FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to have two domains for the same site

bukaida
I already have a site hosted under a paid service. Now the client wants a domain name of his choice for the same site. Also he wants that this new domain name will be used henceforth.He told that during renewal, he will only renew this new domain( and ofcourse the hosting also). Now, how can I do it without sacrificing the indexing already in the search engines ? I have heard something called a domain pointer.Is it related to my case?
dude_xyx
You can use a 301 redirect I think. I don' know if how pointing domains effects for site seo. But 301 method is safe.
k_s_baskar
dude_xyx wrote:
You can use a 301 redirect I think. I don' know if how pointing domains effects for site seo. But 301 method is safe.

Domain Redirect with 301 will not help in this matter. because the client is not going to renew is old domain. Think Need some trick to solve this issue.
metalfreek
If the site is completely new than the idea is ok but if site is atleast 6 months old than not renewing the old domain is a bad idea I think because visitors will be coming to old site as it gets old.

But I think you really need to play with the database and setup a completely new site just to migrate to new domain but there might be a shorter way.
Bondings
You should be pointing all urls with a 301 redirect to the new ones. You can do that with a .htacess file in the public_html directory.

As others have said, it is not a good idea to stop renewing the old domain. I would recommend to keep it for as long as possible. Why? Because there will most likely be a lot of links left on the internet to the old site. And once the redirect goes away, all that traffic from those links will stop (and the same for the value of those links).
bukaida
Thanx Bondings & others. In fact collecting all the URLs of all the modules and sub modules, is a tedious job. There is a high possibility that some of the sub-urls will be left. This will cause the mess during search. So trying to convince the client about retaining the one. Hope they will agree.
ogah
use htaccess to forward domain1.com to domain2.com
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain1\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://domain2.com/$1 [L,R=301]

your domain1.com will redirect to domain2.com include query strings from domain1 URL
bukaida
I am thinking of a simple solution. Simply have an index.html for the first domain which will have a button "Enter" that will have a link to the index page of the second domain. Off course, Both the domains and hostings should be maintained. What do you say?

It will be similar to

http://www.jadavpur.edu/
ogah
bukaida wrote:
I am thinking of a simple solution. Simply have an index.html for the first domain which will have a button "Enter" that will have a link to the index page of the second domain. Off course, Both the domains and hostings should be maintained. What do you say?

It will be similar to

http://www.jadavpur.edu/

bukaida, maintaine both domain and hosting are not simple Smile