FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

why my computer is so slow?

lovelyviki
My computer operating system is W xp, processor is intel dual-core, clean system spam every day, antivirusper day, why is it still so slow? it needs almost one mimute to open a webpage.
sonam
Maybe is your connection slow, not computer. Try to check your upload/download speed.

Sonam
Peterssidan
Was the computer faster when it was new? What is system spam? popups? If you find spam and virus on you computer every day it is a sign your computer is seriously infected and you may consider making a reinsall windows . Antivirus programs don't make things faster. They prevent viruses that can slow the computer down but antivirus programs itself can be quite resource intensive so they can actually make things slower. I'm not saying you shouldn't use an antivirus program but you shouldn't expect it to make wonders.

Take a look in the task manager an see so that you have enough RAM. If your programs does not fit in RAM it will use the hard drive and that will be very slow.
mukesh
lovelyviki wrote:
My computer operating system is W xp, processor is intel dual-core, clean system spam every day, antivirusper day, why is it still so slow? it needs almost one mimute to open a webpage.

lovelyviki
First tell that which antivirus currently you using. Some antivitus which use processer and ram more then to other like norton.

also depend on Application software which types of application currently running in your pc.

its also possible your computer this times updating in case system work slow.
its also possible your operating system not well copy or some file missing.
its also possible in your system have virus. etc................ Cool
ms_j
Maybe your RAM memory isn't well anymore Very Happy that is, it might be damaged ( I don't mean physically Laughing ). Maybe you just need to clean up disk space, maybe you need to defragment... It can be a lot of things, together with what the others said. There's no enough info for anybody to help you.
k_s_baskar
may be due to you ISP. What is the connection you are using? check the speed using speedtest.
Smile
ProwerBot
What type of processor is it?
rockpan
try ping www.google.com first , you will know you network status.
FunDa
lovelyviki wrote:

Reinstall Windows. Mybe there is too much junk software or errors in the sytem.

Or even better, use Linux.
passager33
It's possible that your computer may have so many background programs running that there is not enough main memory to run your main programs , or You could have old or conflicting Windows device drivers.
portoskt
probably you need new computer
achowles
How much RAM do you have? That helps keep your computer running at its optimal speed. If your computer is just generally slow and it's not just a web based problem then that could be the issue.

The others are right in that your system may be clogged up and have other problems which are slowing it down. A format and reinstall would fix that. But remember to back up everything important to you.

Some other considerations:
1. The virus scanner you have might be a system hog. Replacing it with an uncomplicated one that does a good job (like Microsoft Security Essentials) would be a good idea.

2. You may have more than one firewall running concurrently. If your antivirus has a firewall built in and you're also using Windows Firewall then that would result in a conflict that could throttle your connection.
saratdear
I think nobody has asked about the browser. Do you have Firefox? It is notorious for the long startup times in a cold start. If that is the case, try something light and zippy like Chrome or opera.
ms_j
hmm I don't think this person cares for an answer any more Confused
PGe-tips
Try cleaning the computer physically ! I don't mean the exterior, no the interior and more particularly the cooling fans of the CPU. You would be surprised how many computer turn into slow hoover alike machines that make more noise then a traditional hoover , just because the cooling fans get clogged with dust. In such case the fans will make overturns and the CPU will heat up (sometimes over 80 C) . Most system put them self to a lower clock-speed to prevent overheating (if the cooling fans can not provide enough cooling) ...
So it really makes sense to clean the inside of you computer every few months !
FunDa
That is very very true.

I recently cleaned my computer cabinet and was surprised to see the amount of dirt and dust bunnies accumulated inside.

In fact there was some problem with the RAM which was probably due to the loose contact because of dust in the RAM slot.

Once the dust bunnies are cleared out, the computer will have a lesser chance of getting RAM and other hardware faults.

It may not increase the speed at all, but it prevents problems in future
anitalian0
Common Causes of a slow PC

So what causes a PC to run slow? There are many causes. Too many to name them all, but there are specific groups of causes that are most common. Chances are you are affected by one or more of these categories right now. A few primary causes of a troubled PC will be addressed below.

1. Overloaded - Too Many Programs Loading
2. Spyware / Adware
3. Viruses - computer must have antivirus, use Abacre.
4. Browser Hijacks
5. Hardware Issues
6. Damaged Operating System

Solution

1. Reboot
2. Not enough hard disk drive space
-Verify that there is at least 200-500MB of free hard disk drive space. This available space allows the computer to have room for the swap file to increase in size as well as room for temporary files.
3. Hard drive corrupted or fragmented
-Run ScanDisk or something equivalent to verify there is nothing physically wrong with the computer hard disk drive.
-Run Defrag to help ensure that data is arranged in the best possible order.
4. Background programs
- Remove or disable any TSRs and startup programs that automatically start each time the computer boots.
5. Scan for malware
6. Update Windows
7. Update your drivers
8. Computer or processor is overheating
9. Memory upgrade
10. Run registry cleaner
11. Erase computer and start over
12. Old computer
-If your computer is older than five years come to terms that it is likely the age of the computer that is causing it to be slow.
13. Hardware issues
-if your computer continues to be slow after going over each of the above recommendations it's possible that your computer is experiencing a more serious hardware related issue such as a failing component in the computer.
Rcocowild
Well I dont know if it's too late for this answer but for people out there,. when you have your computer working slow, you have to check the services, which of this services is consuming more space and then you can analize what's the problem. Sometimes some types of sotfware are not compatible between each other and also make cumputer run slow. Confused
haluden
how much ram are you running ?
mukesh
portoskt wrote:
probably you need new computer

lol this is best solution
codersfriend
probably your processor is heating up.. have you tried using a thermal paste?
ilmkidunya
lovelyviki wrote:

Dear check you internet setting, clear you browser cache, if it does not solve you problem try to reinstall the Operating system.
Gitesh
Best advice:
Just dont install lots of junk on your computer.
and if you have already done so, then go to control panel and uninstall all the softwares you have not been using lately.,
Besides try to use Avira antivirus., its free and not bloated enough to give sluggish performence of PC.
And if this still not work then upgrade your system RAM.
Thackyt
Maybe it is a psychological phenomena. Your brain has adjusted to the speed all of these years, months, or weeks. You are only now experiencing the realization of how slow your computer has been. Computers do slow over time, but not if you take great care of them.
Rcocowild
Hi well I think one of the main cause sometimes that slows computer performance is software comatibility. Sometimes some free antivirus or online backup products are not compatible with each other and this could consume all the capacity, I use zenok and it works fine that meens is not all of them. Aslo were there's SWAP activity taking your hard drive when your memory is not enought.
warnerbob18
It happens when you didn't perform activities like disk De-fragmenting, disk clean up and system scan for virus.You can perform these activities and can check the results:

1. Disk De-fragmentation,
2. Deletion of temp files,
3. Complete system scan.

Hope these steps will work for you and you will enjoy better system speed.
therimalaya
- Try to completely scan your computer with the antivirus using latest update.
- Don't install more than one antivirus or spamware, they just make the computer slower..
- Try to defragment the disk, may be this will make your computer faster
- Try to organize your registry with registry cleaner software
- Try to Free your disk space, may be that is the problem
- Check your internet connection
- Use different browser, chrome is light without any extension.
krzycz123
Maybe you have too much warm on the parts of a computer. Then the components reduce their efficiency, because they don't want to burn.
chatrack
Hi,

Try reinstall the computer with same os. If it speed up the system, not use the same
antivirus pack again.

Or you may have replaced an old hardware with new one, which is not fit for the mother board, that can also slow system.
ThomasAnderson
which browser are you using.......?
Disable the unwanted add-ons of the browser to speed up the browser response time.
Marcuzzo
the OP posted this over a year ago so not sure why this was bumped

But I haven't seen anybody mention a Rogue AV

lovelyviki wrote:
clean system spam every day, antivirusper day, why is it still so slow? it needs almost one mimute to open a webpage.

system cleanup messages, antivirus messages, slowness... all symptomes of an infected PC
FunDa
Marcuzzo wrote:
the OP posted this over a year ago so not sure why this was bumped

But I haven't seen anybody mention a Rogue AV

lovelyviki wrote:
clean system spam every day, antivirusper day, why is it still so slow? it needs almost one mimute to open a webpage.

system cleanup messages, antivirus messages, slowness... all symptomes of an infected PC

I have seen atleast 2 of my friends whose computers were infected by rougue antivirus.

They had installed something which had come as a ad on some website.

After they installed, it did a free visrus scan and detected many virusus.

Anf then it said that to clean the virusus, we ned to buy the full version, which costs omly $5.00

But I was able to identify it and was able to remove it forcefully. (It could not be uninstalled in the usual way)

And then I installed a free antivirus for her (It was Avast free version I think)
kmr_mukund
it may be that your system have installed more than one antivirus.i am not sure that you has this problem but due to this cause pc can slow much more.if your computer has not this problem then uninstall all the unused program from installed program folder.you will fill sure
that your pc is going fast in comparision to previous.
andro_king
I use CCleaner 3.0. It doesn't speed up my system after the clean but it sure makes it run smooth. No more errors since I first used it (it had been 2 years now or a little less).

I think PC users should give it a try...