FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

don just copy/paste

PGe-tips
On this forum a lot of post are really of extremely low quality ...the Business model behind Frihost atracts a lot of poor quality post. Most of you simply post to get your points on the positive side. But if you really are looking for some valuable information questions tend be stay unanswered or often simply a paste from a google results ...
To my opinion Frihost should rethink there model with an open mind. Free webhosting without adds is really not so unique ... so why try to get a forum filled ...
Copy/pasting should be done to get something creative or a new original ...reproduction sucks !
engammalsko
Just one comment... Isn't Ctrl+Z undo in all operating systems?

Shouldn't it be Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V?
Well, nevermind. I agree with you. Because 80% of all times I post just to get more points.
deanhills
engammalsko wrote:
Just one comment... Isn't Ctrl+Z undo in all operating systems? Shouldn't it be Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V?
Completely agreed, at least Ctrl+C should feature to make it copy before paste. I don't agree however that most of the posts are copy and paste. There are individuals who take a lot of trouble over their postings, with plenty of research and careful thought. And even those who copy and paste with a one line of original thought, can have something interesting to say in their one line.

But let's for argument sake say that PGe-tips is right, and most of the posts are of low quality, what business system does he propose to increase the quality of the posts? He recommends no advertising, but let us for even greater argument sake say there is no advertising, does he think the quality of the posts will increase?

I don't think the standard of posting is perfect, but neither is it imperfect. I am happy Bondings can cover the overheads with advertising, as he has also chosen the advertising very carefully so that I am hardly aware of it. It is very subtle and understated advertising.

Some people are unable to contribute high-standard postings because maybe they just can't write English well, but even when they can't write good English, I find something interesting in their postings. That is what I like about this Forum as well, that anyone can post, and that Bondings allows a lot of latitude in their quality of English, which gives them the opportunity to practice and get better. There was a thread a little while ago (I can't remember exactly where) where Frihosters have indicated how much they have been able to improve their English at Frihost.

I also prefer some imperfection, as if all of the postings would have been mostly in perfect English, the perfection would have become boring after a while. When people write English with a foreign accent, it also sounds much more interesting than it would have in perfect English. They also bring new insights from their own cultures, that can be both educational and entertaining.
standready
I don't agree that most post are copy and paste.
When Bondings started Frihost, there were very few, if any, that offered free webhosting without ads on each site. I think Bondings set the trend. Even here on these forums, ads are not very intrusive.
PGe-tips
I don't care about good english ... content is what matters (however Turkish is not really understandable for me). So if I do a search on as an example" Joomla 1.6 on Frihost and I find no answers wit dedicated info on how this runs on Frihost.org ... well that's just an indication that the forum members didn't asked questions before on this topic... which can be considered as a core topic of a hosting website...sad !

My point was that the model of Frihost.com is outdated ... offering free webhosting if you post 1 post a day on a forum. that would be reasonable if the forum is of god quality...sadly this is not.
I personally find it hard to post a quality post per day simply because there are no good topics. So starting one your own is the only alternative, but again getting good feed-back is crucial to keep a topic alive and that the content is worth reading.

OK I made my point ...
deanhills
PGe-tips wrote:
I personally find it hard to post a quality post per day simply because there are no good topics. So starting one your own is the only alternative, but again getting good feed-back is crucial to keep a topic alive and that the content is worth reading.

OK I made my point ...
Thanks for the explanation PGe-tips. I now have a better understanding what you meant and you made a good point. There have been threads in the Suggestion Forum that have discussed the IT related Forums and thought that if they could be better organized, that they may generate more postings of substance and a higher standard of quality. So obviously there are others who think the same as you do.

I checked up on the Suggestions Forum, and this is one of the threads I was thinking about with regard to the point you made:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-108471.html
snowynight
PGe-tips wrote:
On this forum a lot of post are really of extremely low quality ...the Business model behind Frihost atracts a lot of poor quality post. Most of you simply post to get your points on the positive side. But if you really are looking for some valuable information questions tend be stay unanswered or often simply a paste from a google results ...
To my opinion Frihost should rethink there model with an open mind. Free webhosting without adds is really not so unique ... so why try to get a forum filled ...
Copy/pasting should be done to get something creative or a new original ...reproduction sucks !

I love the picture in your post, which is interesting.
This is a good forum when i come to ask and answer some questions. When a simple question occurs you can google and tell them answers... It is not practical to work out all the precedures yourself before you reply to a post.

But i agree with you in that Googleable questions should be resolved by the poster him/herself. So when such a question pops up why not tell him/her the answer and then ask, "don't you know how to google yourself?"
ProwerBot
Copy and pasting is ok if you're just printing out a sheet for information on how to do something, but for posting on a forum or claiming it as your own is just plain wrong.
spring567
Admin will delete the post if you copy frm other sites without reference.
Ghost900
I think that while a lot of people do write less than adequate posts there are also many users who write some helpful and informative posts as well. As for the IT and Coding sub forums I have gotten a lot of help from a number of users regarding HTML and PHP and am glad for that. I think that there are some limits to how a site that offers ad free web hosting can go. A rating system could be added to the forum that users could rate others comments as they do in Youtube Comments areas. This would give more points to good posts and less points to those that would just post something repetitive and generic like "Good Photo" to somebodies picture. This would be a solution but may have to be turned off in certain forums where it may be abused such as a religion or political discussion.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
engammalsko wrote:
Just one comment... Isn't Ctrl+Z undo in all operating systems? Shouldn't it be Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V?
Completely agreed, at least Ctrl+C should feature to make it copy before paste.

C'mon guys... I seriously doubt he made the graphic, no need to critique it Razz

deanhills wrote:
I don't agree however that most of the posts are copy and paste. There are individuals who take a lot of trouble over their postings, with plenty of research and careful thought. And even those who copy and paste with a one line of original thought, can have something interesting to say in their one line.

But let's for argument sake say that PGe-tips is right, and most of the posts are of low quality, what business system does he propose to increase the quality of the posts? He recommends no advertising, but let us for even greater argument sake say there is no advertising, does he think the quality of the posts will increase?

deanhills wrote:
I don't think the standard of posting is perfect, but neither is it imperfect.

You might want to reconsider checking the definition of imperfect Wink

deanhills wrote:
Some people are unable to contribute high-standard postings because maybe they just can't write English well, but even when they can't write good English, I find something interesting in their postings. That is what I like about this Forum as well, that anyone can post, and that Bondings allows a lot of latitude in their quality of English, which gives them the opportunity to practice and get better. There was a thread a little while ago (I can't remember exactly where) where Frihosters have indicated how much they have been able to improve their English at Frihost.

I also prefer some imperfection, as if all of the postings would have been mostly in perfect English, the perfection would have become boring after a while. When people write English with a foreign accent, it also sounds much more interesting than it would have in perfect English. They also bring new insights from their own cultures, that can be both educational and entertaining.

This, I think, misses the point of PGe's post (EDIT - he covered this, but, hey, so will I Razz ). He gave no indication whatsoever that he took issue with the ability of some posters to express themselves in English due to language barriers, nor any indication that grammar was an issue for him. His post was entirely concerned with content, not presentation. Posts that are poorly written but contain information aren't the problem.

Posting for hosting where only letter count really matters leads to a lot of shallow posting. Obviously not everyone follows this model, there are many good, thoughtful posters on Frih... but I would say they are the exception rather than the rule (I'd estimate about 2 dozen or so of the thousands of registered users). Through a quick perusal of the board it's pretty clear that a lot of posts are just made to be made, rather than to make a contribution. We end up with very general topics, and like PGe said, good questions often go unanswered and more specific topics just never gain content. With a user base as large and diverse as Frih's, you would think it would be a good location to ask specific questions about just about any topic... but it's a terrible source. For any kind real questioning, it's best to look elsewhere.
For example, obviously, I think the threads I create are good (don't we all??) and thought provoking... but, all but one of my threads on various topics have died with maybe 2 posts. More often, we end up with threads like "Dog", started out with contentless dribble like:
ericwall wrote:
i love my little yorkie. he is so cute.

I mean, a thread about someone's dog is all fine and good... if it contains information. How about some information about the breed, the specific dog, what about them make them good dogs, why should I be pleased that I clicked that thread title to read the posts within?? All too often I encounter posts that just make me rage inside with "WHY did you post this? What was the $*&! point!? Did you read anything else in the thread??" For me, it's less about copy/paste, that doesn't happen too much (though it happens), it's the drivel posts that get my ire, the textual diarrhea.

Of course, a model for posting that rewards actual content rather than volume is impossible to create on a scale as large as Frih... at least not without hiring a team of mods to score every post based on its content and relevancy to the thread it's in. But, that requires money and would be a really craptacular model. There isn't an easy answer.

Ghost900 wrote:
I think that there are some limits to how a site that offers ad free web hosting can go. A rating system could be added to the forum that users could rate others comments as they do in Youtube Comments areas. This would give more points to good posts and less points to those that would just post something repetitive and generic like "Good Photo" to somebodies picture. This would be a solution but may have to be turned off in certain forums where it may be abused such as a religion or political discussion.

That's actually not a bad idea, it gets at the idea of content over length without requiring a huge paradigm shift. I don't think that it's really a problem for the Religion or Politics threads though. How would it be more easily abused there than elsewhere?
spring567 wrote:
Admin will delete the post if you copy frm other sites without reference.

Yeah, that's true, but generates so much extra work for the mods. Why not try to avoid the scenario in the first place? Much better on all accounts.
Bluedoll
My 2 cents or should that be 2 pennies or maybe 2 coins of equal value is . .

As a business model it might be true that it may attract less than quality posts, it can be made better by a admin and community that seeks to maintain some order of quality.

I do not wish to comment on the $ side of the business model because it is simply not my business. Community however is my business because I am a part of it. That is worth, oh about, 2 cents?
Laughing

Copy and paste is actually a do, if quotes are used as long as the paste is not too too large in that case a link is more appropriate. Posts are really I think about common sense but what I am studying now is the relationship aspect between what one person thinks is best compared to another.
noobcake
I've never found a reason to start a useful thread on Frihost, since everything I need I can usually find out elsewhere, either through a Google search or through some website better suited for answering my questions due to a (seemingly?) more technically competent community (e.g. SO).

I'm not sure what it would take to develop a good community on Frihost, but I'm sure free hosting is not enough. Maybe if Frihost created/sponsored a widely-used technology, or is the only free provider of some good and useful piece of software (like being the only free hosting to support Python [Django]), then it would be the go-to place for discussions regarding that technology, but that's not such an easy thing to do.

On another line of thought, I'm thinking that a business model based on giving out free hosting would attract the type of people who want free hosting (programmers/developers). I think it also shows on the recent post how most of the posts are on the sciences and technology, so the general theme of the website should be about that too. (e.g. competitions should be more geared towards programming or developing something and less on essays about life). Sure, it's an exclusive club (only developers can take part), but it's in my experience all strong communities are exclusive, and I don't think much of the Frihost community would be ostracized if Frihost catered more to developers/programmers.

Just my two (hundred) cents.
ProfessorY91
noobcake wrote:
I've never found a reason to start a useful thread on Frihost, since everything I need I can usually find out elsewhere, either through a Google search or through some website better suited for answering my questions due to a (seemingly?) more technically competent community (e.g. SO).

I'm not sure what it would take to develop a good community on Frihost, but I'm sure free hosting is not enough. Maybe if Frihost created/sponsored a widely-used technology, or is the only free provider of some good and useful piece of software (like being the only free hosting to support Python [Django]), then it would be the go-to place for discussions regarding that technology, but that's not such an easy thing to do.

Now that is a quality post. I also have experimented with the technically competent community here, but the reality is that you're getting a random sampling of the internet community. Of those people, there will always be a certain percentage that consider themselves to be more than adept with computers, and therefore qualified to offer solutions to your problems. I've long since learned that actual technical communities are a much better place to get answers to specific questions, if searching on Google doesn't lead me to the answer first.

The quality of posts on Frihost is honestly degrading. The number of spelling mistakes and simple grammatical mistakes in the titles of posts on the front page of the General Chat forum is appalling. I understand the need for Frihost to support a community where native English speakers aren't favored, but someone should halt the descent into garbled junk. I have no suggestions or solutions to clean up the forums here, as I'm certain that my views are inconsistent with the vast majority of frihosters. My sole reason for remaining is the quality hosting that Frihost offers, for free.
Greatking
i think Google post is wrong.
to just copy and paste does not show how creative or interested you are in the post and that is not good enough.
i believe that Google is there to help in researching, this is to clear up your mind about something you don't understand or what clarification with.
the posts should come from you and perhaps a little ideas to help explain better what you are trying to say.
deanhills
noobcake wrote:
Sure, it's an exclusive club (only developers can take part), but it's in my experience all strong communities are exclusive, and I don't think much of the Frihost community would be ostracized if Frihost catered more to developers/programmers.

Just my two (hundred) cents.

ProfessorY91 wrote:
My sole reason for remaining is the quality hosting that Frihost offers, for free.
That's a pity Professor, as I really enjoy your postings. There are some Frihosters who really take trouble to make high standard postings, yours and Noobcake's for example included, but possibly their interests are too diverse to the extent that you rarely get concentrations of them in one Forum. Perhaps if something could be done to reorganize the Computers, Web & Scripting Forums of the Website, such as Hogwarts for example suggested more than a year ago (there are actually plenty of suggestions in the Suggestions forum for this), this would go a long way to generate a higher standard of postings in those Forums. Since the quality of the free Website space is excellent, Noobcake's suggestion for catering more to the developers/programmers is an excellent one. Hopefully though not at the expense of the other Forums, as I do believe they can co-exist and there is room for both. The greater need however is strengthening of the developers/programmers type forums as noobcake suggested. Perhaps Noobcake can present a more detailed outline of his suggestion in the Suggestion Forum?
ankitdatashn
Well I think most people do write notes on their own, Might be a few that could be doing cut copy paste but I think no system can be foolproof, exceptions are everywhere.

And yeah, It should be cut Ctrl+X, copy Ctrl+C, paste Ctrl+V
robinio_1965
(sorry for the english)

Well the forum could use a hugh clean up.

I had a problem or better saying needed a sollution, so searched the forum.
For hours i've bin reading in the hope to find one post that could help me.

BUT, really 60-70% of the topics are from websites that aren't even there anymore.

I'm not a big writer and always try to post meaning full replays where noting is coming from the internet but only from the fingers. Still because of the post you will get the problem people need to post to get points. Long story's gives you more point but simple post are easy to make and you can do them fast. This therefore makes this forum lose its real power.

With so much experiance must be possible to get relavant info somewhere on the forum and only topics that uses likes that not even excist anymore.

now i do understand why people would like to use this CTRL C / CTRL V stuff to get more points faster so they can wait for the next month to start posting again.
ayour
I completly agree with, and fortunatly frihost is doing their best to keep out low quality posts by deleting them and even sometimes by blocking the user who post frequently posts like these.
some people mis-understand the meaning and the role of forums . Smile
najomi
think that while a lot of people do write less than adequate posts there are also many users who write some helpful and informative posts as well. As for the IT and Coding sub forums I have gotten a lot of help from a number of users regarding HTML and PHP and am glad for that. I think that there are some limits to how a site that offers ad free web hosting can go. A rating system could be added to the forum that users could rate others comments as they do in Youtube Comments areas. This would give more points to good posts and less points to those that would just post something repetitive and generic like "Good Photo" to somebodies picture. This would be a solution but may have to be turned off in certain forums where it may be abused such as a religion or political discussion.
speeDemon
I personally have found no lack of quality in the posts on frihost. The users have great views and opinions and overall I've never had any sort of problems. Frihost is caring, and it has always helped me out. The ads are nowhere to be seen! I hardly notice any ads until someone or the other posts something in relation to there being ads, or removing ads or something similar. And you can always deactivate ads using frih$ if you have any, which you would have if you're a regular poster, so it shouldnt be a big deal.

And by the way, I'm sure that that CTRL+Z isn't wrong in any manner, as it's made on top on an ink eraser I believe, which justifies 'undoing' something. Smile