FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there any country WITHOUT a postal service?

quex
Odd one, sorry. I can't figure the answer on Wikipedia, Google, etc. Surely there is some nation-state that is too small or has too few inhabitants to maintain a working postal system. If you know of any such place, please tell me what it is. ;_;
deanhills
How about the Arctic and Antarctic? They are not countries, but there are no mail delivery addresses there?
quex
deanhills wrote:
How about the Arctic and Antarctic? They are not countries, but there are no mail delivery addresses there?

That's perfectly sound reasoning, but unfortunately, no dice. Mail to the Antarctic is handled by Australia, and while it's not regularly delivered to everyone's mailbox every day, it is pretty much a settled system. I've got a postcard and postage from Antarctica, actually... it's kinda popular among fans of the post (read: idiots who like stamps WAY too much). :)

I didn't know if there was any post to the Arctic before you mentioned it, but a quick check on Google seems to suggest the same sort of system is in place, albeit slightly less regular (seems to be far fewer manned stations in the Arctic to receive mail) and with Canada handling delivery rather than Australia.

Now I need to get a postcard form the Arctic. XD
jwellsy
Who own the South Georgian Islands? They are probably considered uninhabited.
quex
jwellsy wrote:
Who own the South Georgian Islands? They are probably considered uninhabited.

South Georgia and South Sandwhich Islands are a British territory. Amazingly, there is not only a deputy postmaster present on South Georgia, but stamps issued from South Georgia and bearing a South Georgia cancel are highly desirable. I did not know this. o_o'
iman
Maybe you should try the micronations like Sealand, etc.
If ever you consider them as nations Razz
michaelagustin
For sure, those island that has not yet discovered by the NASA...
gandalfthegrey
I'm curious if there are any countries with private postal services?
ocalhoun
gandalfthegrey wrote:
I'm curious if there are any countries with private postal services?

Only private services, or public services augmented by private services?
Not sure about the former, but there's plenty of the latter.
SonLight
quex wrote:
Odd one, sorry. I can't figure the answer on Wikipedia, Google, etc. Surely there is some nation-state that is too small or has too few inhabitants to maintain a working postal system. If you know of any such place, please tell me what it is. ;_;

I tried the "CIA World Factbook" which is usually pretty thorough and inclusive. They do seem to discuss the postal system of most countries, but not in a consistent way so that you can make a list of those either without a postal system or without a mention of one.

The wikipedia article, "List of national postal services" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_postal_services ) has several African countries listed with no information. Those might be worth looking at, but it probably just means no one has figured out what they call it.

I would think that you can probably send a letter to almost anyone anywhere in the world. I did notice that Somalia is not in the list of African nations at all, though, so it might be a candidate. I would suspect there are a few warlord-run postal services there, though, in addition to one run by the organization the western world likes to call the "government".

Perhaps your query is an impossible one. You can doubtless find places without being able to find proof that any postal service exists, but how could you prove non-existence?

Edit:
I tried looking at the US Postal service list of countries. They classify countries into nine groups for setting prices. I looked for Somalia, and it is there -- it seems to be the only one where they say "n/a" instead of a number. If I understand that right, they are saying they _do not deliver_ to Somalia. Good luck getting a stamp from there.
menino
Even if there was no postal service in a place... I think there would always be E-mail, no? Smile
deanhills
Quex: have you ever found an answer on this topic .... yet? I.e. is there a country without a postal service in the world? Smile
silverdown
Well im sure ever country has a postal service i mean someone im sure manually walks stuff to point A to point B and Maybe back to A or C... but it gotta be rough.
johans
Quote:
Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:34 pm Post subject: Is there any country WITHOUT a postal service?

NO, every Country has Postal Service since we got all POSTAL CODE.
inuyasha
quex wrote:
deanhills wrote:

That's perfectly sound reasoning, but unfortunately, no dice. Mail to the Antarctic is handled by Australia, and while it's not regularly delivered to everyone's mailbox every day, it is pretty much a settled system. I've got a postcard and postage from Antarctica, actually... it's kinda popular among fans of the post (read: idiots who like stamps WAY too much). Smile

I didn't know if there was any post to the Arctic before you mentioned it, but a quick check on Google seems to suggest the same sort of system is in place, albeit slightly less regular (seems to be far fewer manned stations in the Arctic to receive mail) and with Canada handling delivery rather than Australia.

Now I need to get a postcard form the Arctic. XD

That's interesting! I wonder why Australia handles mails to Antarctic. Volunteering?
Tuvitor
As far as the Arctic goes, I would assume that whoever's got the jurisdiction over the land there would control the postal service. There's no continent in the Arctic beyond the highest northern reaches of North America, Asia, Europe, etc. So I would guess it would be whoever had the jurisdiction over the Arctic land in question--Canada, USA (Alaska), Russia, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Finland etc.
psychorollercoaster
curious!

but wikipedia lists the following countries:
* Antigua und Barbuda
* Benin
* Burkina Faso
* Ghana
* Colombia
* Mali
* Namibia
* Peru (only in the region Lima)
* Togo
* Uganda
* Vietnam

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postleitzahl

though its hard to believe
andro_king
wow...amazing places..!! without postal serives..?? must be in caveman age..??
ocalhoun
andro_king wrote:
wow...amazing places..!! without postal serives..?? must be in caveman age..??

Yep... the first country ever to use a postal code system was in 1939 (The US didn't start until 1963)... definitely caveman days.
Josso
quex wrote:
deanhills wrote:

That's perfectly sound reasoning, but unfortunately, no dice. Mail to the Antarctic is [url=http://www.antarctica.gov.au/living-and-working/family-and-friends/introductory-package/mail-closing-dates]handled by Australia

I'm surprised respective territory owners* don't handle it. Probably do most of the time.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_claims_of_Antarctica
Augustus456
There are no country which have not a postal code.