FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Super Moon" coming - next week

wellerchap
According to my neighbour, the moon will appear larger in the sky at some point next week (I'm in England) than it's ever done before....he called it a "Super Moon" and says the authorities haven't publicised it as there'll be a spike in panic attacks, calls to the emergency services etc.
a). Surely the authorities would tell everyone what's coming so they DON'T panic
b). How big (in relation to the usual) are these "Super Moons"?
c). Is he just winding me up?
Ankhanu
The actual size doesn't change. The apparent size may, in relation to other objects along the horizon, but the actual size doesn't change. If you measure the diameter with something other than your eye (ie. use an instrument), when the moon appears large or small, you'll see that it's actually the same.

You can do this easily with a camera; take a picture when it appears large or small, then take another picture from the same spot, same magnification, when it appears the opposite and compare the diameter of just the moon in each shot. It'll be the same.

It's a trick of the eye.
_AVG_
Regarding the Super Moon itself, I, for one do not see how it is possible (unless the earth's atmosphere acts as a giant lens or something, which I highly doubt).

The theory that it is a "trick of the eye" does make sense, but again, why is it a trick of the eye? Even if the moon does appear larger, does it appear larger marginally or noticeably?

Nevertheless, I am no expert.
wellerchap
I know it's not actually bigger Rolling Eyes
The implication is that it will pass closer to the earth....19th March is the big day, apparently....we'll wait and see.
Too close, and the stench of cheese will be too much for most to cope with, though I'm partial to the stuff personally.
ocalhoun
wellerchap wrote:
....he called it a "Super Moon" and says the authorities haven't publicised it as there'll be a spike in panic attacks, calls to the emergency services etc.

So:
Scenario 1 -- Gov: "The moon will look bigger on X day. No big deal, nothing bad will happen" Public: "PANIC!1!!"
Scenario 2 -- Gov: "" Moon: BIG Public: "Meh."

I doubt this.
Wouldn't people be more likely to panic if they didn't know it was coming?
Navigator
Well ocean tides and other phenomena are related to the proximity or phases of the moon, it would be interesting to notice any changes due to this.
Bondings
Navigator wrote:
Well ocean tides and other phenomena are related to the proximity or phases of the moon, it would be interesting to notice any changes due to this.

The tides are constantly changing due to the position of the moon. For most coastal towns there should be tide tables available that describe the sea level at low and high tide. I suppose the effect of the "super moon" would be an extra high (and extra low) tide. However the effect of a full moon is a lot bigger. If both of those are combined with a big storm that could potentially do some damage to the coast, but otherwise it's nothing special.
Voodoocat
I had never heard of a "super moon". According to NASA, this will be the closest approach by the moon in 20 years; the moon should appear 14% larger than normal.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/16mar_supermoon/

Apparently a "perigee super moon" occurs every eighteen years.

It should be an interesting view, although I don't know if I will be able to see the difference.
wellerchap
Darn clouds!! Rolling Eyes

All that fussing, and it was too cludy (north of England) to see any real difference.
As you were, men!
Very Happy
The_unnamed_label
I was looking at the sky yesterday night.. and at 7ish the moon was actually huge and honey-ish. well pretty above London..

later in the night though, when I looked again, it was normal sized, very white and bright though.

I always love looking at our sky... and it was pretty last night... although, I was expecting something more impressive... oh well...
wellerchap
I work in Leeds, and at 6pm the sun was stunning....very large, and behind a veil of cloud so you could look at it....that looked like the moon normally does then, are you sure it wasn't the sun you were looking at?
The_unnamed_label
wellerchap wrote:
I work in Leeds, and at 6pm the sun was stunning....very large, and behind a veil of cloud so you could look at it....that looked like the moon normally does then, are you sure it wasn't the sun you were looking at?

HAHA! yeah I'm sure.. was NIGHT at 7ish that day! are you sure you live in England? Wink Wink Very Happy
nigam
too bad...i missed it.....