FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Old Games

evilord
Which games you feel worth playing again and again?
silver67
My favorite game ever that I will hold in my heart forever is The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time for the N64. I could play that game over and over and never get tired of it.

My second favorite game would have to be Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64 again. Animated violence at its best.

After that the games become too recent to call old.
drunkenkoz
Well I have several favorite old games that I thought were the best, but here is my top 5: Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time, Knox, Diablo, Counter-Strike, and Doom. I could possibly go on and on with the list, but this is my overall favorite.
menino
I love the old game called worms, which is about a couple of worms on each team trying to blow each other away, in a 2-dimentional screen with different types of land surfaces.

Sometimes I play warcraft III, but I don't know if that counts as old.

Another old game I play sometimes is Little fighters.
Dementei
drunkenkoz wrote:
Well I have several favorite old games that I thought were the best, but here is my top 5: Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time, Knox, Diablo, Counter-Strike, and Doom. I could possibly go on and on with the list, but this is my overall favorite.

What he said.
drunkenkoz
menino wrote:
I love the old game called worms, which is about a couple of worms on each team trying to blow each other away, in a 2-dimentional screen with different types of land surfaces.

Warcraft III is also a great game to play. I still play occasionally when I'm in the mood. Worms, I'm not so fond of.
weableandbob
Console-wise, Ocarina of Time and Super Smash Bros. PC-wise, Red Alert 1, which luckily is now free from EA =D.
tingkagol
Star Control 2
Supermelee is still fun vs the computer or another player.
drunkenkoz
tingkagol wrote:
Star Control 2
Supermelee is still fun vs the computer or another player.

What exactly is Super Melee about? I've never heard about that game.
achowles
Outcast - still pretty impressive over a decade later. Not many other games have really pushed action adventures in terms of both action and adventure without creating something of an unplayable, over-ambitious mess. Impressive soundtrack too.

Total Annihilation - If it wasn't for the spiritual successor - Supreme Commander - this one would still be without equal in the base building RTS subgenre. Dozens of unit types. Each serving a unique purpose. Hundreds of them all at once. Plenty of control provided to launch complex and devastating attacks. All in all it was about a decade ahead of its time. Another game with a very impressive soundtrack too.

The Longest Journey - Still remains the best adventure game out there today. Very well written and voice acted. Only one maddeningly difficult puzzle. But that's so infamous that people will probably have a better idea of what to do now.

Sanitarium - Another adventure, but one that's very distinct from the former. Notable mainly for the way its surreal nature plays around with your ability to determine what's supposed to be real and what plainly is not.

Syndicate - As the avatar would suggest I'm a fan of this one. I would have appreciated it if your company was a bit more of a company and a bit less like a government. But all in all it's about as close to a perfect slice of cyberpunk dystopia as you could have hoped for back in the day.
portoskt
enemy teritorry - wolfenstein, is best of the best for sure
emanuel2
worms Armageddon is a game I still play from time to time. Its just so much fun to play it online. And it is still updated!! (even this year an update went out) So it also works fine on Win7 and it is also runnable on Linux.
cstuts
Haha, worms is a good one. Worms World Party exactly.

I'd also really like to play Diablo 2. Really nice game.
rayxzero
Elders Scroll 3 Morrowind is good old game for me on PC.
Greenblizzard
I play the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games on the Playstation One again and again.

Spyro: Year of the Dragon was one of the first games I was introduced to, and I have been a fan of Spyro ever since. What I love about Spyro is the atmosphere in the magical worlds, which especially is in focus in Spyro 1. The Spyro games also have many cool glitches(fun, not ruining the game).

I like Crash Bandicoot almost as much as Spyro. Crash Bandicoot 2 has the best atmosphere, while Warped is more fun. I didn't get to play the original Crash game before it was released in the Playstation Store, so I don't feel as attached to it as the others.

Now I just wait impatiently for the Spyro games to be available in the european PS Store so I can play them anywhere on my PSP.
drunkenkoz
Greenblizzard wrote:
I play the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games on the Playstation One again and again.

Spyro: Year of the Dragon was one of the first games I was introduced to, and I have been a fan of Spyro ever since. What I love about Spyro is the atmosphere in the magical worlds, which especially is in focus in Spyro 1. The Spyro games also have many cool glitches(fun, not ruining the game).

I like Crash Bandicoot almost as much as Spyro. Crash Bandicoot 2 has the best atmosphere, while Warped is more fun. I didn't get to play the original Crash game before it was released in the Playstation Store, so I don't feel as attached to it as the others.

Now I just wait impatiently for the Spyro games to be available in the european PS Store so I can play them anywhere on my PSP.

Crash was truly an epic game, though I lost it. I might go pick it up again for my ps2.
ankur209
Mario !! Mario !! Mario !!
rayxzero
ankur209 wrote:
Mario !! Mario !! Mario !!

All time favorite.. Very Happy
2b11
beneath a steel sky
menino
I'm right now playing an old game called Battlefield 1942 on the PC.
Its quite nice, and a lot of controls and options to choose from.
I think its more than 5 years old though, although I would still count it as an old game.
wombatrpgs
Where did the meaning of old games go... Does anyone play anything made before 1990 any more?
Peterssidan
wombatrpgs wrote:
Where did the meaning of old games go... Does anyone play anything made before 1990 any more?
What people think is old depends very much on there own age but saying 5 years is old sounds ridiculous.

Games from before 1990 I like the NES games, some of my favorites are Super Mario Bros. 3 and Ice Hockey I can mention many more games but I'm not sure if all of them are good games or if it's just an nostalgic feeling that reminds me of being young. If I have some one to play with I love to play them.
I Also like the adventure games of the 80's, I can play them again and again because they too hard so I never reach the end except for the best game of this kind, The Adventures of Maddog Williams in the Dungeons of Duridian made in 1992.
wombatrpgs
I don't know, I'm not exactly "old" in videogame terms, but I guess I'd put my own cutoff at SNES-level.
Gh0stw4r
It is a pleasure to play the Monkey Island series from LucasArts Entertainment once again thanks aTelltale Games. Razz
CheDragon
Fable, GTA, CoD
Navigator
Duck hunt FTW.
mplankbball
Rock and Roll Racing, Road Rash, and Starcraft never get old with friends.

Otherwise I can always play Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound.
Grandhacke
evilord wrote:

i never really had one....
wombatrpgs
Grandhacke wrote:
evilord wrote:

i never really had one....

You must not be playing any decent games then. Really, nothing worth replaying? Even just story-based games are good to try again if the story is good enough. What sort of games do you even play?
driftingfe3s
I loved Super Mario World, the Contra games, and Metal Slug, and Punch Out!! I still occasionally play them on emulator on my PC.
wombatrpgs
driftingfe3s wrote:
I loved Super Mario World, the Contra games, and Metal Slug, and Punch Out!! I still occasionally play them on emulator on my PC.

I agree, emulators are the best thing to happen to classic gaming...
nigam
i like super mario...the best old game ever!!! and sometime i am playing it through my computer....
cybersa
I like Mario all times.
cstuts
Diablo 2 maybe, GTA 3 Razz Awesome games.
ProwerBot
Grand Theft Auto 3. It reminds me so much of my childhood.. I will still play that games for hours on end, despite me owning newer and improved games. I don't know what it is but there's something that pulls me back... the deep storyline, the dark atmosphere, stuff you just don't get from this new era.

Sim City 2000 is also an amazing old game, and I find it to be more fun (and way more interesting) than the newer Sim City 4000.
mukesh
warcraft 3 is my old and good game but currently i am playing world of warcraft.
Camidoo
I liked Gothic 1 for the PC.
wombatrpgs
ProwerBot wrote:
Sim City 2000 is also an amazing old game, and I find it to be more fun (and way more interesting) than the newer Sim City 4000.

Yeah, Sim City 2000 was pretty great. I can remember playing the demo for it ages ago; one of the first PC games I really wanted.
drunkenkoz
cstuts wrote:
Diablo 2 maybe, GTA 3 Razz Awesome games.

Diablo 2 is still an active game with hundreds of thousands of people still playing daily. Even though 30% of them are bots spamming channels. It's still a good game and they're updating it once every other month, but the ladder seasons got shorter.
Naldo
Railroad Tycoon

Sid Meiers Railroad Tycoon is an all time classic for me.
The game is amazing, the nice old grafic style and Sid Meier is often named a genius in Programming.

On the Sid Meiers Railroad's! Website you can download original Railroad Tycoon.
http://www.2kgames.com/railroads/railroads.html

Deluxe Ski Jump

The expierience of jump and feel the air flow is remarkable .
I have played this game often and over hours, its real addictive.

Are here any DSJ Players?

Original DSJ is now free:
http://www.mediamond.fi/

Controls:
Jump = r+l mouse
in the air = mouse up/down
Landing = r+l mouse or one after another
yoske25
my really favorite game
is CoD4 - moderen warefare
inferno8719
diablo 2 is the best
LostOverThere
yoske25 wrote:
my really favorite game
is CoD4 - moderen warefare

Not particularly an old game though! Smile
wombatrpgs
inferno8719 wrote:
diablo 2 is the best

I keep forgetting this game was released over a decade ago. It feels so weird.
GoldenEagle
I went home for the Memorial day weekend and picked up my old SNES from my parents' house. I can't wait to bust out sunset riders and get that game going again! I even have an old TV to try to hook it up to!

Can you hook up old game systems to modern LCD Tvs?
weltkarte
I still love Civilization II... It was released 1996.....
Although the story in the newer version is more or less the same, version II is just straight forward and fast!
fangzr1
Well I have several favorite old games that I thought were the best, but here is my top 5: Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time, Knox, Diablo, Counter-Strike, and Doom.
chatrack
Dave! yes the "Dangerous Dave" that game is less than 80kb I think, spend lot of time in my child hood with it.
Nameless
wombatrpgs wrote:
I agree, emulators are the best thing to happen to classic gaming...

This is like saying piracy is the best thing to happen to modern gaming. It's not like there aren't still legal ways to purchase a lot of classic games ... Nintendo's virtual console or the Good Old Games website, for example.
catscratches
Nameless wrote:
This is like saying piracy is the best thing to happen to modern gaming.
Which is a statement I fully endorse.
ankur209
Mario ... Mario...mario...

n yeah

Contra too Wink
mukesh
In oldest games I like warcraft 3 too much but Silent hill too well.
wombatrpgs
mukesh wrote:
In oldest games I like warcraft 3 too much but Silent hill too well.

I always get a little sad when someone brings up games I used to play growing up in topics like this. It makes me feel old..
Munin
Dungeon Keeper (one)
Diablo
Diablo II (Thinking about replay this one)
Whacky Wheels.
achowles
inferno8719 wrote:
diablo 2 is the best

I don't get it. Yes, I've played it. Played it to death in fact. But I still don't really understand why. In terms of graphics and sound it was pretty ugly even back then. The missions were uninspired and adhered rigidly to the two most basic quests of any ARPG - the kill & fetch quests. In terms of gameplay the combat was uninspired and uninvolving. The random areas were so boxy and ugly that they made me pine after pre-rendered maps.

Generally it got so much wrong yet at the same time there was something about it which kept me glued to it for ages. Like I said, I don't get it.
wombatrpgs
achowles wrote:
inferno8719 wrote:
diablo 2 is the best

I don't get it. Yes, I've played it. Played it to death in fact. But I still don't really understand why. In terms of graphics and sound it was pretty ugly even back then. The missions were uninspired and adhered rigidly to the two most basic quests of any ARPG - the kill & fetch quests. In terms of gameplay the combat was uninspired and uninvolving. The random areas were so boxy and ugly that they made me pine after pre-rendered maps.

Generally it got so much wrong yet at the same time there was something about it which kept me glued to it for ages. Like I said, I don't get it.

Try playing a true roguelike, you might enjoy it.
c'tair
Diablo II, Fallout 1 & 2 and Wolfenstein - ET.

Those games didn't have awesome graphics but they had one thing in common - SUPER AWESOME GAMEPLAY! Seriously - I've played Fallout 1 & 2 at least 10 times each and I still play some Diablo II to this day. Wolfenstein was so simple in FPS gameplay terms but it was so god damn good to enjoy. And all the mods available for WolfET... Now you can "buy" a map pack for like 15$ for games like Black OPs, but back in those days, you had fans willing to sacrifice their time and create lots of free and great maps to play.

Those kind of games really generated a community around them, that's the reason why even after years and years have passed you still have hundreds or tens of thousands of people playing games like Diablo II or CS whereas people play Call of Duty:MW2 and then they all migrate to Black OPs when it comes out.
Ntham
Monkey Island I/II
Sam and Max
Indiana Jones and fate of atlantis
Doom
Baldur´s Gate
Half-Life
Quake
Diablo I/II
wombatrpgs
Ntham wrote:
Monkey Island I/II
Sam and Max
Indiana Jones and fate of atlantis
Doom
Baldur´s Gate
Half-Life
Quake
Diablo I/II

It's weird how no one makes games like Money Island any more... They do seem to still be popular.
achowles
[quote="wombatrpgs"]
Ntham wrote:
Monkey Island I/II
It's weird how no one makes games like Money Island any more... They do seem to still be popular.

Er... they do. You're just not looking in the right places. Firstly there's the Tales of Monkey Island games which are written by the same people responsible for the Lucasarts series (several Lucasarts series even). They also produce other series such as Sam & Max, Back to the Future and Wallace & Gromit.

Beyond them you've got a slew of other adventure games. Many taking cues from the 90s classics. These include games such as the critically acclaimed Gemini Rue and the Blackwell games along with games more directly inspired by Lucasarts such as Kaptain Brawe and Jack Keane.
wombatrpgs
Oh, that's good to know then. I've been working with a few people lately using Adventure Game Studio to try and produce something similar, it's nice to know it's still going on commercially.
welshsteve
Possibly my favourite game of all time would be Sensible Soccer on the Commodore Amiga. The 1992 version. I used to spend hours and hours every single day playing this.

I was mad on football (soccer) and other games I'd spend hours playing include Football Manager (The original version on Commodore 64), Microprose Soccer (again on the C64), Emlyn Hughes International Soccer (C64).

Some different old games I loved include Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders Very Happy Great game that.
kiralight
ragnarok online of course Very Happy
i love ths game.. this game is addicting Very Happy
PokemonCraft
heroes of might and magic 3
diablo 2
starcraft
mech commander
mech warrior
might and magic 7 8
wombatrpgs
PokemonCraft wrote:
heroes of might and magic 3
diablo 2
starcraft
mech commander
mech warrior
might and magic 7 8

Ahhh mech warrior... I remember picking up Mech Warrior 4 for $0.50 from a grocery store bargain bin once... It was kind of depressing.
Tuvitor
Star Control II (now available in an open source version called The Urquan Masters)

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

I would have put Civ I and II here, but I feel the series was perfected with Civ IV/BtS... Now if they only created a mod that would turn Civ V into Civ IV with Civ V maps, graphics, aesthetics, and Civ IV AI behavior, I may try it again, but until then... And I don't think Civ IV counts as an old game, yet...

MUDs (14.4K modem friendly textmode MMO's for the win!)

Simcity, SimEarth, SimAnt

Diablo I/II of course, and Warcraft III
wombatrpgs
Tuvitor wrote:
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

I would have put Civ I and II here, but I feel the series was perfected with Civ IV/BtS... Now if they only created a mod that would turn Civ V into Civ IV with Civ V maps, graphics, aesthetics, and Civ IV AI behavior, I may try it again, but until then... And I don't think Civ IV counts as an old game, yet...

If you're a Civ fan, I'm interested in your opinion of the newest Civilization game, the social one that hooks in to Facebook.
hdragon
pinball
mazito
i remember that i used to play Atari Ping Pong, then a years after in the 80´s with the Super Nintento

Super Mario´s Bros.
Contra
legend of Zelda
Migthy Bomb Jack

and then in a console japanese that initates a Nintendo i use to play Baseball
cnitolo
Warcarft, Warcraft2, Warcraft3, Starcraft and all the Expansion Packs. I still play those games and a few time ago I showed those gamoe to my son (9 years) and he loved it!
wombatrpgs
cnitolo wrote:
Warcarft, Warcraft2, Warcraft3, Starcraft and all the Expansion Packs. I still play those games and a few time ago I showed those gamoe to my son (9 years) and he loved it!

Haha, you only hear about the sequels nowadays.
krzycz123
-Diablo 2
-Pandemonium 2
-Jazz Jackrabbit 2
-Call of Juarez
-Disciples 2

and more more more... Smile

GREAT!
kenxeiko
Counter-Strike 1.6 No Steam. lol Razz

It's the best old game for me (i think it's already old, well, i'm sure about it)
weableandbob
Pretty much any first party Nintendo game is worth replaying over and over and over. Besides that, there are always classics like DOOM.
labrax
Play nes game with emulator Rocknes
busaboss
When it comes to old games., nothing beats super mario. The game was simple but it was very hard. I like playing it over and over again because I can reminisce my childhood days when life was still peaceful.
wombatrpgs
busaboss wrote:
When it comes to old games., nothing beats super mario. The game was simple but it was very hard. I like playing it over and over again because I can reminisce my childhood days when life was still peaceful.

Haha, nostalgia is the best reason to play old games.

But really, SMB and the Sonic games are the only platformers I've ever beaten.
LostOverThere
wombatrpgs wrote:
busaboss wrote:

Haha, nostalgia is the best reason to play old games.

But really, SMB and the Sonic games are the only platformers I've ever beaten.

Hah, man, I really need to go back to the original Super Mario Bros trilogy. Just like childhood me, adult me has yet to beat those games. Sad
Kusemun
Of course the game that I love to play and I play and play without any regards is the Super Mario from Nintendo 64. It is the most perfect game in the world!
wombatrpgs
Kusemun wrote:
Of course the game that I love to play and I play and play without any regards is the Super Mario from Nintendo 64. It is the most perfect game in the world!

I think there'd be few that wouldn't argue that that's an excellent game.
zorro
best old game dungeon master in amiga 64 Smile
wombatrpgs
zorro wrote:

This is one I can say I've never heard of. Time to look it up!
busaboss
wombatrpgs wrote:
zorro wrote:

This is one I can say I've never heard of. Time to look it up!

I haven't heard about that game too maybe I'll just look for it in Google. For me, the best old game will always be Super Mario! I love the story and difficulty of the game. The game is simple but hey, you will not have the luck to finish it if you're not good enough and determined. Very Happy
gaconex
Project IGI. i still playing this game cuz my computer only can play it :lol
wombatrpgs
gaconex wrote:

Yeah, it's weird having to emulate systems to play old games any more.
ujjawall
I play only world of warcraft some time play need for speed hot pursuit-2.
ujjawall
gaconex wrote:

Your computer is very weak. Laughing Laughing Laughing
PapaMinouche
Counter-strike and Half-life for the win! Very Happy
mrpoivre
I've begin on an Amstrad CPC 6128, then PC ! (and the first XboX)

So...

- Barbarian !
- Arkanoid !
- Dungeon Master !
- Rolling Thunder (on the Amstrad CPC 464 of one of my friend)
- Yie Ar Kung Fu
- Baldur's Gate
- Bard's Tale
- The 7th Guest
- Blade Runner
- Neverwinter Nights
- KOTOR
- and so on...
wombatrpgs
Wow, never thought I'd see another Yie Ar Kung Fu fan. That was a fun little game.
Josso
Probably sonic 1 + 2... Diablo II, mario games that kinda thing
ilmkidunya1
its taken 5 i love it to play and play and play
wombatrpgs
Josso wrote:

Haha, I remember when Diablo II was the top of the line...
Josso
lol same I think it was only like the second or so online game I actually played. As a result it's been sickening to see the whole elf/wizard culture thing popularised within the general population. The expanse of the internet has actually been a bit of a mixed blessing imo.

Ah also as a result I've never really got back into the genre either. I just don't find anything has detailed enough items or as well balanced character classes.
Iceaxe0410
Best old games...wow that's a tough one depending on what era of video gaming we're talking about.

I suppose during the 8-bit era of Nintendo, I would have to go with the original Legend of Zelda or the original Final Fantasy game. Both were so addicting back in those days of gaming. I'd still play them if i ever manage to bring back out my old nes. It's sitting underneath my chair along with all my other old consoles.

If we're jumping over to the 16-bit era, I'd go with Super Castlevania 4 or maybe even Shadowrun. Shadowrun wasn't too well known on that console, but I enjoyed playing it over and over.

The n64 era, I'd have to go with Goldeneye or Perfect Dark hands down. Those were the two games I played over and over until I broke the controllers. I still play them every so often.

The gamecube era, I'd go with Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Regular xbox, I'd go with Elderscrolls: Morrowind (basically the only game I played on that console).

Regular Playstation: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy 7. Resident Evil would probably be a close third.

I think that's pretty much it for the old generation consoles unless if you count the pc, ps2, dreamcast, saturn, genesis, and atari. I never really played those much except for the ps2 though, so I'll leave that for another topic.
Josso
Wait... I forgot a gem...

FRONTIER ELITE II

Most epic ever. Remakes = almost not possible as coding games has now become bloated bs. I mean if someone figured out how to do it without infinite loading screens AND somehow figure out multiplayer logistics it would be the best game, probably ever.

I have the original game box with map and everything, fits one ONE FLOPPY DISC. Great example of smart coding.
luciferfawkes
wombatrpgs wrote:
Josso wrote:

Haha, I remember when Diablo II was the top of the line...

Still is! Countless times of me quitting and then starting up again and it was just as exciting as the first time playing. I'm curious to see how Diablo III will do, we'll find out soon enough though.
Gregoric
As for Blizzard, don't forget about first Diablo (that's the first game I've ever played on PC, it was demo Smile), WarCraft II and StarCraft, both excellent with their Battle.net, I still like StarCraft for its diversity in races and still being balanced. Luckily, SC2 didn't waste the potential.

Activision's Wolfenstein and Splash Software's Enemy Territory. Those may not be classic for you, but I consider them so because of being my favourite shooters.

As said above, Capcom's Resident Evil 1, 2.

Also the Tekken, Mortal Kombat, although I had never been good at them Smile.

Neverhood, Heroes 2, 3, Gothic - I have finished none of them, anyway.
memno
Maniac Mansion for NES will teach you a lesson in failure if you don't know how to complete
the scenario with printed walk-throughs, as new games hold your hand and make you awesome,
without even trying..

try
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NDS)
FF Tactics or Disgaea
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
(character/school management is crazy)
Iceaxe0410
I love Actraiser for the original nes. It was one of the first action/sim games I played. I recently downloaded it to the wii. Just started a new game again. It's funny how good this game still is after all these years. Some games just don't age like the original legend of zelda, pac man, final fantasy, and dragon warrior/quest. Sure the graphics aren't as good, but the game play just makes it fun that it doesn't matter. That's one thing about Nintendo that they seem to do right. They make games that provide fun and are innovative. The xbox and playstation tend to focus on graphics. They both have their appeals, but also their disadvantages.
bukaida
I still like two of the oldest games--packman and Mario. However their Flash versions are very fast So I have to use dosbox to play the originals with lower frame rate.
wombatrpgs
bukaida wrote:
I still like two of the oldest games--packman and Mario. However their Flash versions are very fast So I have to use dosbox to play the originals with lower frame rate.

Yeah, flash versions can only be very rough ports.
Josso
wombatrpgs wrote:
bukaida wrote:

Talking along that kind of line I played a romhack of Mario 64 called Star Road and it's honestly the best romhack of any game I've ever seen. Total remake. I probably had as much fun completing it than I did the original although it's important to note that it would be impossible without save states. I dunno maybe not for a pro but it's definitely designed to be played on PC.
wombatrpgs
Josso wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

Talking along that kind of line I played a romhack of Mario 64 called Star Road and it's honestly the best romhack of any game I've ever seen. Total remake. I probably had as much fun completing it than I did the original although it's important to note that it would be impossible without save states. I dunno maybe not for a pro but it's definitely designed to be played on PC.

Romhacks are always interested because the physics are almost always identical (the main issue with flash port attempts) but the content is unlimited.
Tatolio
Old nintento games like Super mario, 007, Diddy kong racing, Donkey kong country, Bomberman, Yoshi's storie and so on.

Also some other old games like Gta, red alert etc..
wombatrpgs
Tatolio wrote:
Old nintento games like Super mario, 007, Diddy kong racing, Donkey kong country, Bomberman, Yoshi's storie and so on.

Also some other old games like Gta, red alert etc..

Red Alert remains a classic. I still wish the old C&C servers were up...
IMKCommodore64
For me it's a tie between the first Yoshi's Island and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Two classic SNES games!
wombatrpgs
IMKCommodore64 wrote:
For me it's a tie between the first Yoshi's Island and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Two classic SNES games!

I would've thought you liked the Commodore64, haha.
nircalon
Diablo II! i have played that game so many times. Never gets old. I am kind of disappointed by Diablo III only finished it once and i don't feel like doing it again.
wombatrpgs
nircalon wrote:
Diablo II! i have played that game so many times. Never gets old. I am kind of disappointed by Diablo III only finished it once and i don't feel like doing it again.

That was last updated in 2011, does that still count as old?
drunkenkoz
I agree that Diablo II, Starcraft, and the first Warcraft games were some of the best.

The problem with Blizzard nowadays is that they're making their new games purely for profit and not for the gameplay. I mean look at their newest release of Diablo 3. It's built around a real money auction house.
wombatrpgs
drunkenkoz wrote:
I agree that Diablo II, Starcraft, and the first Warcraft games were some of the best.

The problem with Blizzard nowadays is that they're making their new games purely for profit and not for the gameplay. I mean look at their newest release of Diablo 3. It's built around a real money auction house.

Isn't this the case with all commercial game studios?
jkaushalya
Age Of Empires Rise Of Rome.
blueapplepiedude
Rollercoaster tycoon 1 and 2
age of empires 2
fallout 1
slimviking
rayxzero wrote:

I'm playing it now for the first time !
Does this game have an end ?

I'm playing since 1 and half year ! Very Happy
Cosmoslayer
Final Fantasy 6 and other old Square games. Very Happy
Peterssidan
Naldo wrote:
Deluxe Ski Jump

Yeah, I have played DSJ I or II, not sure which one, many years ago. It's an original game, quite hard but fun. I did actually mail the author of this game once and asked how to make games. His answer was to buy a book. That didn't really helped me much at the time.
RosenCruz
Peterssidan wrote:
Naldo wrote:
Deluxe Ski Jump

Yeah, I have played DSJ I or II, not sure which one, many years ago. It's an original game, quite hard but fun. I did actually mail the author of this game once and asked how to make games. His answer was to buy a book. That didn't really helped me much at the time.

Never heard of that. I guess I have to check it out Rolling Eyes That's a weird homepage, kind of.
Utopia GFR
I'm actually playing "Chaser" (a game from 2003) I recently purchased on Steam :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaser_%28video_game%29

It's a great FPS mixed up with some infiltration.

Has a great pitch as well.

If anyone plays this game, let me know, I'm desperately looking for some multiplayer games.

See ya.
RosenCruz
Utopia GFR wrote:
I'm actually playing "Chaser" (a game from 2003) I recently purchased on Steam :

If anyone plays this game, let me know, I'm desperately looking for some multiplayer games.

See ya.

I had the same game from gog.com. Played it a few hours. Definitely a nice game. But I had to uninstall cause levels were kinda repeating and boring for me, after sime time Rolling Eyes
wombatrpgs
RosenCruz wrote:
Utopia GFR wrote:

See ya.

I had the same game from gog.com. Played it a few hours. Definitely a nice game. But I had to uninstall cause levels were kinda repeating and boring for me, after sime time Rolling Eyes

Seems most games that revolve around level design have that happen after some time or another.
slimviking
rayxzero wrote:

I'm playing it now !
(started almost 2 years ago)

I'm a retro gamer !
zaxacongrejo
hi
a couple of old games to remember prehistoric times

Rambo Walkthrough ZX SPECTRUM

Doom ZX SPECTRUM

Outrun ZX SPECTRUM

Dreams to Reality or Dreams

Golden Axe

Sega Rally

firstroad
i was born in 1997 so "old" games are not my specialty... what i call classic is gta san andreas but worms rock too, only 2d, 3d version of worms is just a piece of sh!t...
a game i loved is Sid meier's pirates(first made in 1987, but i have played the remake of 2002) created by sid meier known for civilization
snake, pac-man and pong are always a nice alternative
sysna
I loved wolfenstein (don't know if i have written it right Very Happy ) and quake I which i think most people never played it !
subhan1
menino wrote:

Pretty awesome games - WORMS Smile
love to play it but android version is not a very good one :/
bennybumkins
DOOM 1 and 2 are the ultimate retro games and i still play them now and they have an active online community still. Also wolfenstein is also a classic!
wombatrpgs
bennybumkins wrote:
DOOM 1 and 2 are the ultimate retro games and i still play them now and they have an active online community still. Also wolfenstein is also a classic!

I think it's great these things are still played competitively.
jajarvin
I can remember only Backman. It was a nice game, and we are played it constantly.
Ashton-Fordyce
For me, the game that I could play at any stage of my life would be Age of Empires 2, with the expansion

I used to play it online on GameRanger when I was a young teenager, and got right into the community of clans, clan rivalries, tournaments... it was nuts, such fun

So yeah, I think cos I had such a good time playing it when I was young, I could play a game at any stage without having touched it in yonks, and all the memories and nostaligia would come back and I'd just have a blast

****** good game

also, nice to see people mentioning some other rad old school games like Little Fighter, Worms, and Zelda Ocarina, haha Very Happy
slimviking
Ashton-Fordyce wrote:
For me, the game that I could play at any stage of my life would be Age of Empires 2, with the expansion

I like a lot galactic battlegrounds, based and very similar to AoE, in star wars world.
I prefer it rather starcraft even its AI is retarded (starcraft have a TERRIFIC AI)
ZeytinGrafik
I remember myself playing "super cobra" (konami's hit) on the arcade machine and it was sparkling new back then. Now can be played on the emulators. It is a precursor to nemesis which is my favourite shooter of all time.

by the way what the **** is a N64? is it a new console Razz hehe just kidding.
wombatrpgs
jajarvin wrote:
I can remember only Backman. It was a nice game, and we are played it constantly.

Wait, Pacman? Backgammon? Or am I totally missing something here?
testsoc
Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, etc. Great adventure games.

The Ultima series!
wombatrpgs
testsoc wrote:

The Ultima series!

Yeahh, it's such a shame adventure games seem to have gone on the decline.
Peterssidan
Yep, the Monkey Island games are very good, at least the first 3 that I have played. I have been thinking of playing Grim Fandango. Unfortunately it's a bit too modern to work with ScummVM. I remember a friend of mine playing this game many years ago and it was supposed to be a good game.
wombatrpgs
Peterssidan wrote:
Yep, the Monkey Island games are very good, at least the first 3 that I have played. I have been thinking of playing Grim Fandango. Unfortunately it's a bit too modern to work with ScummVM. I remember a friend of mine playing this game many years ago and it was supposed to be a good game.

Oh huh, didn't even know about ScummVM. I've been looking into making an ADV game sometime so it seems like something to check out.
Peterssidan
wombatrpgs wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

Oh huh, didn't even know about ScummVM. I've been looking into making an ADV game sometime so it seems like something to check out.

ScummVM is not really for making games. It is designed to run old existing adventure games.
wombatrpgs
Peterssidan wrote:

ScummVM is not really for making games. It is designed to run old existing adventure games.

Well, it's an interpreter, so it's always possible to develop for it with new or existing tools. Looks like it's not like a VN interpreter where there are a lot of existing tools though apart from the propreitary LucasArts stuff.
MetalBlackTiger
I really loved playing Megaman X.
dharmin
Mario Kart, Supermario, Need for sped 2 Special edition, the lion king(DOS), alladin (DOS) and Apogee Bio Menace (DOS).....these are the games i started playing with on my windows 95.....
Now that you have made me remember those fond memories, i will download them and play them again.. Very Happy
Bluedoll
Has anyone heard of Janes Hotel family Hero? Haven't played that one for a while but it is an old game also motherload silly thing really where you find out being a miner is all about being underground and spending money to go deeper and deeper. There was something I downloaded once as well where kids were throwing snow balls at each other. Can't remember the name but it was very cute.
wombatrpgs
Bluedoll wrote:
Has anyone heard of Janes Hotel family Hero? Haven't played that one for a while but it is an old game also motherload silly thing really where you find out being a miner is all about being underground and spending money to go deeper and deeper. There was something I downloaded once as well where kids were throwing snow balls at each other. Can't remember the name but it was very cute.

I had to look it up, but it seems like it's been remade on the DS.
ujjawall
World of Warcraft and IGI2 is my favourite game..... Smile
lightningleo
For old games, I would prefer Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War Soulstorm.. An awesome strategic game with awesome graphics and futuistic weapons. Game corresponds to about 5GB.
william
I recently started playing the original Sonic the Hedgehog games, and even today they are fantastic. The engine was definitely a big step forward. That burst of speed 2/3 of the way through the first act of Green Hill must have a joy when first experienced in 1991. This is a game that manages to both play well and look good 22 years later. I'm also enjoying the fact that it's not a simple run and jump game, it's a proper challenge. It's actually not even that hard compared to some of the grueling stuff from the 8 and 16 bit days, but compared to modern Sonic games and, well, modern games in general, it's a gaming treat.
Cruxader
I have many. I actually play a lot of these fairly regularly.
Atari 2600: Solaris, River Raid, Defender, Empire Strikes Back
PC: XCom UFO Defense (the OLD one), Diablo II, Monkey Island series, Shogun: Total War (the original), Sim City 2000, Doom series, Warcraft II & III.
NES: Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Mario 3, Castlevania 3, Final Fantasy, Pirates!, Little League Baseball, Mega Man 2
SNES: Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Metroid, Zelda: Link to the Past, Final Fantasy II & III, Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle, Mega Man X
N64: Zelda: Ocarina of Time (possibly the best game I've ever played), Mario Kart
Playstation: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear VR Missions, Castlevania: SOTN
Gamecube: Mario Kart, NCAA Football series, Madden NFL series, Metroid Prime I & II, Zelda: Wind Waker

I have to stop at GameCube because that was the last of what I would classify as fairly old. I actually didn't own another console after GameCube anyway. I've switched over almost entirely to PC gaming or console emulation.
Deline
I'm in the Mario team! But I also played Lion King, Donkey Kong and Goof Troop a lot!!
wombatrpgs
Deline wrote:
I'm in the Mario team! But I also played Lion King, Donkey Kong and Goof Troop a lot!!

I remember the old Genesis Lion King game. I ripped sprites from it, I think, haha.
Nikola992
AoE, CS 1.6 (still playing it, still awesome, still raging), WC 2 & 3, Diablo 1 & 2, DooM, Hexen, Heretic, SC 1, Deadlock: Planetary Conquest..list is endless, developers focused much more on the actual game then that they do now, today its all about whos gonna make 3 Titans busy >.>
pravojednostavno
Super Mario!
Peterssidan
pravojednostavno wrote:
Super Mario!

Which one?
Laro696
Not as old as some games mentioned here, but Red Alert 2!
Started playing it again this week to refresh my mind as we are planning to lan it soon. Just a class game! Can't believe its 13 years old
RoylanM
My favorite old game is the ping pong video game, I'd spend hours as a kid playing that game, the cpu almost counters your every last movement.
moncong
menino wrote:

thats my favorite too

worm really creative game ever in his time
abhinavm24
Wolfenstein....
Laughing
Heard it killed many ...
Heart is worth pounding.
Wink
sysna
of course super mario was the best old game, actually it was the first game i played and i played using a 27inches very old television and i never forget how hard it was to play in those conditions Very Happy , but i never ended any mario , was there any ending for these games ?!
75alex
Theme Hospital, it's not THAT old, it came out in the 90's, made by the best studio ever: Bullfrog !
It's now abandonware, so you can download it legally for free !
http://www.myabandonware.com/game/theme-hospital-2ek
It is a game where you have to manage an hospital, with great humor and gameplay, graphics aren't even that bad !
Peterssidan
75alex wrote:
It's now abandonware, so you can download it legally for free !

It doesn't really make it legal, just less likely to get in trouble.

Great game by the way!
barma
Call of Duty for sure! that was the first WWII PC game I've played in fact. It always brings back memory. Good memory...
alvarorojas4
The Super Mario Ones, and also Simcity 4 (That is 10 years old, so I think that it's old), I'm an addict wiith that game, I just love see how my city grows Smile
RosenCruz
Games around 2000-2003 period are now oldies for me. I ve just bought GTA III on Steam Summer sale along with some other 2000s games Smile
abhinavm24
pac man Embarassed

mah favourite forever.
Wink
venkat_60
i love "DAVE" n "MARIO".
Smile
Arrogant
Mario
Snow Bros.
Adventure Island
Pokemon
Double Dragon
Street Fighter
Contra
Ninja gaiden
neiesc
Phantasy Star
Rock N' Roll Racing
Castlevania
masterekat
Maniac Mansion

The soundtrack for that thing is epic!
Peterssidan
wombatrpgs wrote:
testsoc wrote:

The Ultima series!

Yeahh, it's such a shame adventure games seem to have gone on the decline.

I just finished Day of the Tentacle and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't very hard and only took 3 days to beat but there was lots of great sense of humour as always with the LucasArts games. I really recommend it.
Insanity
The best old games are the ones that are on SNES that were RPGS like Secret of Mana and Super Mario RPG. These were the best games of teh generation.
moncong
contra was awesome in his time
william
moncong wrote:
contra was awesome in his time

Ah yes, that was a great game. Loved the 2 player mode and skull-crushing difficulty. I have to play that again (I admit, I barely played it, but I'd like to change that).
abhinavm24
didn't i say GTA.
Embarassed
GTA V you gotta watch me.
Razz
zimmer
evilord wrote:

Battle CITY. - anyone play this?

I have play this on family computer.. Very Happy
toonkaboom
For ever and ever the best old games is Mario Game
PokemonHunter
heroes of might and magic 3 one of the best
SpaceInvader75
Hmmmmm, trying to remember my favorite old games:

Quote:
I'm right now playing an old game called Battlefield 1942 on the PC.
Its quite nice, and a lot of controls and options to choose from.
I think its more than 5 years old though, although I would still count it as an old game.

It came out in 2002, so almost 12 years old. And that game would still be plenty of fun today. I play Battlefield 3 on Xbox (can't afford the Battlefield 4 yet).

I played hours and hours of Diablo 2, Warcraft 2, and Starcraft. Oh, lets not forget Age of Empires! I would still play any of those games today if I find them. Final Fantasy 7 used to be one of my favorite games also, and a few years ago I actually tried out one of the Baulder's Gate games. I don't even know if you can still find that those, but I would definitely play it today. I don't think I ever got tired of playing Super Mario either.
Gregoric
I have recently installed Settlers II Gold Edition via DosBox and... It is still a great piece of game. Although some people would not like the graphics - or lack of it when compared to games from nowadays - but to be honest, I really did like the look of the game on my laptop screen.

It brings back old memories when I used to play it with friends Smile

It is indeed a good game to try out, if someone wants, there is a 10th Anniversary Edition of the game with improved, 3d graphics.
ClaudiuS
Dyna!!!
and Star Wars Racer
infinitude
Quake3! It's a fast-paced FPS which requires player thinking/counting/calculating all the time. It's too difficult for a new comer to build confidence since even entry level techniques such as CJ/SJ need lots of practice...
Pippo90
I played a lot of time with Super Mario Land 2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Land_2:_6_Golden_Coins) on my Game Boy, also because it was the only game I used to have. Crying or Very sad Luckily, at the end I managed to finish it. Cool
Nyasro
Super mario is best one for me.
adampatrick
pong! pac man, mario, sonic, streets of rage, grand theft auto
jackyxie
evilord wrote:

Limbo, a well designed game~
Insanity
The Final Fantasy series are the best. I would like to play those games all the time. They are a classic example of how RPGs should be. They are much better than the new ones that come out. Maybe I´m just too old fashioned, but I like the simplicity of the old games. I also like the other ones like Super Mario RPG and Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger. They all have the simlar sort of battle systems and grpahics and nothing is too different and easy to learn.
Nyasro
Super Mario
Deline
Oh, I forgot to say ALADDIN! I love this game ^^
Peterssidan
Deline wrote:

Not sure if there are more than one Aladdin game but if you mean the SNES game then I agree it's a good game. There is another game called Prince of Persia which I think is based on the same original story. Not the best game but a classic, well worth spending some time playing.
Ankhanu
I've had a hankerin' for some of the old Lucas SCUMM games lately... more specifically, I've been wanting to play Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders. I had the game for C64, and it was a brilliant blend of humour, puzzles and weirdness.

I've also been wanting to play some X-Wing vs TIE Fighter... or something similar. I've been hoping for a similar sort of game to be produced for years; similar in game play, but updated for modern computing... alas, no such luck.
kaysch
evilord wrote:

After reading this message I had to think of a series of games I used to like a lot:

Leasure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
Space Quest
Kings Quest
Quest for Glory
Police Quest

and so on. They were created in the 80s by a US-based company called Sierra.

After reading this I started to play those old adventure games again. Really funny and enjoyable.

However in these days the solutions to those games are widely and freely available on the internet. So what I have been doing now was to "play" them following the hints. Which of course makes the games much quicker, and also less frustrating. Typing in the Solutions gives those games a very different flair: they have now become like interactive films. Which is of course not the idea of the original game setup but it's a funny experience nevertheless.

Oh, and the scene where the hero from Space Quest 1 has to hide in a washing machine is still my favourite, after so many years
dude_xyx
Anyone remember this DOS game called Dave ? A boy running in tunnels. Much like Super Mario but even more older and simpler than that one.
Peterssidan
Ankhanu wrote:
I've had a hankerin' for some of the old Lucas SCUMM games lately... more specifically, I've been wanting to play Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders. I had the game for C64, and it was a brilliant blend of humour, puzzles and weirdness.

This game must have passed below my radar. After reading your post weeks ago I started to play the game but now I'm stuck, as usual. Wink The interface is very much similar to Maniac Mansion.

dude_xyx wrote:
Anyone remember this DOS game called Dave ? A boy running in tunnels. Much like Super Mario but even more older and simpler than that one.

Yeah I remember but I never played it much.
muntja
silver67 wrote:
My favorite game ever that I will hold in my heart forever is The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time for the N64. I could play that game over and over and never get tired of it.

My second favorite game would have to be Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64 again. Animated violence at its best.

After that the games become too recent to call old.

You are correct sir; Legend of zelda games are awesome... always true to my heart; trying to rate them it goes

1) majora's mask
2) legend of zelda 1 (nes)
3) octorina of time
4) twilight princess (this could have been higher... but the start of the game really is like 3 hours long and so boring)
5) wind waker
6) snes legend of zelda
7) minish cap

the rest were kind of eh in my book; i go back and play those all the time; conker's was good too, although the xbox release was a little bit better;

to add to this, perfect dark (also the xbox release) is good; and of course, dark cloud (1st one, second one sucked);

i wish they would make another dark cloud... that game was awesome.
spinout
I was at the tech museum, retro gaming show, in stockholm and there are only 2 games - pacman and asteroids. But Asteroids win...
Deline
Peterssidan wrote:
Deline wrote:

Not sure if there are more than one Aladdin game but if you mean the SNES game then I agree it's a good game. There is another game called Prince of Persia which I think is based on the same original story. Not the best game but a classic, well worth spending some time playing.

Yes! Its de SNES game! My dad was addicted to this Prince of Persia too. Very Happy

Do you guys know the OpenEmu app? It's for Mac, it can emulate a lot of game consoles and you can use a Wiimote, Playstation (I guess only the 4), Xbox and even an iPhone as a control! *_*
Adalew
Super Mario, I think it is very interesting.
RosenCruz
I am playing Fallout currently. Stuck at final Mutants base.Working on it Cool
SlashnburnSoftwareStudio
Downloaded Steam first time in 5 years or more, back on dayofdefeat original
Crypted
Conker's Bad Fur Day for the Nintendo 64. Best game I ever played Very Happy
spinout
Remember Motor city online! The best online game ever!!!
Adalew
GTA and Final Fantasy VII
wsycarlos
Pokemon is always the best!!! Twisted Evil
spinout
Olympic games - that was fun 30 years ago...
Utopia GFR
There are some retro games I play on Steam.

Z, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, Psychonauts, Postal, Original War and some Pac Man (even though I play the updated version, Championship Edition DX).

I have a full set of retro Megadrive games on my 360, might as well get back to those Very Happy

Really like going old school, full of nostalgia! Smile
alikaratekin
enemy teritorry - wolfenstein, is best of the best for sure
fiat126p
The best games of all time of mine (no ordering intended):

• SimCity 2000
  • Transport Tycoon Deluxe
  • Dyna Blaster (AKA Bomberman but Dyna Blaster will always remain as such in my heart)
  • Worms Armageddon
  • Jazz Jackrabbit (both 1 and 2)

Of course there are a lot of other titles to mention but these are just my top favourites.
spinout
I still motorcity online. The best online game ever.
loveandormoney
evilord wrote:

Diplomacy.
Yesterday
20 people plyed nea. 8 hours.
And we ate xmas cake.
william
Not a superlative for me, but I'm really enjoying Battletoads. Not an easy game by any means, but it's so much fun. You just have to keep playing again and again...because it's hard, and leaves a grin on your face. Great music, too, particularly in level 3.
oerhans
Does anyone remember this NES game? I've been searching for it for a long time but can never find it, used to play it when I was young a lot. As said it was on the NES. It was a sort of half top down view if I can remember correctly. Had a dark look and a lot of jumping over gaps in the floor etc. The main character was some kind of Furby looking animal if I remember correctly.

My memory is a bit vague on this, but I hope this rings a bell for someone. Smile
cowkingsscribe
Nowadays I primarily play PC games (new and old) and NCAA Football 2005 on the Gamecube. I know that it's really random that I still play NCAA Football 2005 on the Gamecube... I just enjoy it for some reason.

Old PC games that I still play:
Star Control II - GREAT game. (Get your hands on the free high-def remake Ur-Quan Masters)
Sim City 2000
Shogun: Total War (The Original Shogun)
Medieval: Total War (Again, the original)
X-COM: UFO Defense (The OLD X-Com)
DOOM series
Diablo II
Anything related to Rogue - ANYTHING

Old NES games that I still play:
Pirates! - I know this has been ported to a million systems, but this one is my fave.
Tecmo Super Bowl
Mario 3 - Yes, I still bust this one out occasionally.
Metroid
Zelda
Castlevania III
Final Fantasy - Rarely replay it, but still.

Old SNES games that I still play:
Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV
Ogre Battle
Zelda
Tecmo Super Bowl
Final Fantasy II and III - Rarely replay them, but still.

PSOne
Castlevania SOTN
spinout
I suppose railroad tycoon on the amiga was one of tthe best classics
JoinBuff
Gothic ! not else Cool
smanning
Age of Empires <3
RosenCruz
How about Quake 2? I bought it from gog.com and reliving the action
spinout
The beast online game ever: MCO - motor city online.
Insanity
Anyone play Runescape? That game was awesome back in the day.
loveandormoney
Do You use the old machines or do You play it on modern cellphones?
MOUD
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Quake (Team Fortress)
Age of Empires I&II
King of the Road
SpaceInvader75
Apparently you can now play "Knights of the Old Republic" (I think that's the name) on android, which was one of my favorite old games for the original Xbox. At the time I saw it you could even get it free through Amazon. But I couldn't play it because my phone didn't have enough memory. I think you need 2GB free and my phone has a bunch of programs I don't want on it taking up the space. But I thought it was worth mentioning here.
pericopalote
It was fun building a city in SimCity4 big enought till my computer couldn't handle it. Laughing
spinout
Asteroids - ---- vectors rule