FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Motivation to make music

Ankhanu
I was just watching a little interview with a relatively popular musician, and he made a comment that I've heard from many, many musicians in interviews that I just thought about in terms of how it relates to me. He said, I'll paraphrase, I just want to make music that sticks in people's heads, music that conveys an emotion. I hear this sort of thing from musicians all the time and it got me thinking, is that why I make my music? Do I want to make others feel particular emotions, do I want my music to stick in their heads? Is making music about other people for me?

No.

I suppose I'm just a selfish person, but, I make music for me. I make music to sound good to my ears and make me feel good about playing it. I hope others like it too and that it sticks with them, moves them, et cetera, but that is not my motivation. I have to like what I'm doing and that's why I'm doing it.

Perhaps this is truly the reason why others who profess they are making music to move others actually have behind their motivation, but they don't consider it and reveal cliched dribble about appeasing other people... there's no way to know really.

My question to you is: what is your true, honest motivation for creating music? Is it personal? Is it social? Is it financial? Some other motivation?
Navigator
My take on that is once you are a relatively popular musician, you become a brand, a product and as a product you have to be attractive to the customer. Yes, I do think there is something in it that is yours, your personal touch, the little thing that makes you different.

But how about this, if you are Bono, or Britney Spears, you have to consider sales, and it sounds awful once you say it aloud.
Radar
I doubt I'd describe myself as being into creating music, but I think that with anything, you start out creating it for it's own sake. Because you love it and because that's the only thing that's going to keep you going.

Once you become successful, in any sense, you actually stop and consider the fact that you're not the only person getting something out of this. Others are actually affected by it. At that point, your goal with what you're doing changes, and you're no longer just doing it for yourself, you're doing it for others, and once you're doing that, you start to aim towards having a particular influence on others, rather than just doing it for it's own sake.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I think it's certainly hard to avoid.
catscratches
In my opinion,for music to sound good it has to convey a mood/atmosphere/emotion. As such, good music to me is music that conveys emotions. I want to make good music and hence I want to make music that conveys emotions. However, the only one I want to make feel these emotions is myself. If others like it as well then that's great, but I wouldn't change a single aspect of my music just to please others. This is because music is my hobby, not my profession.
lovescience
In my circumstance, I make music and sound effect for motion pictures. There is a lot different for people to feel a piece of video with a different music and sound effect.

I want to write song for motion pictures too.

I think by continuous making music, sound effects and writing songs for motion picture, like in many fields, you will know how to create and to place which music, sound effect and song on which place of the motion picture.