FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how much do you pay for your Catv

snowynight
by caTV I mean cable TV... in my country I have to pay 35 us dollars for annual use. my salary is 700 dollars per month.
Peterssidan
In my country it is more common to receive TV signals through air, at least where I live. There is a fee of 173 kronor (27 USD) / month for everyone who owns, rents or borrows a television receiver. Cable TV exists but then there is an additional price to pay to the company that handles it.
deanhills
I get Nilesat satellite TV where I am. Some of the channels are blocked - such as lately BBC and Fox Movies as well, so if I want access I would need to subscribe, but I'm not that much into TV that I would want to do that. For local news I can get Al Jazeera and EuroNews for free. Fox News is blocked, so from what I've heard in the Politics Forum, that is lucky. There is also CNN and Bloomberg for free. I get most of my news from the US through the Internet. For TV entertainment I can get Fox Series, MBC Action, MBC 4, MBC MAX and DubaiOne for free as well.

In Canada there was a basic charge for Cable TV, and if one wanted extra Channels like the History Channel and PBS, one had to pay extra, but for some or other reason the extras were always unblocked. I can't remember exactly what the charge was, as that has been some time now, but I think it was 25US. I must say I miss PBS as it operates mostly through local subscription, rather than advertising, and always had some excellent documentaries in its programmes. The quality of TV programmes here in the UAE versus what I had in Canada is very low. Even if I should subscribe to the better Channels.
watersoul
I don't have cable myself as I watch very little TV, but here in the UK it's around 30.00 per month for a basic package. If you get your internet via cable plus the full sports and movie add-ons I know some folk who spend up to 90.00 per month.
standready
I get my television signal the old fashion way - over the antenna! Don't watch enough to pay (30 USD per month minimum) for any type of premium service.
skilz4never
snowynight wrote:
by caTV I mean cable TV... in my country I have to pay 35 us dollars for annual use. my salary is 700 dollars per month.
Never checked
Nameless
Zero. I haven't even watched free-to-air antenna TV other than the news in weeks.
snowynight
Peterssidan wrote:
In my country it is more common to receive TV signals through air, at least where I live. There is a fee of 173 kronor (27 USD) / month for everyone who owns, rents or borrows a television receiver. Cable TV exists but then there is an additional price to pay to the company that handles it.

Amazing, but through air, do you mean recieving satellite signals? That is a good way to deal with all the receivers.

Sweden is a beautiful country our teachers used to tell us about.
snowynight
Nameless wrote:
Zero. I haven't even watched free-to-air antenna TV other than the news in weeks.

I don't watch TV myself either. My mother loves those - a mon avi- boring TV plays. I am trying to persuade her into some internet based TV channels. In my country all satellites and TV stations are owned by the state. And we are forbidden to watch any programmes from abroad.
Peterssidan
snowynight wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

Amazing, but through air, do you mean recieving satellite signals? That is a good way to deal with all the receivers.

No I talk about terrestrial television. You can pay extra to get more channels. Satellite or cable is needed to receive more exotic channels because the radio spectrum is limited.
deanhills
snowynight wrote:
Nameless wrote:

I don't watch TV myself either. My mother loves those - a mon avi- boring TV plays. I am trying to persuade her into some internet based TV channels. In my country all satellites and TV stations are owned by the state. And we are forbidden to watch any programmes from abroad.
My mother used to have two TVs in her living room. One for watching sports programmes, as she was crazy about cricket and rugby and used to keep log sheets on both (South Africa) and the other for local and international soaps. Next to that was a whole set up of telescope, binoculars and camera as her retirement condo had a view of a bird habitat/grassland swamp. She was studying all the birds she could spot, so next thing she was writing a book for children about an egret orphan.
Ghost900
I just watch over the air TV when/if I ever decide to watch it. In the US over the air basic stations are free just like a radio signal.

Cable in the US is about $30 - $40 or so a month for a decent list of channels.
eday2010
We haven't had cable for two years. At $68/month for basic cable plus the next package up, it was a bit much. Now I download all the shows I want to watch. When we move into the country I want to get free-to-air satellite.

Cable was affordable before digital cable came out. Once that hit, they charged you more for just the service, plus then they would rent you a cable box and charge you a digital network fee on top of that. The prices they ask for for cable is just too damn much.