FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My mobile

loyal
Hey guys,

I have Nokia 6303 classic which accidentally dropped out of my pocket into a container of water two days ago. I stupidly switched it on while it still had water on, and it initially turned on but now won't. I'm guessing it short-circuited.

I had tried a day or so before this to back up the stuff on the mobile, but the Nokia software refused to work. I am fairly desperate to get the information on the phone. Isn't there any way I could do this? Is the internal memory of the mobile stored on particular part of the circuit board? Is it possible do you think one could take it off and solder it on to another circuit board of the same mobile model?

Thanks...
Ankhanu
Unlikely. It is stored in a specific spot, but these things are all made with printed circuit boards, they're not made to be taken apart. If you tried what you're proposing you'd likely end up with two ruined phones.
deanhills
loyal wrote:
Hey guys,

I have Nokia 6303 classic which accidentally dropped out of my pocket into a container of water two days ago. I stupidly switched it on while it still had water on, and it initially turned on but now won't. I'm guessing it short-circuited.

I had tried a day or so before this to back up the stuff on the mobile, but the Nokia software refused to work. I am fairly desperate to get the information on the phone. Isn't there any way I could do this? Is the internal memory of the mobile stored on particular part of the circuit board? Is it possible do you think one could take it off and solder it on to another circuit board of the same mobile model?

Thanks...
Just had a look on the Web and found this article on a Water Damaged Cellphone in a Blog. There is a step by step suggestion of how to get the phone to dry inside that looks fairly harmless and is maybe worth a try.

I suggest you also read all of the comments at the bottom of the article. I particularly found this one interesting of how to "spark" the phone to start it up after you have dried it out as per the step by step suggestion of the article:
Quote:
Anonymous said...

i have a suggestion that actually worked for me...do everything this person said because it does work..but after that...turn a television on...separate the battery from the phone and sit the phone on the TV...for awhile
after awhile turn it on...and find out if it works..
worked for me and all my friends that tried it..something in the TV really sparks the phone and it works!

Here is a link to a disassembly Webpage for your Nokia Classic that can help you disassemble as much as you can as suggested in the above Blog, with the objective of drying the phone out.
http://www.formymobile.co.uk/6303disassembly.php

If the above fails, why not go to the Nokia suppliers in your area, I'm almost certain yours is not a unique dilemma. It must happen to others as well. I'd get guys who know how it works to take the Nokia apart for you. The more you fiddle with it, without knowing what the consequences will be, the more difficult it may be to retrieve the information from the phone. Good luck with getting it fixed!
Smile

Note: By the way while I was reading the comments in the Blog, it was quite amazing to see how many cases there were of Cell phones falling into toilets! Laughing
ProwerBot
Circuit boards like on a mobile phone just are not meant to be switched phone to phone. Unless you had your stuff saved on a memory card or a sim card there is probably no way you can get this information off the mobile device. You could try powering the phone on in a long amount of time because I had a water damaged ipod which stopped working, then I tried it a year later and it worked like new. Very possible I was just lucky though. I don't think you'll be able to get your information off the phone.
deanhills
ProwerBot wrote:
I had a water damaged ipod which stopped working, then I tried it a year later and it worked like new. Very possible I was just lucky though. I don't think you'll be able to get your information off the phone.
Now that I call being very patient! But probably a good lesson as well. The less we fiddle with water immersed circuits anything, and the more time we allow to dry itself, the greater the chance it can fully recover. Very Happy
pll
ProwerBot wrote:
I had a water damaged ipod which stopped working, then I tried it a year later and it worked like new. Very possible I was just lucky though. I don't think you'll be able to get your information off the phone.

My brother had the same experience, we tried it a year later too and it never worked so I guess you were really lucky! (I'd buy a loto ticket!!)
deanhills
pll wrote:
I guess you were really lucky! (I'd buy a loto ticket!!)
Laughing Laughing Right, maybe he should use the numbers of the mobile phone as well when he buys a loto ticket? Very Happy
loyal
Wel I've taken apart my mobile phone as much as possible. I just don't have a clue where the phone would store its memory...
foumy6
[color=green] Wow that sucks I don't think that there is a way that you could get your stuff back unless you had it on a SD card. I have almost the same problem I have an LG rumor2, and let me say IT IS NOT DURABLE AT ALL the very first time that I dropped it the screen got all screwed up and the keyboard cover even popped off! The funny thing is the second time I dropped it, it fixed almost everything that was wrong with it. The only problem is a few of the buttons don't always like to work like my down button and my "s" key on my keyboard. Also the screen gets scratches VERY easily just putting it in your pocket for and hour or two, you have a very high chance that when you take it out it will have all these annoying little scratches on it, so if your thinking on getting a rumor2, and your not someone who will never drop their phone or put it in one spot for and hour or two take my word for it! DON'T GET IT!
nepalstar
Dear Friends,

I have Nokia 6630 and I want to install msn messenger where can I download that...? Once I installed searching from google but when I run that messenger that says "Memory Full" what's the reason for memory full and how to increase the memory, I've 1GB memory card and there is enough free space available.

Thanks in advance..
ankitdatashn
That spark and TV thing is quite ridiculous, I reckon you take it to a service station, that's the most prudent thing you can do, instead of possibly harming other electronic devices Smile
metalfreek
Its bad that you dropped your phone on water but its worse that you switched it on so quickly. I think it will be very hard to recover your data after this. Been through this situation myself and I was unable to recover anything.
deanhills
loyal wrote:
Wel I've taken apart my mobile phone as much as possible. I just don't have a clue where the phone would store its memory...
Am dead curious to know what the outcome was. Were you able to recover any info, or did you have to write off the phone? Smile
loyal
deanhills wrote:
loyal wrote:
Am dead curious to know what the outcome was. Were you able to recover any info, or did you have to write off the phone? Smile

Well I'm quite busy with revision for exams so I barely have time for other things. So I haven't done too much with the mobile. I disassembled it as much as possible. Then I looked at the circuit board and realised I had no idea which part held the phone memory. And even if I knew, it looks extremely difficult to take off that part and then put it on another circuit board of the same model mobile, because it's tiny. I was wondering if there is some sort of company that could do it for me...
deanhills
loyal wrote:
I was wondering if there is some sort of company that could do it for me...
Have you thought of putting it all together again and see whether it is working again? As maybe everything has had a chance to dry out?
ankitdatashn
I am afraid you are into a big problem,
Because these electronic devices can be relied seldom,
Hope you problem is solved soon,
And till then please don't succumb... ( to the problem )
deanhills
I have a feeling the phone must be in a trash can by now. If it has not been rescued yet. But would be curious to know what has happened. Maybe loyal can bring us up to date? Very Happy
goutha
I'm not sure that you are at the right place to ask this question. Try some nokia or mobile phones forums. You'll get a revelant answer very fast!
Antonlillian
Mobile is very useful and wonderful invention in all over the world. I have Nokia E5. Its have lots of advance features. Due to mobile we can easily connect with our friends and family any where and any time. In mobile we can listen music, watching videos and so on.
deanhills
Ahhhh .... this thread brings back memories. Wonder whether Loyal was able to have her mobile fixed in the end? Question
standready
My dad put his cell phone down into one of the cup holders in the car like he always does. However one time he did not notice the cup of water sitting there and fully drown the phone - laugh. He took the phone out of the water and dried it off then left it alone for three days. Worked just fine after that.
spinout
ny mobile... believe it or not Exclamation nokia , no camera , no mms, no internet, flashlight!!! color screen 1"... cost 20 USD or less today...
deanhills
spinout wrote:
ny mobile... believe it or not Exclamation nokia , no camera , no mms, no internet, flashlight!!! color screen 1"... cost 20 USD or less today...
Mine is a Nokia 1100 - no colour screen? Twisted Evil