FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How will a .asia domain rank?

RavenCross
I am planning to build a region specific site and is planning to use a .asia domain name. Wondering on how will this rank against .coms and the like
badai
my first impression (about 2 years ago), it's too expensive, it's minimum registration period is too long, the process to get it is too cumbersome, took to long to get approval, and there is no way you can change your DNS server once you submit your application.

my domain just don't work after i need to change my DNS server, no matter how many time i requested through e-mail. phone call either went unanswered or will be pickup by someone who hardly speak english. so after 2 months, i gave up.

maybe they have improved after 2 years.
dude_xyx
Probably they would rank next to the ccTLD domain I think.
badai
here is something funny:

.com --> verisigninc.com
.mobi --> mtld.mobi
.org --> pir.org
.tel --> nic.tel
.info --> info.info
.biz --> neustarregistry.biz

for country:
big country (present on the Internet)
.us --> nic.us
.cn --> cnnic.net.cn

small country (don't even have proper connection to the Internet)
.ai --> nic.com.ai
.fm --> dot.fm

almost all governing body of TLD make use of their own TLD after it become usable (except for few TLD that share the same governing body like .net and .com).

and the great dot asia? http://www.dotasia.org
and .asia TLD has been working since at least on 2008.

talk about low self esteem.

btw, i was confused about the year i subscribed to dot asia domain (maybe due to the second months of 2011). it was 2008 (after sunrise period), which is 3 years ago, not 2 years ago
xevo
Hard to say - I dont think I have EVER seen .asia website before

I think domains like .eu/.asia etc are mostly just released so registrars can milk all those newbe domainers who buy bunch of domains for resell. Most webmaster stick to coms/nets/orgs (and spammers to info Wink)
badai
xevo wrote:
Hard to say - I dont think I have EVER seen .asia website before

I think domains like .eu/.asia etc are mostly just released so registrars can milk all those newbe domainers who buy bunch of domains for resell. Most webmaster stick to coms/nets/orgs (and spammers to info Wink)

ya, that was what i thought when i first see the pricing 3 years ago -- are they trying to make money with it?

but my boss who was so obsess with securing all 2nd level domain just don't mind spending few hundreds buck on it.
SonLight
badai wrote:

almost all governing body of TLD make use of their own TLD after it become usable (except for few TLD that share the same governing body like .net and .com).

and the great dot asia? http://www.dotasia.org
and .asia TLD has been working since at least on 2008.

talk about low self esteem.

btw, i was confused about the year i subscribed to dot asia domain (maybe due to the second months of 2011). it was 2008 (after sunrise period), which is 3 years ago, not 2 years ago

The domain is sponsored by the dotasia organization, headquartered in Hong Kong. I imagine they were established before the .asia tld worked. They can now be reached either at dotasia.org or at asia.asia.

For more info about them, see:

http://asia.asia/about/intro.html or its dotasia.org equivalent.
ogah
badai wrote:
my first impression (about 2 years ago), it's too expensive, it's minimum registration period is too long, the process to get it is too cumbersome, took to long to get approval, and there is no way you can change your DNS server once you submit your application.

my domain just don't work after i need to change my DNS server, no matter how many time i requested through e-mail. phone call either went unanswered or will be pickup by someone who hardly speak english. so after 2 months, i gave up.

maybe they have improved after 2 years.

quote this word "there is no way you can change your DNS server once you submit your application"
if you know this problem befor submit application, why not use third party DNS hosting like editdns.net or afraid.org? you can change your DNS anytime from there