FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I propose a new support group

xevo
We would call it - Support group for hacking victims...

So yet ANOTHER of my blogs was hacked today - I have a few wordpress websites and they are like magnet for lame douchebags that have nothing better to do then piss people off. Week or so ago it was my Pivotx blog. Before that few other sites.

I starting to contemplate switching form dynamic cms to html. At least I won't have to worry about any stupid a*holes with too much time on their hands.
wellerchap
I never understand why idiots want to be so malicious on the internet....what exactly can these morons do to harm a site, from outside?
deanhills
xevo wrote:
So yet ANOTHER of my blogs was hacked today - I have a few wordpress websites and they are like magnet for lame douchebags that have nothing better to do then piss people off. Week or so ago it was my Pivotx blog. Before that few other sites.
Looks as though you are badly in need of some support. I'm sure someone in Frihost must be able to help you. By the way, what kind of blogs are you running, i.e. from a content point of view?
Bikerman
xevo wrote:

I starting to contemplate switching form dynamic cms to html. At least I won't have to worry about any stupid a*holes with too much time on their hands.

Upgrade to the latest Wordpress version for a start. How is the site being hacked? What are they doing to it?
ProfessorY91
Bikerman wrote:

Upgrade to the latest Wordpress version for a start. How is the site being hacked? What are they doing to it?

That, and use several classes of characters to create your password, use your own server. The only way to stop hackers is to learn more than them.
loyal
xevo wrote:

Just how popular are your blogs that people are taking the time to hack them? Are you sure you've got the latest versions of wordpress?

I don't understand why people hack random sites...

Peace.
ocalhoun
loyal wrote:

Just how popular are your blogs that people are taking the time to hack them?

My website was hacked, and I only have 100 or so members...

Popular sites are usually better defended, perhaps hackers target the 'softer' targets?
As for why they do it in the first place: the same reason vandals throw rocks at windows. It makes them feel powerful, I guess.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
loyal wrote:

I'm curious. How does one deal with it when one's website is hacked? What happened with the hacking? And what did you have to do to undo the hacking? Smile
loyal
This all reminds me of hackthissite.org Anyone else remember it?
peace.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
loyal wrote:

I'm curious. How does one deal with it when one's website is hacked? What happened with the hacking? And what did you have to do to undo the hacking? Smile

I just restored it from the backup.

The hacker replaced my index page with a blank page with only a link to a hacking forum.
After repairing my site, I went to a school's computer lab, and started spamming that hacking forum... tenaciously.
With each computer, I would create an account, open a bunch of random old threads, and then post spam into those old threads as fast as the flood limit allowed. That account would soon be IP banned, which meant it was time to move to the next computer over and start again.
The spam was all deleted, but that forum's admin had a lot of work to do, and it messed up their thread order quite a bit... Every once and a while, I would mix it up, and send PM's instead.
(Kept this up for 1 day a week, several weeks. The forum admins started sending the most entertaining messages along with their ban notices. ^.^)
A satisfying bit of revenge, I suppose... And of course, I never mentioned who I was, so there wasn't any risk of starting an escalating spiral of revenge.
truespeed
^^ Crazy horse. Smile
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
^^ Crazy horse. Smile

*runs and buck all over the pasture*
*snort*

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Horse ^.^
Never hurts to learn something new.
SonLight
ocalhoun wrote:

Popular sites are usually better defended, perhaps hackers target the 'softer' targets?
As for why they do it in the first place: the same reason vandals throw rocks at windows. It makes them feel powerful, I guess.

The "softer targets" argument is certainly valid. Some may just want to be a nuisance, but others are probably practicing with easy targets in the hope that they can learn to do more profitable damage later. Even though your site may not be high profile, hacking it has some advantage to them in getting a better google rating. If that is important to the hacker, they might change the password and even the password recovery mechanisms if they can, hoping that you cannot get back to the site to restore it quickly.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
After repairing my site, I went to a school's computer lab, and started spamming that hacking forum... tenaciously.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Awesome! Hell has no fury like Ocalhoun scorned.

Wonder whether one can make a logo that says Hacker Beware and a short summary under this heading of what they can expect as a reward for hacking your site? Twisted Evil

I sometimes wonder why they choose the sites they do for hacking? Is it random, or is it someone who had an interest in your topic?
loyal
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
loyal wrote:

I just restored it from the backup.

The hacker replaced my index page with a blank page with only a link to a hacking forum.
With each computer, I would create an account, open a bunch of random old threads, and then post spam into those old threads as fast as the flood limit allowed. That account would soon be IP banned, which meant it was time to move to the next computer over and start again.
The spam was all deleted, but that forum's admin had a lot of work to do, and it messed up their thread order quite a bit... Every once and a while, I would mix it up, and send PM's instead.
(Kept this up for 1 day a week, several weeks. The forum admins started sending the most entertaining messages along with their ban notices. ^.^)
A satisfying bit of revenge, I suppose... And of course, I never mentioned who I was, so there wasn't any risk of starting an escalating spiral of revenge.

Hahaha that's hilarious! Brilliant!
missdixy
Wow, people actually take the time to hack blogs? Agh. This sounds infuriating and annoying and pointless.... Confused
foumy6
Honestley not ot be mean to all the apple fans out there, but apple was the first to hack and create virus to get back at widows, so Im sorry to say it apple's fault that you get hacked Sad
deanhills
foumy6 wrote:
Honestley not ot be mean to all the apple fans out there, but apple was the first to hack and create virus to get back at widows, so Im sorry to say it apple's fault that you get hacked Sad
Well maybe they were so good at hacking Windows, that no one who owns an Apple Computer needs to have anti-virus software to this day. Guess Steve (Jobs) must have been better at hacking than Bill was? Twisted Evil
loyal
deanhills wrote:
foumy6 wrote:
Well maybe they were so good at hacking Windows, that no one who owns an Apple Computer needs to have anti-virus software to this day. Guess Steve (Jobs) must have been better at hacking than Bill was? Twisted Evil

If there was more focus on hacking Apple, maybe they would need anti-virus software.
deanhills
loyal wrote:
deanhills wrote:
foumy6 wrote:

If there was more focus on hacking Apple, maybe they would need anti-virus software.
Right! So why did no one do that? Is it then difficult to hack Apple computers? Question
SonLight
deanhills wrote:

Right! So why did no one do that? Is it then difficult to hack Apple computers? Question[/quote]

There is a long-running argument about that. Many people believe that systems based on Unix or Linux are more secure, and that Windows has more weaknesses partly because of their need to be backward compatible and partly because Microsoft is not security conscious enough. On the other hand, since Windows has most of the market, it is a more attractive target for hackers.

Although most home computers run Windows, Unix or Unix-like systems run on the majority of internet servers. They certainly are targeted, and often successfully. Probably the security of most servers depends more on the skill of the administrators than which OS it runs.
ankitdatashn
Losers have no time except to do their own lame stuff and show their lame skills of hacking!, They can't possibly do positive things!