transportation point of view, maybe this could be kind'a insulting for Biden, being the Vice-President and all. If they could get an airport to be called after him instead, now that may be a difference scenario all together Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:

Hm... you ask me to cite sources, but give no citations yourself...
Anyway,
*Does some research*
Ah, it appears my information is a bit outdated:
Quote:
If we include data from 1990-1993 the fatality rate is much higher

I wonder if anybody fixed the liability issue though.
menino
I don't really know the commercial side of trains in the US, for people, but in India, they are used a LOT.
In fact, in Mumbai, trains are so overcrowded, its like an olympic feat to try and get onto the train, and then get off it, just implying that it is very important part of the daily lives of people in India.

But coming back to US trains, I do have very limited knowledge, and this post has given more information on it.
I think it would be only fitting for Biden to be named after Microsoft's next Operating system. Laughing

Maybe he's done some good for other parts of the USA, but providing an excess in stimulus packages for a losing profit on the railway system, mainly because he has a personal attachment to it, shows in one way the direction that the country is headed to.
Maybe trains are more economical, and good for sight seeing the country side, but I don't think so in the long run. They still use fossil fuels which are bad for the environment, and they do take up property, which means digging over fertile soil, and probably also breaking down natural resources such as plants and trees. Sad
Voodoocat
It gets better! The Amtrak train that the Amtrak CEO was taking to Biden's ceremony broke down on the way! The CEO had to take a car to be on time Shocked

http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/19/amtrak-ceo-ditches-broken-train-to-travel-by-car-to-ribbon-cutting-of-wilmingtons-joe-biden-station/

Let's expand the earlier quote: “It would make sense [Mr. Biden‘s] name would be slapped on a bloated, over-budget broken down train station in Wilmington. ” Laughing
menino
Voodoocat wrote:
It gets better! The Amtrak train that the Amtrak CEO was taking to Biden's ceremony broke down on the way! The CEO had to take a car to be on time Shocked

http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/19/amtrak-ceo-ditches-broken-train-to-travel-by-car-to-ribbon-cutting-of-wilmingtons-joe-biden-station/

Let's expand the earlier quote: “It would make sense [Mr. Biden‘s] name would be slapped on a bloated, over-budget broken down train station in Wilmington. ” Laughing

I just read about the CEO taking the car, because the Amtrak train broke down and you beat me to it, voodoocat Smile