FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Upgrading from XP to Windows 7

weableandbob
I was thinking of upgrading from XP to Windows 7 fairly soon, but I know that you can't directly upgrade like you can from Vista to 7. Instead, there's a roundabout way of installing 7 over your current partition, which saves your files in a Windows.old folder. While that's better than just having a clean install, I was wondering if it would be easier to borrow a copy of Vista from someone, upgrade to that, then upgrade to 7.
rockpan
Are you sure you can upgrade from XP to VISTA?
Fire Boar
That would require having both Windows Vista AND Windows 7. Plus, an upgrade is very likely to go wrong anyway - two doubles your chances of a catastrophe and doubles the number of minor issues.

I'd suggest simply backing up all of your files on another computer or external hard disk, then reinstalling from scratch. Just make sure you have drivers compatible with your new operating system for all of your hardware available before you start!
ms_j
^ I agree! What would be the point of upgrading? Just more unnecessary files on your computer. Backup, reformat, install! I had XP and switched to 7. It took me about 15 minutes to reformat the hard drive and install Win7. I am not kidding. I never had Vista and I never installed it, but compared to XP 7 is really easy and FAST for installing.
k_s_baskar
many xp programmes working in xp is not supported by windows 7. so don't upgrade without knowing compatibility of softwares you are using with win 7
Aredon
why not just use the transfer wizard to create a backup, and then fresh install a new OS?

Also I would not recommend upgrading from XP to vista or 7, there's too many driver differences that are likely to give you a nice fat BSOD. Upgrading from vista to 7 is pretty much seamless... since they're basically the same OS. (NT 7.0 vs NT 7.1)
ms_j
k_s_baskar wrote:
many xp programmes working in xp is not supported by windows 7. so don't upgrade without knowing compatibility of softwares you are using with win 7

So I've heard, but I have yet to find such program. Everything works for me. If everything else fails, there's the "compatibility mode". Very Happy
ProwerBot
Upgrading is not a good idea. There's always weird junk left behind and your computer will run like crapola. Saving your stuff somewhere and then formatting, and doing a fresh clean install of windows 7 is the way to go, you'll have less problems (except for hardware issues or something).
Aredon
ProwerBot wrote:
Upgrading is not a good idea. There's always weird junk left behind and your computer will run like crapola. Saving your stuff somewhere and then formatting, and doing a fresh clean install of windows 7 is the way to go, you'll have less problems (except for hardware issues or something).

Completely agree, installing fresh is the way to go. Besides, installing fresh once a year or something similar is a good habit to get into. Teaches you to back up your important data and keeps your system running smooth.
achowles
Just back up everything you need, format and install you new OS. A clean start is generally a good idea every now and again anyway, never mind when you're upgrading.

A list of things you might want to consider backing up first:
- Download drivers compatible with Windows 7. Windows 7 should cover most things but this will help you get up and running a lot faster if you have the latest drivers to hand.
- Don't forget to download the drivers related to your internet connection in particular. Again, 7 should cover this. But don't take any chances.
- Download Win 7 versions of the install files for all your favourite programs, including security software.
- Don't forget to back up your bookmarks.
- Naturally you'd want to back up all your work and save games. But you knew that already, right? Very Happy
kourtaki
The best way to upgrade windows is the clear install of new OS.
I was tried to upgrade win xp at Vista and win xp to Windows 7 on 2 different PC.
I have problems.
After clear install all working perfect.
welshsteve
I would always recommend the following:

1. Backup all your data
2. Backup all your hardware drivers and ensure you have Windows 7 versions of them all.
3. Format the hard disk
4. Install Windows 7 from scratch

This is the only way to guarantee a clean install in my opinion. Upgrading is almost always a painful process.
lifeplaysu420
i upgraded last week an almost eveyrthing worked fine, few things had to get fixes for windows 7 from xp. but all an all was worth it.
inuyasha
ms_j wrote:
^ I agree! What would be the point of upgrading? Just more unnecessary files on your computer. Backup, reformat, install! I had XP and switched to 7. It took me about 15 minutes to reformat the hard drive and install Win7. I am not kidding. I never had Vista and I never installed it, but compared to XP 7 is really easy and FAST for installing.

I can't agree more! Just install a brand-new Windows Seven and your system would be more efficient. It's better to upgrade it. But unfortunately my laptop stays with windows XP for years.
ms_j
achowles wrote:
Just back up everything you need, format and install you new OS. A clean start is generally a good idea every now and again anyway, never mind when you're upgrading.

A list of things you might want to consider backing up first:
- Download drivers compatible with Windows 7. Windows 7 should cover most things but this will help you get up and running a lot faster if you have the latest drivers to hand.
- Don't forget to download the drivers related to your internet connection in particular. Again, 7 should cover this. But don't take any chances.
- Download Win 7 versions of the install files for all your favourite programs, including security software.
- Don't forget to back up your bookmarks.
- Naturally you'd want to back up all your work and save games. But you knew that already, right? Very Happy

Oh I would just add emails and email addresses. I tend to forget those Embarassed
portoskt
i think is better option to make backup of data, and install fresh win 7. upgrading i have try few times, and never finish complete satisfied...
nepalstar
I think it's always better to install fresh copy of Operating System than upgrading old Operating System... Few weeks ago I upgraded my old OS Windows XP to Windows 7 but I got some problem specially loading the OS but after installing new fresh Operating System Windows 7, amazingly it's fast... so I suggest to install new fresh Operating System than upgrading old one..
deanhills
nepalstar wrote:
I think it's always better to install fresh copy of Operating System than upgrading old Operating System... Few weeks ago I upgraded my old OS Windows XP to Windows 7 at work but encountered the same problem specially loading the OS but after installing new fresh Operating System Windows 7, amazingly it's fast... so I suggest to install new fresh Operating System than upgrading old one..
Totally agreed. Horrors Shocked We tried to upgrade a standalone computer at work from Windows Vista to Windows 7 and that was a TOTAL disaster. In the end we had to do the same. Start from scratch with Windows 7 and now it is working fine .... and as you said, amazingly fast .... Very Happy
celebi269
You're all right. My classmate tried upgrading Vista to 7 from his laptop, and it was a TOTAL WRECK.
Clean install will ensure the safety and sureness of the OS installed in your PC.
socialsp
Sure you can't upgrade so easy from xp to windows 7. You must make a clean install. That means you have to format your hardisk and do the installation.
k_s_baskar
ms_j wrote:
k_s_baskar wrote:

So I've heard, but I have yet to find such program. Everything works for me. If everything else fails, there's the "compatibility mode". Very Happy

XP compatibility mode is nice option is win7 but not all winxp programs work in it.
Tuvitor
I have to say I'm with all the people who say "back up your important files and install Windows 7 fresh"
mukesh
This is possible to update windows xp to vista or 7 ?

Anyway update possible but this is not a successful good Idea.
sysna
I recommend you to forget xp, backup all your data and install win 7 as your main and only os, win xp was good but now 7 is the master. about softwares that don't wok on windows 7 you can use the xp mode virtualizer of windows 7 and run all of them.

by the way win 7 is itself old now and i think it is the time to say goodbye to win xp for ever.
deanhills
Although I agree with you that Windows 7 is state of the art operating software and we need to move away from XP, it's quite interesting that we don't seem to be able to find new XP software any where. There must still be millions of people using Windows XP and for now seem to be OK with it. I'm almost certain however that at some or other point it's going to force us to change when some of the features we would like to install are not compatible with Windows XP. For beginners I can't upgrade to Windows 9 or versions after that as it requires Windows 7 for operating software. I'm OK with that however, as IE is not one of my favourite browsers. I prefer Mozilla Firefox and only use IE when I really have to. IE8 is quite OK for my purposes.
codemaster
I feel something would go wrong during the process of upgrading from xp to vista. Due to the fact that it may mess up your computer or file may be lost if things go the wrong way.
jasonmilsont
The response is yes and no. Your components may be able to back up Windows 7 and you will be able to substitute XP with the new os. What you can't do is execute a immediate update from XP that helps you to save all your set up programs and information.