FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Talking Birds ?

dude_xyx
Have you ever seen talking birds ? or Have you ever had a talking pet bird like a parrot ? When I was like 12 years old I remember there was a cockatoo bird in a petrol shed which would talk. That bird was soo greedy for baked pea nuts. lol

Also When i was like 5 years old there was Myna bird at our home which could talk. I don't remember but my parents say it could tell so many words and sentences.
LittleBlackKitten
If you go on youtube and type in the swearing parrot, you can find a gray parrot with an English accent swearing rather profanely...It's pretty funny.
silver67
I just watched that youtube video and it is freakin hilarious! I then watched a multitude of parrot videos and wasted a good 20 minutes or so..
driftingfe3s
My girlfriend has a Green Cheeked Conure that she is trying to train to speak. They have had the bird for over a year now but it still doesn't speak. We've read that even though a certain species of bird is able to mimic human language, each individual bird's personality is different. Sometimes the bird is just not willing to learn to mimic human language.

Still, does anyone who has had a parrot have any tips in training one to speak?
Ankhanu
Training basically comes down to lots and lots of repetition. Green-cheeks can learn, but they're not particularly good at talking. It will take a while.

I've seen a few talking parrots in pet stores, but haven't owned one. Honestly, if I had a parrot, training it to talk wouldn't be a priority Razz

There is a crow in my neighbourhood that say "Hello", though Smile It's kinda funny being outside and hearing a bird calling Hello instead of caw Razz
watersoul
A friend of mine has a talking parrot but I don't know the particular type.
He knows loads of words and learns really quickly. My friends 16 year old son even got in trouble recently as the bird had been in his room while he had friends round on an x-box weekend. The bird picked up lots of swear words (including FFS) from while they were playing and presumably losing or making mistakes in their game.
Another game the bird plays is teasing their dog by calling his name out so he comes running for no reason!
Ankhanu
watersoul wrote:

Another game the bird plays is teasing their dog by calling his name out so he comes running for no reason!

LoL Very Happy
JoeMusician
My brother-in-laws parents have a parrot that sits at the table and eats dinner whith them every night! Has its own little perch at the table! He even say "pass the seeds please!" Don't worry, they don't feed it human food! It has the top of the line bird food I'm sure, they are pretty wealthy and the bird lives better than half of us do!

My uncle aslo had a cockiteil around ten years ago. It just screamed its name all the time. Clipper! Clipper! Rather annoying. He would even take him outside and let him fly around in the trees. His wings were clipped, so he couldn't fly far. He would have problems though from time to time trying to retreive him. He did feed it pot seeds and it loved them! He had no cage, just sat on a perch in the corner. After a few seeds, he would be all over the place, tripping out! He would climb all over you. I told my uncle that it probably wasn't a good idea to feed him those seeds. He insisted they didn't hurt him.
wellerchap
My neighbour has an African Grey Parrot....it talks for England! (no.....NOT literally!)
In summer I can be in my garden; she'll have herwindows open, and I can hear it all the time, jibbering away to itself......it calls her owner using the name her husband calls her, it does the telephone noise perfectly, and it also sinds Barnsley Football club songs, as the husband's a big Barnsley fan!
It's absolutely hilarious, for an hour or two.....but I must admit, if I had to live in there with it it would be in the oven after a week!
Laughing
watersoul
wellerchap wrote:

It's absolutely hilarious, for an hour or two.....but I must admit, if I had to live in there with it it would be in the oven after a week!
Laughing

Lol! Laughing
dude_xyx
I think African Grey Parrot are the most intelligent bird. Check this guy in this Youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rfGEtALHYs
emanuel2
silver67 wrote:
I just watched that youtube video and it is freakin hilarious! I then watched a multitude of parrot videos and wasted a good 20 minutes or so..

Yeah there are really a lot of crazy you tubes out there proving how good these birds are speaking. Especially birds singing (pop) songs, thats crazy Very Happy
yagnyavalkya
Hill mynas are also known to talk
dude_xyx
Mynas talk if they live among humans since they were very young.
ham65
Some birds have style,they fly really nice kkkkk.

BYE
Ankhanu
ham65 wrote:
Some birds have style,they fly really nice kkkkk.

BYE

What's flying really nice got to do with talking? Am I missing something?
dude_xyx
Cockatoo's can talk too. Unlike parrots these large birds don't speak for fun. You need to give them treats to motivate them to talk. xD
Radar
If I stop and think about it, I doubt I've seen one in real life.
fristeo
Never tried talking animals really feel the magic.
dude_xyx
Check the youtube link. You ll see how cool these parrots are. xD
yagnyavalkya
Here is an interesting article I found on talking birds
the link is http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1959.tb05530.x/abstract
I cant get the full text it has been written quite long ago
There is another one which says the 'Stimulus control over speech was demonstrated in the mynah bird. reinforcement was done with with food for talking during stimulus presentation. they learned to say a word when and only when a light came on. 1 bird learned to say the correct 1 of 2 words when the 2 stimuli were presented in random order. http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/com/56/6/1061/
syj824
at this time there is a pop game named angry birds。
Ankhanu
syj824 wrote:
at this time there is a pop game named angry birds。

Yet even in the game, those birds don't actually talk, do they?
dude_xyx
I watched anther Youtube video where a parrot sings that bad boys movie song. "Bad bird Bad Bird whacha gonna do". It was hilarious !
mshafiq
I did see a parrot that could speak some word and greets a person entering in the house.
My nephews were crazy about training a parrot and they fed him good and special food for example (pita + butter + sugar).
However after a lot of effort it could speak just a couple of words.
By the way, my son hat - at least that - parrot as he bit it on his hand when he was about 4 years old - Now he is about 5.

Back-Home sometimes people sell these kind of parrot at a high price.
However I personally do not favor keeping birds in house/small bounded space.
dude_xyx
I don't like to keep birds in cages too. Parrots and Myna birds don't go if they are kept since they were very small. The Myna bird which lived at our home when I was young stayed out of cage most of the time. He was put into cage at night to keep him safe from other animals like cats. He would go inside the cage when he feels sleepy and all we need to lock the cage and open it in morning.
DexMark
Mu cusin has a bird, that talks like 100 words. It s so special and everytime when he starts to talk, makes a nice sound. its special i like it.
dude_xyx
DexMark wrote:
Mu cusin has a bird, that talks like 100 words. It s so special and everytime when he starts to talk, makes a nice sound. its special i like it.

What kind of bird is it ? A parrot ?
mukesh
lol but i cant
Tesa323
I have a couple parrots that talk.
shivaghimire
Of course, the birds can talk. Parrot, Maina, are some examples who can follow human words. They reply the same words what a man tells. Another thing, all birds has their own languages. Crow share their words in their circle in their own language. They have different sounds in danger, happiness, or in different situations. So some birds follow human words and they have different sounds in their group to share situations.
IceCreamTruck
What's with all the random comments -- this thread is about "talking birds" just so you guy know.

I worked in a liqueur store for a bit with an excellent parakeet that was so much fun. He'd walk around the desk, and on the merchandise and talk to customers. People started coming just to see the bird, and it was great for business. Kept the annoying customers from saying stupid things to me, because they had a bird that was willing to listen to them be stupid all day.

The owner got a cacatua bird thinking a more intelligent bird would say more things to the customers, and he was lonely at home, she said. That bird had a pair of these for a face...

and anyone who got too close was going to come away damaged... even the owner was very weary of getting hands near the bird because it was almost a game to the bird to try and bite off your fingers. People lost rings and bleed because of this bird, and the owner just thought the world of the thing. I couldn't believe the owner wouldn't put hands near the bird, for fear, and yet would feed it pieces of food from her mouth to his... like getting your face near it is better than loosing a finger... I don't know how you end up at that place.

Lucky for me if the bird was there then she was there too doing books and such. He'd come over to the register and torture me I guess because the bird thought it was funny. The only reason I didn't turn the tables on that bird and mess him up was because she was always there. Hey, I'm not mean, but I do know that I've ended up great friends with EVERYONE I have fought with, and I just wanted to show the bird I have a personal space too that he's not allowed to enter, but it never came to that as the bird got sick and started pulling out all his feathers... his life was torture enough I suppose.

Well, someone brought a dog one day and the parakeet, who was used to riding the dogs around at home met with more than he was expecting. The dog quickly ended the bird as it swooped in for a landing on it's back. Guess the dog didn't know it was cool, so that ended the really really awesome time I had with a bird, and left me with only a horrible looking cacatua that only had feathers on it's head and was mean as sin and he could only say his name too, which I can't remember at the moment because it's been 10 years or so. I swore off of wrench face birds forever at that point -- I hated him.

Both birds are gone now, and the owner sold the store to some new guys that are really nice, but it effectively ended any reason I have for going there as I really am not a drinker, and that store is less than convenient for me to get to now even though it's pretty strategically located in town... my priorities around this berg are not near there.

I wouldn't mind a parrot or something just as long as it is allowed to learn that I get angry when I get bitten, and I don't like being threatened either, so aggressive posturing would be dealt with swiftly as well. I'm not daft, so I know how to reward good behavior, and I'm sure I'd have a pretty good time with a smaller talking bird, but nothing big that has a personality to recon with. Typically they act like two year old humans do, so a bird big enough not to matter is key.

Also, no locking the cage. Locked cages are for lazy people to keep animals -- nuff said. If you have to cage your animal for bad or unpredictable behavior, then I suggest spending more time with the animal. If your animal runs away without the cage, then take the hint that you are the problem. How would you like to spend all of your life on the inside looking out -- you wouldn't -- so don't do it to them. I put birds in cages in the same category as chaining up back yard dogs -- pointless and sadistic. If caging a flying animal seems like a good idea to you, then I call you sadistic and guilty of cruelty to animals. The bird that learns to feel safe in the cage at night, and goes there to sleep is a happy bird in my opinion.
dude_xyx
Sometimes There are no choice but keep them inside a cage. Some birds can't survive out side.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Both birds are gone now, and the owner sold the store to some new guys that are really nice, but it effectively ended any reason I have for going there as I really am not a drinker, and that store is less than convenient for me to get to now even though it's pretty strategically located in town... my priorities around this berg are not near there.

I wouldn't mind a parrot or something just as long as it is allowed to learn that I get angry when I get bitten, and I don't like being threatened either, so aggressive posturing would be dealt with swiftly as well. I'm not daft, so I know how to reward good behavior, and I'm sure I'd have a pretty good time with a smaller talking bird, but nothing big that has a personality to recon with. Typically they act like two year old humans do, so a bird big enough not to matter is key.

Also, no locking the cage. Locked cages are for lazy people to keep animals -- nuff said. If you have to cage your animal for bad or unpredictable behavior, then I suggest spending more time with the animal. If your animal runs away without the cage, then take the hint that you are the problem. How would you like to spend all of your life on the inside looking out -- you wouldn't -- so don't do it to them. I put birds in cages in the same category as chaining up back yard dogs -- pointless and sadistic. If caging a flying animal seems like a good idea to you, then I call you sadistic and guilty of cruelty to animals. The bird that learns to feel safe in the cage at night, and goes there to sleep is a happy bird in my opinion.
I missed this gem of a post. Quite awesome. Sorry Bird No. 1 had to meet its nemesis in such a horrible way. We had a few budgies when I was a kid (one budgie at a time) and they really have their own personalities, they were all completely different in personalities from one another. They were in a cage however, so I guess that would not have gotten the ICT seal of approval. We thought it was for their protection however. Seemed as though they enjoyed all their toys. Twisted Evil
mertsumer
should be trained to draw out the birds at an early age (1-3 months) and gender importent.more male birds than females talk so much
dude_xyx
mertsumer wrote:
more male birds than females talk so much

Quite different from humans. lolll

Birds like budgies can't survive out side of their natural habitats. Also in different climates.