FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Florida

gverutes
Visiting the state of Florida is a mixed bag. The east coast is nice culturally, but very crowded. The east coast is much less crowded and the Gulf of Mexico is nice.

Does anyone have storied about visits to Florida?
ocalhoun
Lived in Florida for 19 years.

It's hot, and increasingly filled with old retired people and endless housing developments as far as the eye can see.

Other than that, nice place.
Visit the beaches, maybe stop at the Everglades, and definitely don't miss the Florida Keys...
Generally, Gulf-side beaches have small waves, Atlantic-side beaches have larger waves.
Wouldn't recommend the theme parks unless you've got kids. (And if you do, visit on a weekday during the local school year, for less crowds and shorter lines.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Generally, Gulf-side beaches have small waves, Atlantic-side beaches have larger waves.
Do people swim in the Atlantic Ocean however, as isn't it cold? I remember in South Africa it used to be freezing cold in the Atlantic Ocean. Cape Town has two oceans joining at its "point", the Indian and Atlantic Oceans. So people in Cape Town would generally favour the beaches that are on the Indian Ocean side. I tried the Atlantic Ocean a few times, but wow, the cold is almost like a painful experience. Also takes one's breath away.
gverutes
the Pacific is actually much colder than the Atlantic except for the winter time.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Do people swim in the Atlantic Ocean however, as isn't it cold? I remember in South Africa it used to be freezing cold in the Atlantic Ocean. Cape Town has two oceans joining at its "point", the Indian and Atlantic Oceans. So people in Cape Town would generally favour the beaches that are on the Indian Ocean side. I tried the Atlantic Ocean a few times, but wow, the cold is almost like a painful experience. Also takes one's breath away.

Oceans are not neatly divided by temperature.
gverutes
Well I'll tell you the GUlf of Mexico was nice and warm...almost 70 degrees in March!
HenryDamiani
Some of the best beaches in Florida are :
1. Siesta Key Public Beach
2. Sanibel Island
3. Clearwater Beach
4. Sebastian Inlet
5. Daytona Beach
6. Panama City Beach.
gverutes
I would also add Marco Island and Bahia Honda Key
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Oceans are not neatly divided by temperature.
Agreed. But something is not quite right with this diagram. Maybe the one in Wikipedia is a bit better. At any rate, there is no allowance for the icy Benguela current that comes from the Antactic and meets up with the warmer Agulhas current from the Indian ocean at Cape Point before it moves up the West Coast of Africa until Angola. I've not dived in South Africa for the reason that I would have to wear a dry suit for diving. I far rather dive in warmer water such as the Indian ocean around Zanzibar for example. The ocean around Cape Point and up the East coast until Mozambique is also treacherous as far as choppy sea and currents are concerned.
watersoul
I'd love to test the sea temperatures at the florida coast some day, it's definitely on my 'to do' list.

@Dean, you should try our 'lovely' sea temperatures on the SW England coast here. At the moment it's about 9C at the surface and you can even look forward to the high 'teens toward the end of summer. But note that these are surface temp's only, swim down half a metre and any man without a wet-suit should expect certain body parts to shrink away in cold shock! Shocked Lol

*Edit* Just looked at Fort Lauderdale (East Coast Florida) surf/sea conditions on MagicSeaweed.com it's 25C! Jealous Mad
ocalhoun
watersoul wrote:

@Dean, you should try our 'lovely' sea temperatures on the SW England coast here. At the moment it's about 9C at the surface and you can even look forward to the high 'teens toward the end of summer.

You're actually pretty lucky it isn't colder... Look at the other places at the same latitude!
watersoul
Hell yeah.
It's the lovely Gulf Stream (not luck) which keeps us warm though, perhaps it's all a little more polluted by BP's mess-ups these days, but it's still very welcome to keep us above freezing temp's. It's also why N.Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and middle/northern England get snow when we rarely even get frost on the SW coast Smile
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
@Dean, you should try our 'lovely' sea temperatures on the SW England coast here. At the moment it's about 9C at the surface and you can even look forward to the high 'teens toward the end of summer. But note that these are surface temp's only, swim down half a metre and any man without a wet-suit should expect certain body parts to shrink away in cold shock! Shocked Lol
9C is already much too cold. I dive for fun! Got to be at least double that number. Twisted Evil
gverutes
which side of Florida gets more hurricanes on average -- east or west coast. I have heard the west coast and islands do, but i'm not certain.
ocalhoun
gverutes wrote:
which side of Florida gets more hurricanes on average -- east or west coast. I have heard the west coast and islands do, but i'm not certain.

Pretty much any hurricane that hits Florida will hit both sides (and everything in between).

If it really makes a difference to you, I think the West coast gets hit more often, but the (slightly less common) ones that hit the East coast are often more intense than the West coast storms.
gverutes
Interesting. That's what I heard too. Specifically as being a drawback for not living on the west coast. I wonder why that is?
drummer
Lived to be in florida!!
DexMark
One of my favorite location is in europe, though i want to travel in USA too. I like all their places.
jwellsy
Florida can be an OK place to visit. Daytona Bike Week and driving on the beach is something to behold.

The Gulf freaks me out, it's so still and ominous. It seems unnatural for a body of water that large to not have decent waves.

On the East side from Miami down to Homestead where the keys start is a dangerous place.

A lot of counties in the panhandle are dry (no alcohol).

It rains for 20 minutes many days.
gverutes
Any advice for visiting Daytona Beach in late October? Headed there for a conference and would like to find some fun things to do....
nltrans
try a sporting event: football or basketball
gverutes
They have sports teams in Daytona?
popo4512
I want to go there
Laughing
lrj945
gverutes wrote:
Well I'll tell you the GUlf of Mexico was nice and warm...almost 70 degrees in March!

hah, It looks very good.
Blaster
I love Florida one of my favorite places to visit. Been to the amusement parks and they are fun. If you are older I'd say go to Universal and Islands of adventure but if you have younger kids go to Disney. Beach wise I've ever only been to Clearwater and I was surprised at how clear the water was when I was there... However this was before the oil incident in the Gulf.
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
been to Clearwater and I was surprised at how clear the water was

... Sometimes places actually are named for a reason ^.^
Blaster
Sometimes... However most water was clear at one point... Us damn polluting people screwed that up.
gverutes
It's still like upper 70's / low 80's in F near Clearwater/Tampa area. I'm headed there next week. I hope there are no hurricanes or cold fronts.
Blaster
gverutes wrote:
It's still like upper 70's / low 80's in F near Clearwater/Tampa area. I'm headed there next week. I hope there are no hurricanes or cold fronts.

My friend lives in Daytona and thats all he ever talks about is how warm it is... While currently its snowing here the 70's and 80's sounds kind of nice right now... Although I do like the snow and this is the first snow of the season.
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
gverutes wrote:

My friend lives in Daytona and thats all he ever talks about is how warm it is... While currently its snowing here the 70's and 80's sounds kind of nice right now... Although I do like the snow and this is the first snow of the season.

What they don't mention is that while northerners get a whole summer full of nice weather, they only get really pleasant temperatures in the brief space between 'a little chilly' and 'really hot'.
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:
Blaster wrote:
gverutes wrote:

What they don't mention is that while northerners get a whole summer full of nice weather, they only get really pleasant temperatures in the brief space between 'a little chilly' and 'really hot'.

Yea I see what you mean. Our summer is awesome and I don't mind the changing of seasons either. Its nice to have a change.
gverutes
Just got back from Marco. It was amazing. I didn't realize how many cool birds and islands (10,000!) there are just south of Naples and Marco Island.
weed
its one of my dreams thanks everyone i got the idea how florida looks
liangli
the Pacific is actually much colder than the Atlantic except for the winter time.
gverutes
yes, that is correct.
jackbreat
Florida which is can be good tourist place.I have enjoy their beach which is fantastic,and it also give the more entertainment.
mikeperhem1
Florida is full of beautiful and exotic beaches .
jackbreat
Florida is really a very nice place. Where you do many fun with your family and kids. There are so many beautiful beaches are available. Their you get the fresh weather and also very amazing views. I have also gone there for spending my holiday.
mshafiq
i did not get any chance to go Florida.But i heard lots of nice stuff about this.As they have lots of oceans and beautiful stuff.