FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the Best HTML editor for linux

jeremyhowell
I have tried numerous times to get my CS4 to install on my Linux computer, but its just not gonna happen, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a good alternative for Linux?
Marcuzzo
check the repositories.
there are plenty of 'em, I think it all comes down to personal preference.
just try a few of them and pick the one you liked most
welshsteve
I just use the built in text editor. Does the job for me Smile Never really got on with WYSIWIG editors
ayour
It always depends a bit. I do not count DW as a HTML editor. If you need it, you can safely ignore the rest of this post (and look in the app database at Codeweavers, it's mentioned there).

Quanta and Bluefish are good editors for those who need a Windoze-like interface, being based on Qt or KDE. They remind me a bit of 1stPage or Homesite and have the usual click'n'dialog buttons for common HTML elements.

personally use GViM at the moment, because its keyboard-only control is very comfortable (and the UI is faster than any Qt stuff - that does make a difference on my machine). All it takes is the 30 minutes tutorial and a quick look through the menus. And since I like to adhere to standards, e. g. XHTML, it's perfect, giving me full control over the (naturally self-written) code.

I hope this was helpful Very Happy
ocalhoun
Quanta+ by a long shot.
It has features I haven't been able to find in any other editor anywhere...
Although I prefer to type code manually, I still like how it can understand, highlight, and help organize the code... And it even understands php and java, in addition to regular HTML. ... And it has some great reference pages (for html java and php) built in, for when I forget how to do something.
(It can do WYSIWYG editing, but it defaults to my favorite, enhanced text editing.)

It's one of two programs that I have to keep a linux computer around to run.
(If Quanta had a windows version, I'd get it for windows as well, but alas, it does not.)
gabrielcastillo
I've always hand coded my html files so Vi would be the best for me. Check out intype see if they have a nix version.. or you could get vmplayer and a windows vm machine and run DW. I always have a VW machine on my workstations so I can switch between windows and nix. This might be a good solution for you.
loyal
Is notepad++ not available for Linux? I love that editor
loonix
I use KompoZer for linux. Seems to do all I need it too.
Warnner
Amaya is a free and great HTML editor for linux, windows and mac platforms.
You can download Free HTML Editor for your favorite platform.

Scavenger Hunt Game | Treasure Hunt Game
SultanMA
Bluefish for the win!!