FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

open source and money

tokodemo
for open source developer
where are they get their money?
is there adv for linux developer?
you are good people for open source developer
badai
technical support.
FunDa
Open source is not always free, although most famous open source software like Firefox and Ubuntu Linux are free too.

Some Open Source software is sold for money, but instead of giving a locked software, they give the source code of the software too. This helps in small projects where errors in code can be corrected easily by anyone proficient in programming.

Also, the after sales service is one source of revenue for those software like RedHat Linux which can be free and open source.
fladry
Sometimes they make money by adding ads in the main download website of the softwares(especially for very small projects). Donations is also a good way to earn money from opensource programs.
Navigator
I guess it depends on your focus, if you are proficient in lets say, Drupal, you don't sell Drupal, you sell solutions tailored to the client needs, the specifics of the implementation is up to you. If you developed an open source CMS you could create add-ons, modules and even training videos for sale.
weableandbob
Usually, it's either ad supported or supported through donations. A lot of times, if people like a product, they'll give money to show their support even though they don't need to.
FunDa
Coming back to the real question, if you are, say, a student interested in open source programming.

Can he/she expect to make a bit of money from open source programming ?

I suppose Web Designing is a type of open source programming.

But is it possible to make a living doing open source projects ?
snowboardalliance
FunDa wrote:
Coming back to the real question, if you are, say, a student interested in open source programming.

Can he/she expect to make a bit of money from open source programming ?

I suppose Web Designing is a type of open source programming.

But is it possible to make a living doing open source projects ?

You can probably make some money doing freelance web development/programming.

Or, use open source things to make money, like writing Android applications and selling them on the Market. Lot's of other ways as well, depending on your skillset and interests.
Peterssidan
That it is not so much money involved is actually a good thing. It means the people who make the software make it for a reason other than just make a lot of money from it. This makes the software good, useful and simple instead of just look/sound good. If you really want to make money you should not be doing open source software but instead try to take advantage of all the people who don't care to about open source. There is still many people like that out there.
tamilparks
fladry wrote:
Sometimes they make money by adding ads in the main download website of the softwares(especially for very small projects). Donations is also a good way to earn money from opensource programs.

this i have saw