FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Japan shifted 2.4m

Ankhanu
Apparently in the recent earthquake events in Japan, the country has shifted position ~2.4m (8') as the Pacific plate pushed under the North American plate. I'm not really sure how much scientific discussion can result here, but I thought it an interesting bit of trivia, and it nicely illustrates that the planet's crust isn't as static as most of us would like to believe. Of course, we all know it moves, but it's normally imperceptible to most people; dramatic shifts like this can be a real eye-opener.

Physorg.com article
bukaida
It has a direct effect on earth's rotation and time.
Ankhanu
Well, yeah. Any change in the mass distribution on the planet has an affect on the rate of rotation. Even a ballerina doing a jump has an affect; albeit a rather small one Smile
gverutes
Yes, I heard the stats on that movement. It was crazy big.
inuyasha
Very Happy Yeah, it is really an eye-opener, and an obvious evidence. I'm curious if someday in the future the plates would join together again since Japan and America are 2.4m nearer~ Smile
It's just like.... a pizza is cut off and put together on the other side.
socials
Im so amazed how an earthquake can move the earth that way. I had heard that with that movement, a couple of second will be lost of everyday.
kelseymh
socials wrote:
Im so amazed how an earthquake can move the earth that way. I had heard that with that movement, a couple of second will be lost of everyday.

A couple of microseconds.