FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Check you Gmail now!!

badai
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/27/gmail-accidentally-resetting-accounts-years-of-correspondence-v/

Quote:
Gmail accidentally resetting accounts, years of correspondence vanish into the cloud?

If you've got a working Gmail account, you might want to back it up every so often -- as many as 500,000 Gmail users lost access to their inboxes this morn, and some of them are reporting (via Twitter and support forums) that years worth of messages, attachments and Google Chat logs had vanished by the time they were finally able to log on. While we haven't experienced the issue personally, we're hearing that the bug effectively reset some accounts, treating their owners as new users complete with welcome messages. For its part, Google says that the issue "affects less than .29% of the Google Mail userbase," engineers are working to fix the issue right now, and that missing messages will be restored as soon as possible. We'll soon see if this is a momentary setback... or a lengthy wakeup call.

Update: No fix yet, but Google's revised its estimate as to how many users might have been affected by the issue -- "less than 0.08%" -- which means we're probably looking at closer to 150,000 individuals, rather than 500,000. We're assuming that the revised estimate means that the initial count wasn't precise, and not that customers are ditching Gmail in droves.

Update 2: Google's provided promising but terribly vague guidance on when the situation will be resolved: "Google Mail service has already been restored for some users, and we expect a resolution for all users in the near future. Please note this time frame is an estimate and may change."
goutha
Well, I'm not part of users that lost their accounts content.

Happy for that.
fladry
goutha wrote:

Happy for that.

same here Very Happy
deanhills
I don't trust it. When I checked up on my gmail, it came up with a Window to confirm details with a little scare memo about how bad it could be for me to lose all my info. Then when I clicked through that, AND ignored the mobile number request, it took AGES to reload.
standready
goutha wrote:

Happy for that.

Here too!
gangi
Sounds suspicious...
iman
Good article. But I don't see why they would do that, since Google has lots of storage and computing power.
sketteksalfa
Sad for those affected. Mine is perfectly fine
driftingfe3s
I read about this as well. I guess this teaches people that they should really make backups of their emails if they have anything important in there.
CheDragon
I guess I was lucky.... all my emails are there xP
emanuel2
wow thats really bad publicity for such a big internet company, but I guess such things can happen to any organisation relying too much on faulty things like people or hardware xD
chatrack
Me neither feel any issues of gmail account
spinout
If you are logged in gmail and log in to youtube, youtube asks to change your email to the gmail account if you not have that one stored... silyynesss...

Today gmail wanted me to sureify my other open email account AND add my cellphone number... sounds suspisious... No did not add my cellnumber...

Is youtube bought by google??
sudipbanerjee
Neither I nor any of my friend personally go thorough this experience. Is it really happen?
airh3ad
I never experience big problem on gmail but i experiences hard to load the inbox.sometimes seems to be taking longer than usual' and may be redirected to our basic HTML version.
deanhills
airh3ad wrote:
I never experience big problem on gmail but i experiences hard to load the inbox.sometimes seems to be taking longer than usual' and may be redirected to our basic HTML version.
Do you think this may have more to do with your Internet speed, than with gmail? The higher the speed, the quicker gmail would download?
Asap170
I still have all of my emails. It seems whenever Google has problems it usually a massive problem never something little.
snowynight
that is true. well, I have other emails, I used to back up all to my each accounts
the-guide
Really? How did it happen?
Fortunately, those not included my account.

achowles
I was unaffected by this. But it is pretty surprising that Google could be hit by something like this. You'd have thought they'd have these accounts across multiple servers for redundancy. If one goes down then it's no problem.

So that does make you wonder about the scale of the problem they were faced with.

In any case - yes, hopefully it will remind people to back important stuff up more regularly. You should never rely on one copy of anything important.
Nameless
If you have to explicitly be told to check your gmail for a bug, then you're probably not using it enough to worry if you were affected?
toasterintheoven
did you know google is elgoog backwards? also, former nba basketball player tom gugliotta always comes to mind when google is mentioned
pyrecon
I am not affected and I haven't heard of anyone had.

I can't believe it would happen because GMail has been stable all the time (although it was much of the time in its "beta" state Wink )
achowles
It's only an extreme minority that have been affected by this. Also it seems that Google were able to recover some data fairly quickly. So chances are that even those affected might not know about it.
ProwerBot
Gmail has always been the best email service for me, never had a single problem.
Ghost900
I have a G-Mail but I don't really use it much. I didn't loose anything though I wouldn't have been that bummed if I had.

I would think that they should be able to restore the emails if they keep a decent backup as almost anything deleted can be restored as long as it isn't overwritten multiple times before they find out.
foumy6
This is another reason why i'm glad that i don't use gmail I use hotmail or Mcleodusa and just using these I have never had any prblems
spring567
My gmail account is ok.
goutha
I discovered on lifehacker this app that backup gmail accounts or anyemail account. I started using it last week, and it works like a charm : MailStore.

Look for it on google or lifehacker. Good luck Smile
nepalstar
fladry wrote:
goutha wrote:

Happy for that.

same here Very Happy

I think I'm also luck in this regard... Very Happy
ProfessorY91
Never had issues with Gmail, do not expect to in the future, probably never will. That's all that really needs saying. Speculate all you want.
ankitdatashn
deanhills wrote:
I don't trust it. When I checked up on my gmail, it came up with a Window to confirm details with a little scare memo about how bad it could be for me to lose all my info. Then when I clicked through that, AND ignored the mobile number request, it took AGES to reload.

Yeah, the same happened with me too, Gmail is pretty complex thingy! Yahoo is best in its ease of use Smile