FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The cost of edcucation?

pll
What's the price of the education in your country ? How much do you have to pay to get a good education?

I know that in the United-states you need to pay a lot but you can easily find good quality classes.
Where I live it costs about 3000$ per year for a university student to go to school. Do you think it's too much? not enough?

What are your thoughts ? Should education be free ?
deanhills
pll wrote:
What's the price of the education in your country ? How much do you have to pay to get a good education?

I know that in the United-states you need to pay a lot but you can easily find good quality classes.
Where I live it costs about 3000$ per year for a university student to go to school. Do you think it's too much? not enough?

Does that include accommodation and cost of living as well, or just straight University fees? If it is tuition only, what courses would this be for, as usually studying medicine would be much more expensive than the arts for example. Depending where you study medicine it could be around 38,000 US? When I think BA then depending on the subject it could be anything from 5000 to 25,000 US. So possibly the 3000US is dirt cheap then? Smile

Here is some general info about tuition fees in the US:
http://www.graduateshotline.com/costs.html

I did not realize that tuition cost used to be really low in Europe at one stage, I found an article below that says this is in the process of changing:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Comparison-of-cost-of-higher-education-around-the-world
watersoul
I owe the Student Loans Company (British Government) around 25,000 which gets deducted from my wages (like tax) depending on how much I earn. The loan covered my tuition fees and some living expenses while I was studying. At the moment my repayments are approx 70.00 per month but I'm losing my job at the end of this month so if I take a temporary minimum wage job I won't have to pay anything back due to the low income.
I don't even think about it as a debt though, more like a pseudo-tax which I'll pay for the rest of my working life! Smile
Ankhanu
I think in my area it's about $5000-8000/yr for tuition.
Peterssidan
The education is free but we have to pay for the books, and you need somewhere to live and food to eat which of course you have to pay for. I get about 26000 SEK (~4000 USD) in financial aid + 7000 SEK (~1000 USD) in housing allowance in total per year. If that is not enough we can take loans which will have to be payed back later when finished with the studies.
chatrack
Cost of education is increasing in a tremendous manner in our country. Education has already become an industry
pll
deanhills wrote:
Does that include accommodation and cost of living as well, or just straight University fees? If it is tuition only, what courses would this be for, as usually studying medicine would be much more expensive than the arts for example. Depending where you study medicine it could be around 38,000 US? When I think BA then depending on the subject it could be anything from 5000 to 25,000 US. So possibly the 3000US is dirt cheap then? Smile

No it doesn't include living fees, I mean only the tution fees + the books. Cost of living not included.
Here the tuition fees for ANY university programs are <5000$ (CAD), if you study medicine it'll cost you the same tuition fees as someone which is studying Arts History or something like that.

But the price of the books in medicine will be higher and if you study 5 years of medicine it's normal that it will cost you more than 3 years of any other program, so the <5000$ price is for a one year tuition fees + books.
inuyasha
In China, the cost of education varies from universities to universities, even between different majors. On average, 5000 RMB perhaps.
Usually it's cheaper to read in key universities. Very Happy The government partly pays your tuition. Very Happy
friho
i think let education free is hard. the price of education is huge . most of people choose go to society after high school without further education.maybe is because they are poor,maybe is they feel it's not a good choice that go to college and graduated without a good job.maybe they think go to society early have more opportunity than others.
inuyasha
friho wrote:
i think let education free is hard. the price of education is huge . most of people choose go to society after high school without further education.maybe is because they are poor,maybe is they feel it's not a good choice that go to college and graduated without a good job.maybe they think go to society early have more opportunity than others.

I'm really surprised that most people in your country go to society after high school. In my country, most people who attend high school would definitely go to university or college. Otherwise, they would give up education after junior high school.
pll
inuyasha wrote:
friho wrote:

I'm really surprised that most people in your country go to society after high school. In my country, most people who attend high school would definitely go to university or college. Otherwise, they would give up education after junior high school.

I agree, it's kinda surprising where do you live ?
GoldenEagle
The cost of my Bachelor of Science Degree was ~$200,000 USD. I went to one of the top engineering schools in the United States and have a job in process control and yield with a major semiconductor manufacturer.
Hello_World
Quote:
The cost of my Bachelor of Science Degree was ~$200,000 USD.

Oh My God! Wow. That is a LOT of money.

I have a debt of approx $15,000 but the costs of uni have increased since I went. That does not include accomodation however we also get a form of welfare whilst at uni. It's not much but it is enough to live in a very stingy manner. We also have the option of further debt to help pay for living expenses.

Up front, at uni you need to pay $500 per year plus all your books/materials, another $500-1000. The rest is in tax debt.
tecwebgames
pll wrote:

1200 reais. (600 Dollars)
Blaster
I'm at like $7000 a semester. I'm also in a state school so this is relatively cheap. I know people spending closer to like $40,000 a semester for tuition. So when talking about if mine is too high... Compared to other people I'm lucky.

And yes it is worth it. In order to get a job you pretty much need one now-a-days. Kind of sad but at the same time I guess it is better for everyone. We now have a more educated work class. However it seems this is mostly just non-sense that people learn.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I'm at like $7000 a semester. I'm also in a state school so this is relatively cheap. I know people spending closer to like $40,000 a semester for tuition. So when talking about if mine is too high... Compared to other people I'm lucky.

And yes it is worth it. In order to get a job you pretty much need one now-a-days. Kind of sad but at the same time I guess it is better for everyone. We now have a more educated work class. However it seems this is mostly just non-sense that people learn.
Are you studying full time or part time? As I can imagine fire fighting has be be quite strenuous most of the time?
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Are you studying full time or part time? As I can imagine fire fighting has be be quite strenuous most of the time?

I am a full time student. I volunteer as a fire fighter therefore i don't have to be there. I chose to be because I enjoy it. It could someday become my job choice but for now I have other things on my mind
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:

I am a full time student. I volunteer as a fire fighter therefore i don't have to be there. I chose to be because I enjoy it. It could someday become my job choice but for now I have other things on my mind
I did not realize you were volunteering. I thought it was paying for your tuition. Great that you are doing something that you like so much. Whenever you mention it, it reminds me of that movie with Kurt Russell and William Baldwin - Backdraft. That was an awesome movie. Can it really be as bad as that with firefighting?
I will invest a lot of money, as long as there is a good return, as much as possible.
Afaceinthematrix
In the U.S., depending on the university, it can be as low as $10,000 a year to as high as $30,000 a year. The state funded schools are much cheaper and so I went to the University of California and paid about $11,000 a year. Tuition has gone up a lot recently, though, so now it is more. I should mention that this does not cover books, electronic resources (some classes require you to purchase an online subscription called Web Assign which allows you to do and turn in your homework online), parking, living expenses, etc.... So you can easily pay way more than that...
adri
In Belgium you pay around 500 (650$) at tuition fees for one year of higher education. In the city where I'm attending classes you pay +300 (~400$) for a room per month. (rooms from the University itself are usually cheaper)

I don't really think you can put an estimate on the price of books for a year because it's so diverse depending on what you study. A lot of professors do write their own books, which are a lot cheaper than books from Pearson Education etc. (10$ versus 50-80$) Although this might also vary depending on your courses...

I think I paid around 500$ for my books this year. As I'm following a IT course, I don't really have any other expenses.
crystalkey
30-40K per year for a degree that has actual job potential. Sad
adnantar
I think, this should not be called as cost, but as investment. Once, you invest in your education, you get it later paid throughout your life. Even, if, it is not paid, in term of money, it still benefits you in your daily life.

I am of the opinion, that the modern media (internet / social media) should be used to reduce cost.

The situation in the third world countries is mostly due to poverty, as people dont learn and so are not aware about their rights and its effects around them and in the world.
pll
GoldenEagle wrote:
The cost of my Bachelor of Science Degree was ~$200,000 USD. I went to one of the top engineering schools in the United States and have a job in process control and yield with a major semiconductor manufacturer.

Oh my God, you should have came to canada to study.

For a student here (in any field, any public university) it costs about 2000$ - session (2 sessions per year), usually a Bachelor can be made in 3 years.
Everything else is paid by the tax payers. (it means 83% of all university costs).

Now I just want you to see what happens right here. (and want to know what you think about that).

The government in place (which was elected by the people, with a democratic way) wants to increase tuition fees up to 1625 $ on a 5 - year basis. This means the fees will increase by 325$ / per year during 5 years. So it would cost about 3625 $ for a session in the end.

The students are now angry about that, and here what it looks like :
This is my school :

This is the protests in the streets (it's like that 2-3 days a week, since one month) :

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYbSEfW0XTc
Students getting into the government building during a presentation

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HCribaXkR0&feature=relmfu
Police officers have no other choices than to use strength, this is the anti-protest squad.

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_0sXnxKmIM&feature=related
A police officer getting unjuried by something thrown by a student.

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjkJsci6Mso&feature=related
The streets looks like this since about one month.

If you look at the other youtube suggest you will see during one of the protests, the police officers have no other choice than to get back and run away from the protest.

I'd like to know what you thing about that ?
Is it legitimate for the student to protest violently like this ?
On which side would you be ?

The students in some schools have also decided to go on strike, so they are not going to school since 71 days, and they still pay for this semester.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT US ?
is it too violent ?

We are in Canada, which is a nice country but sometimes in Quebec Province it goes crazy...
deanhills
pll wrote:
I'd like to know what you thing about that ?
Is it legitimate for the student to protest violently like this ?
On which side would you be ?
Wow! What a waste! And where do the students find time to do this when they're supposed to be studying? I really don't think there is ever any justification for this kind of destruction. Probably needs to be thoroughly investigated however and hopefully the perpetrators will be dealt with firmly.
pll
deanhills wrote:
Wow! What a waste! And where do the students find time to do this when they're supposed to be studying?

At the moment they are on strike against the increase of the price, so they haven't gone to school for the last 72 days.
linux1993
Education maybe have been changing us for a lot of years . I think the most important thing is that we should really learn something that can be useful to society. In China , some students don't like their major, they often play games when they are free instead of practising their skills .When graduating from university, bad life comes!!!!
pll
I think this is true.
The governement here made an offer and the students still rejected this, I'm in a hurry to know when it will end...
linux1993
Education system must be changed ,then society will push forward. Besides ,our Chinese professor must pay more attention more than their teaching students.I don't know other country's status .
Very good, came with them to learn.
chicanh
I pay around 1000$ for tuition, i am vietnamese, my university is University of Information Technology, after graduated, i thinks could earn money to for life.
pll
You should find yourself lucky!
welshsteve
I think training such as Microsoft qualifications, or any business software training can be very expensive. Having said that, offset the cost of this against the pay prospects and it's probably worth it. Although having said that, in today's economic climate, I don't think anybody below senior management level is getting what they are worth.
munizedward
The Cost of Education (COE) is the cost of a student's medical education for an academic year, as calculated by the UNC-CH Office of Scholarships and Student Aid. It takes into account tuition, fees, books, supplies, estimated room and board, personal, and transportation costs. The COE covers expenses for the period of enrollment only. For example, most first-year students are enrolled for ten and half months. Financial aid covers expenses only for those months. Periods of continuous non-enrollment are not included and are not funded. Your financial aid is based on the Cost of Education, a standard allowance, and not on your preferences and spending habits. For more information see Money Management.
pll
Yeah ! It seems nice.
Here in Quebec the students doesn't want to talk to the government as the government is raising the tuition fees.

I find it sad that those students are ready to lose a full year (yeah, they lost all the last school year) to make activism against the government to re-drop the fees.

As a result : there is a lot of protests. It cost a lot to us and we are all losing our time.
johannespilz
in austria it is only 1000 per month. i can recommend it Wink
Gitesh
The Story in India is Better and worse. Wink
BETTER : There are many government aided colleges in every field which provide almost free education to merit candidates. Besides this if you are from reserved category you can get scholarship for just being backward and its enough to sustain you through the long years of your college. Besides this there is low cost Hostel and Mess facilities for this merit students. So only thing important is Merit here which is very hard to come. Imagine thousands of students giving entrance exam for single seat vacancy. But competition makes it sure only better candidates enter the institutions.

WORSE : There is flood of private institutes in every field including medical and engineering. Here only criteria is money., seats get alloted according to your Dads paying potential. The education here is not upto the mark as institutes main moto or aim is earning money and not quality education., so most of the income of this institutes run into advertising and not into quality education so you can imagine the quality of education there. All illegal things are to be seen in this universities from copying to distance education. No need to attend a medical college., you will get your degree without attending it., (i have seen this personelly.)
andro_king
Cost of education in India is growing high!!

The cost of education has grown by leaps and bounds.

By the time our children would be the age to pursue higher education it would already reach in crore.

What we need to do is to be prepared for the future cost of education.

This can be done when we can actually predict the future cost of education.

I had recently come across this tool called Aviva Educost (google it) which gives an insight into the future cost of higher studies based on the kind of career options your child might opt for.

Its pretty interesting and quite talked about in my friend circle too..
mukesh
Gitesh wrote:
The Story in India is Better and worse. Wink
BETTER : There are many government aided colleges in every field which provide almost free education to merit candidates. Besides this if you are from reserved category you can get scholarship for just being backward and its enough to sustain you through the long years of your college. Besides this there is low cost Hostel and Mess facilities for this merit students. So only thing important is Merit here which is very hard to come. Imagine thousands of students giving entrance exam for single seat vacancy. But competition makes it sure only better candidates enter the institutions.

WORSE : There is flood of private institutes in every field including medical and engineering. Here only criteria is money., seats get alloted according to your Dads paying potential. The education here is not upto the mark as institutes main moto or aim is earning money and not quality education., so most of the income of this institutes run into advertising and not into quality education so you can imagine the quality of education there. All illegal things are to be seen in this universities from copying to distance education. No need to attend a medical college., you will get your degree without attending it., (i have seen this personelly.)

Gitesh

You are correct that many government aided colleges in every fields but how many governments colleges which provides continues classes and target to complete courses. About all governments which always on strike, examination reason classes close, many teachers always problem not attend in college and more various reasons. So by governments colleges students cant never be qualified and need private institutes.

In India all privates Institutes and college have only one target to collect more and more rupees. If any institutes which provides good education then charge double and triple then other institutes. In this reasons middle family members can't be admission on these types of institutes.
fuzzkaizer
as someone mentioned above, education in Austria is still quite affordable to many people (but it is about to change).
here the idea maybe came from the sixtees, and was, in short, like this: education can be seen as an investment for the future. if the state finances a big part of the education of the population, it will benefit the whole society in the future. shure it is a good idea to raise the national standard of education, and there may be different ways to do that...
there are still many questions about what could be 'good' education, an if, after all, people still are as stupid as before, or if they depreciate education now, because it was given them for free, so they regard it as something 'cheap'? or what's the aim of education, rather to form a democratic, open and still solid society, or just to fulfill the needs of economy? etc.

however, maybe things are going to change and education won't be provided by the state in the european future.
pll
Agreed I think the same way.
Now we don't hear much about them because it is the summer vacations but they already plan to block the entry of the colleges/universities during the back to school.
johans
Cost of education is getting higher and higher here in the Philippines.... A lot of educated people and graduates have no work and yet paying the educations is cost too high and then you ended of nothing sad bu true..