FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Desktop location

Tony The Tiger
I have Windows 7. I am trying to change the location of the desktop pointer. When I left click the start bar and Computer a window opens with a folder hierarchy on the left. Under favorites, I right click desktop and left click properties to open a window with many tabs. In the shortcut tab there is a default target. When I try to change it to D:\Desktop and click apply, I get an error box that says "The name 'D:\Desktop' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct. There is actually a D:\Desktop location. What is wrong?
Ankhanu
My guess would be that the Desktop shortcut is intrinsically tied to your user account Desktop location and cannot be changed without getting serious about tweaking the OS programming.
Your best bet is to create a shortcut to D:\Desktop and add it to your favorites list.
Tony The Tiger
Ankhanu wrote:
My guess would be that the Desktop shortcut is intrinsically tied to your user account Desktop location and cannot be changed without getting serious about tweaking the OS programming.
Your best bet is to create a shortcut to D:\Desktop and add it to your favorites list.

I think that was the case with Vista too.
rockpan
the location of your desktop is related to your profile folder "C:\users\youraccount\".
and it is stored in registry.

your can try to set a junction to "D:\Desktop" and replace the desktop folder with the junction.
it may be helpful.
Tony The Tiger
rockpan wrote:
the location of your desktop is related to your profile folder "C:\users\youraccount\".
and it is stored in registry.

your can try to set a junction to "D:\Desktop" and replace the desktop folder with the junction.
it may be helpful.

That sounds fine, but how do I set a junction?