FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Smart Phones

welshsteve
Hi everyone. I'm due a mobile phone upgrade in a few months, and have a few different handsets in mind. These are the phones I've short listed

Nokia N8
HTC HD7
HTC Desire
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Wave 2

I have never used anything other than Nokia phones: 5110, 3410, 3220,6100, 6101, 2630, 6500 Classic, 5800 Xpress Music

So I'm partial to a Nokia phone. The N8 looks amazing, but I know it's been slated in a few reviews, but most of these are reviews by people who seem obsessed with having phones that integrate directly with social networking sites, something I'm just not interested in.

What I want from a phone is:

1. Easy of use

2. Simple alpha-numeric text input with predictive texting, rather than QWERTY. I like the on-screen alpha numeric option in the Nokia 5800 XPress Music, and just do not get on with QWERTY keyboard layouts on phones.

3. A simple, easy to use email app.

4. Decent music player

5. Decent camera

I'm not interested in the iPhone because it is simply too expensive a tariff to have if you want the phone for free.

What can people recommend?
QrafTee
welshsteve wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm due a mobile phone upgrade in a few months, and have a few different handsets in mind. These are the phones I've short listed

Nokia N8
HTC HD7
HTC Desire
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Wave 2

I have never used anything other than Nokia phones: 5110, 3410, 3220,6100, 6101, 2630, 6500 Classic, 5800 Xpress Music

So I'm partial to a Nokia phone. The N8 looks amazing, but I know it's been slated in a few reviews, but most of these are reviews by people who seem obsessed with having phones that integrate directly with social networking sites, something I'm just not interested in.

What I want from a phone is:

1. Easy of use

2. Simple alpha-numeric text input with predictive texting, rather than QWERTY. I like the on-screen alpha numeric option in the Nokia 5800 XPress Music, and just do not get on with QWERTY keyboard layouts on phones.

3. A simple, easy to use email app.

4. Decent music player

5. Decent camera

I'm not interested in the iPhone because it is simply too expensive a tariff to have if you want the phone for free.

What can people recommend?
The Galaxy S as well as many recently released Android phones are simply amazing, however, it seems you have your heart set on Nokia. Just keep in mind that Nokia is jumping on the Windows 7 Mobile bandwagon now so... yeah. Get ready for some big changes in the future.
welshsteve
Thanks, so is the N8 going to use Windows Mobile 7 or are they sticking to Symbian 3 for that device?
flamepjlh
"Hi everyone. I'm due a mobile phone upgrade in a few months, and have a few different handsets in mind. These are the phones I've short listed

Nokia N8
HTC HD7
HTC Desire
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Wave 2"

I think if you have time to spend on this, HTC Desire or HTC Desire Z is recommanded.

But if you do not have much time, just take it for everyday use, I think Nokia N8 will be better.
Twisted Evil
therimalaya
HTC or Samsung would be an option, if you have got bored with Nokia. I like HTC and Samsung, but LG is also a nice option.
welshsteve
Thanks guys. So much choice!!! Confused Confused Confused Confused
jilbs
Choose Samsung Galaxy S. i meets all your requirements for sure. im getting one this payday. Very Happy
pll
The HTC HD7 is amazing and it will surely compete with the Galaxy as it's the same software inside.
welshsteve
thanks again guys, both of these phones look really good. I am also quite impressed with the look and features of the new HTC Desire S. The only thing that's sending me Nokia's way at the moment is the brilliant 12 megapixel camera because I need a new camera as well, and getting both in one device is perfect for me Smile choices choices LOL Smile
cybersa
If you want,
Good Camera:Nokia N8
Good Android OS:Galaxy S
QrafTee
welshsteve wrote:
thanks again guys, both of these phones look really good. I am also quite impressed with the look and features of the new HTC Desire S. The only thing that's sending me Nokia's way at the moment is the brilliant 12 megapixel camera because I need a new camera as well, and getting both in one device is perfect for me Smile choices choices LOL Smile
Just remember, a jack-of-all-trades is a master of none.
welshsteve
Been having more of a think on this now and I'm being swayed more and more towards the HTC Desire S. In fact, I've pretty much made up my mind about it. I really wanted to give the Nokia N8 a go but have been put off by numerous bad reviews about the operating system on it. Constant prompts etc. At the moment I have to say it's HTC Desire S I'm going for. Samsung Galaxy S looks very good, but it's a little big.
lightwate
Hi, have you bought your phone yet? I'm also having the same problem as you are about choosing smartphones. And like you, I've narrowed down my choices to HTC Desire S and the Samsung Galaxy S. (Though I might buy an LG optimus 2x next month if i win the 50% discount they have at my country).

Anyway, just want to let you know that you might want to wait for June if you haven't bought a phone yet. Because more phones are expected to launch that month Very Happy
welshsteve
Yeah I got the HTC Desire S. Awesome phone. Galaxy S2 is a great phone but its huge
cybersa
HTC Desire S nice selection.
I have HTC Desire.
While I'm buying the HTC Desire,I missed the "S". LOL
pll
I noted that the galaxy S and / or the Nexus S was the iphone killers and I'd surely go with that if I hadn't already had an iphone.
Rajiev
cybersa wrote:
HTC Desire S nice selection.
I have HTC Desire.
While I'm buying the HTC Desire,I missed the "S". LOL

Well, I had my eye(s) on the N8 too. but It was a too risky business cos I was planning to buy it over eBay and the phone is full of bugs Sad So I had to let it go. To put some cherry on top, i had some rough time where everything I got ends up broken without any good reason.

But Now I have aims for Samsung Galaxy SII i9100 which is just a simple W O W Surprised
(although its camera is NOT on par with the Nokia's nCool. But the main issues with this gadget is that it is a bit too bulky :S Yo, SAMSUNG, didn't you hear us when we said Galaxy S is a bit too big :S

AW, I don't mind a big phone. But I wonder Hows the durability if this device since it is sooooooooooo thin comparing to its width :S

Awz, Congrats with your HTC! It seems a pretty descent device with no major drawbacks of what so ever. Hows the Screen quality? Are you satisfied with it ?
welshsteve
Screen quality is excellent. It's fast and responsive and very simple to use Smile
cybersa
Htc Desire:
Screen quality is nice.
But while in sunlight it not good.
Its ok for me.
SultanMA
Samsung Galaxy S is the best mobile phone for u. Really u will love it Smile
futurcat
Very happy with Galaxy S2. The only thing is that I did not find a nice docking station with speakers.
cbhattarai
After S2, now you need to see the new S3 and the Lumia 910.
cybersa
cbhattarai wrote:
After S2, now you need to see the new S3 and the Lumia 910.

I'm also eager to See new Samsung Galaxy SIII.
Already there many rumors out there.