FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you pronounce "breakfast"?

inuyasha
I've looked up it in many English-Chinese dictionaries, which all show it pronounces like "first". But my oral English teacher from Arizona said it sounds like "fist". I'm a bit confused.
silver67
It is pronounced like breck fist.
ms_j
Well actually it's brɛkfəst. It doesn't sound like "i" (like in the word "in"). But there is no "r" that's for sure.
inuyasha
Thanks for your replies~
But there's no "r" in first as well...
BrE: [fə:st]
mplankbball
BrE - Is that short for British English? If so, I can understand the pronunciation for first. There is an "r" pronounced in "first" in America.

To your original question, in America it is "breck fist" or "breck fust." I use either at times. That could explain why your teacher from Arizona said that.
watersoul
I'd say it (phonetically) BREK FUST.

To be honest though, if you are speaking it as a second (or third) language and you say BREK FIST, BREK FAST, BREK FOST, or BREK FEST, any native English speaker will still understand you.
There are so many regional differences in dialect and accent in the UK, there is no true correct way to say it. Some people will argue that there is a specific 'correct' way to pronounce every word, but they are usually folk who are from the South East counties of England who are blind to the truth that most of the island has major regional differences in the way they speak.

I have friends from the city of Glasgow in Scotland (UK) and even I have to ask them to repeat what they said sometimes because I don't understand it!

Respect to you inuyasha, your text based English is more commendable than many native speakers I know!
huperion
inuyasha wrote:
I've looked up it in many English-Chinese dictionaries, which all show it pronounces like "first". But my oral English teacher from Arizona said it sounds like "fist". I'm a bit confused.

You really shoould try to look up for this word at forvo.com. Mostly native speakers in hundreds of languages! I am using it all the time, because my work depends on it actually.
crazyfffan
watersoul wrote:
I'd say it (phonetically) BREK FUST.

You sound like a New Zealander.