FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Win xp or win 98 ( donnow about latest version)

statusfashions
i had gone for windows xp from win 98 three months back. lately i am realising that win 98 was much more better than xp.
donnow what would the later version be like.
every now n then i am getting errors and bugsin xp.
security is also making my life harder by rejecting many programs at start itself even when i have permitted the programs earlier.
any one have any suggestions???
James007
1. Check whether your system meets the minimum requirements for installing Windows XP home.

2. Update your system. Go to the windows XP update page and update your system.

3. If this doesn't work, try a clean install of XP. Backup your files and try to install XP again.

James Smile
Kd527
That's Micro$ux for you! :p I don't really know what to do about that except to not use windoze...
Fortinbras
Are you using XP Home or Professional version? I had the Home version and experienced many of the same problems, but professional is vastly superior and I don't have any of the same issues anymore. Normally i assume version differences like these are made up of mostly additional features, but xp pro does not experience many of the nuances of home.

just my .02
mark
Personally, I think that XP is a lot better than Win 98. Yes, there are several bugs & some of em were fixed in SP2. Try updating your system via the windows update page or enable automatic updates. Check the security level of your firewall.
I think that windows firewall isnt any good. Buy your own one. Also, if your computer has less resources (memory), you can try msconfig and disable some items.
bbjai20
Window$ XP is still better than Win98 (many ways).

There is no perfect applications and operating systems. Type of hardwares and softwares configuration do contribute a source of error to any application you run.

Advise you update all the neccessary drivers to up to the date. Follow the exact way of installation for 3rd parties softwares.

Last time i did encounter problems after I did the wrong sequence to install a 3rd parties accounting system and cystal reports. Some software rely upon the others software.

If OS crashes a program, it's noob to blame to the OS alone.

Wink
hcjgh
if you compare xp ad 98 i think xp are better bu you really need good antivirus program- a really good one. But linux rulz!!
dandollinger
When XP first came out, i thought 98 was better, but when i bout an xp computer of my own, i hate working with 98 computers. Windows XP is better and easier to modify. Linux is also better, i have linux 8.0 (rehat). I am also looking forward to Windows VIsta coming out at th end of next year. Cool
Cerebral Stasis
Windows XP Professional is my favorite operating system, simply for it's simplicity and compatibility; in Linux, for example, it's a chore just to install and launch an application. Some may say I'm stupid, and maybe I am, but I don't see why it can't be a simple double click - install - run interface like in Windows. As for Mac, it would probably be my second favorite (after Windows XP), simply for it's stability, simple interface, and such. I do, however, find the lack of compatibility with most applications (since most things are made for Windows; especially high-end programs and games) and the one-button mouse to be quite annoying.
EJK-lifesaving-nederland
Crappy computers need windows 98... good computers use windows xp... crappy computers dont like updates... good computers like updates... crappy computers are crappy... so what about the good computers? they get f*cked by microsoft windows xp using 128 MB of ur RAM memory Evil or Very Mad
wistom
In a word the win xp is better than 98, but it depend on the computer hardsystem . If the compter was buy before 1999year, i thank you may use 98 better. i use xp dont have so much problem for one year. but now i have some problem for the system. i just clear install it all the problem gone.
yjwong
Windows XP is sure more stable than Windows 98.
One big difference is that Windows 98, when there is a new device, you need to download the driver, unlike XP.

Windows XP is surely overpriced...and the requirements are more
Windows 98 has little features, and that was an operating system almost 6 years back...

If you want, try Mac OS or Linux!
lbs
I tried Win XP Pro SP2 on my 3 GHz P3 512 Mb ram and it was much less stable than 98 SE. And a lot of my programes would not work on XP and there was no XP version of some of them. 98 SE is a lot snappier too. So I reinstalled 98 SE and am happy with it. This is a new computer too, not just any old thing, but I do not remeber the brand of the mobo. Gigabit maybe? and Radion something video (Notice i'm not a gamer!).

OK I lied, its my dads, I only use linux for my personal use Very Happy
waiteck
If you guys are using an original version as I did, you guys shld have no problems. Caz I am encountering no problems Razz
kansloos
I installed Win2000 on a slow PC that I own. It worked fine
You could play Half-Life 1 smooth on it.

But then I installed WinXP and it sucked.

I only discovered a few differences between WinXp and Win2000
and Win2000 is pretty stable.

so for slow PC's I recommend Windows 2000
nntien
statusfashions wrote:
i had gone for windows xp from win 98 three months back. lately i am realising that win 98 was much more better than xp.
donnow what would the later version be like.
every now n then i am getting errors and bugsin xp.
security is also making my life harder by rejecting many programs at start itself even when i have permitted the programs earlier.
any one have any suggestions???

I dont think so. In case of your problem, you can try to reinstall your OS again.
Windows XP's very good, I think!
tyxl
make shure you got installede SP2 and most new updates. If you got problems with the firewall you can still switch it on or off. Like you want it on that moment. Annyway i diddn't have anny blue screens of death since i use XP and i had manny on win 98.
fogoextremo
I've got the same problems, but it seems that now with the upgrades, I don't get that kind of errors, but the compability, it's a different thing. Most of my Win98 programs do not work on XP... But nobodys perfect.
Bye
ocalhoun
windows 2000 is more reliable and faster than windows XP
(Microsoft has been going more or less downhill in these catagories ever since DOS)
prongs_386
xp is better once its configured the way you want, i find once you update everything then get rid of thigns you dont want ie, firewall, it works great(i use a 3rd party firewall)
quartz
Windows XP is more stable system than Windows 98. It automaticaly recognizes and installs most hardware you have. So if you have at least 1Ghz CPU with 256Mb RAM you may install Windows XP. It will work little bit slow but stable.
If your PC is slower then i sugest to install Windows 2000. It is also stable, but not all games will work.

If you are not doing install/remove software frequently and have only few software you need for your work (e.g. Office, mail client,..) Windows 98 will work good for you.
ee82hl
WinXP is definitely better. Win98 is really out dated and does not support hyperthreading. I don't think it support USB well. I personally use win 2000 pro. I feel that its a better OS than winXP, though winXP is definitely better than win98.
MeleceNi
A very pity thing is

XP without real dos model...
dan751
ocalhoun wrote:
windows 2000 is more reliable and faster than windows XP
(Microsoft has been going more or less downhill in these catagories ever since DOS)

It's becuase there are so many services builtin to XP. So that's why you tweak it to your liking. I did with mine, and does it ever go fast or what! It goes like lightning.Wink
thiamshui
This is wad i tink..

WinDoze 98 is betta than windoze XP if u want a mean machine for gaming.. Windoze XP itself takes up quite an amount of memory and if u hav a old computer, it is betta to go Windoze 98..

I tried Linux myself but I'm not quite used to it.. And I missed all the Windoze programs I had when my OS was Windoze.. I heard that Linux is betta and more stable, but it feels kind of laggy when I'm using it.. Puzzling..
quartz
dan751 wrote:

It's becuase there are so many services builtin to XP. So that's why you tweak it to your liking. I did with mine, and does it ever go fast or what! It goes like lightning.Wink

Not all peoples know which services and how to disable. Its not wery easy thing.
amaudy
I remember in my history.

For win98 I must reinstall every month for solve the problem of Windows crash, Blue screen.

For win me (Millenium edition) I not different win98.

For Windows 2000 Professional, Wow It more stable than win98,winme but I not impression in reason I can't play some games!!

For Windows XP SP1. Wow!! It's revolution I like new user interface and I problem with some driver software but in short time.
When Micro$oft release ServicePack2 for WinXP I don't like that because it make my computer fail (Some driver not compatible and I can't boot it), Long time for ServicePack 2 will good for me (about 3 month I have new driver software for WinXP SP2)
Until now I use WinXP Professional SP2 at my home.

Very Happy
ee82hl
I feel that Window 2000 pro is more stable. Until now after using for 4 years. i have no problem. But to make full use of win 2000 pro, you need to be a bit more knowledgable in your OS. There are many things as an administrator you can do with win 2K. Compared to win XP, it is easier for win 2K admin to manipulate their OS.
ocalhoun
Go back to 98!
kevin
hcjgh wrote:
if you compare xp ad 98 i think xp are better bu you really need good antivirus program- a really good one. But linux rulz!!

Linux is wat more stable, yes. I have 10 hours of informatics a week so i use linux alot, but really, it complicates stuff because there are way to much distributions wich gived probs with compatibility...
fayettemat
Kd527 wrote:
That's Micro$ux for you! :p I don't really know what to do about that except to not use windoze...

i have to agree with Kd527
KHO
Actually, l think XP is a HUGE improvement on 98, first of all because l have yet to get that "Your active desktop has been diabled, click here to enable it" crap Neutral, then when you click it you get the blue screen of death saying there was a critical error, something needs to close, it might be able to coninue if you press any key (this never works) so you re-boot and get the same error Neutral, then you are forced to live without a backround, or boot in safe mode Neutral. Sure, sometimes this link worked Neutral, but for every time it didn't, l was ready to throw something at the wall (the computer was on its way up the list). When l had 98 l was ready to kill my computer, l had just switched from 95 which was WAY buggier (the 95 that is), but this was still pretty bad with alot of the same errors!! But XP fixed most of those, and l am glad for that. l don't really get too many errors on here, just that Physical memory dump completed crap, but that only happened once, and l blame Dell for that rather than Microsoft. My friend has three computers networked, all of their system specs are pretty close to each other, and they all do about the same stuff with about the same files. One is a 98, another is a 2000, and the third is an XP. Guess which one always works, Neutral the XP. The other two constantly crash, are infected like crap (part his fault, part Windows fault) and are lucky to even play sound when you turn them on, none the less do anything else. They all have the same amount of RAM, yet the XP runs almost 10x faster, and super smooth.

Then there is the fact that XP is plug and play compatable, 98 may have had some kind of claim to this (at least everywere l went to buy it it did Neutral) but it had NO DRIVERS!!!! This was one of the biggest annoyances for me. Whenever l would go buy something new and cool, l couldn't find drivers for it anywere!!!!!! lt got to the point where if the device didn't come with a disk of drivers for it, l wouldn't buy it because l knew it wouldn't work!

And all of the security flaws, there was such obvious spyware/trojans on my system that with no previous knowledge of REG. Keys l knew which ones were in fact spyware/trojans!!! This should not be so! When the REG. Key has a value of WORM it is a trojan, what part of windows doesn't know what the hell a worm is?!?!?!