FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

hatkaptah / hatcaptor ANCIENT EGYPTIAN NAME FOR CAIRO

captainsuperdude
"Hatkaptah" which sounds sort of like "hat captor" which sounds sort of like something a leprechaun would say, was the name of the town the early ancient pharaohs Menes and Narmer established, and which became the building site of the Great Pyramids.

It's funny to think about, because the name of the country is also a kind of accidental wordplay "eeh-jipped", or "Egypt".

Do you think the english-speaking populace of egypt are psychologically affected by these pseudo-euphemisms?
watersoul
I think the average Egyptian has a lot more to worry about at the moment, with the future governance of their country probably being number 1 issue of the day.
quex
Hatkaptah. Thank you, I've learned something today. :)

I don't think the English-speaking populace of natural born Egyptians would recognize the similarity with any sort of frequency, unless the word "Hatkaptah" were extremely obscure to them; moreso than their understanding of the English words "hat" and "captor". Rather, perhaps non-Egyptian English-speakers, learning of the word "Hatkaptah", are likely to form a mnemonic image of the words "hat" and "captor" to remember it. It all has to lens around what an individual knows first.

If you are particularly interested in this sort of thing, you ought to look into studying linguistics. :D