FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone ever grow their own food?

watersoul
After reading a few comments about the difficulties a fellow Frihoster has sourcing some fresh local fruit & vegetables, (in the 'Whats your favourite dish?' topic) it got me wondering if anyone grows their own here?

Even if you only have a sunny window you can grow chilli's, tomatoes, even runner beans quite successfully.
Spring is about here now so I'll be starting on my own plans for a summer crop - tomatoes, lettuce, radishes, runner beans, onions, and strawberries.
I'm no expert and I'm not into too much hard work either, but with a few medium size containers and a bit of patience it's surprising the results you can get.
Interested in anyone elses growing experiences, especially in the many different climates we all come from?
iman
this is probably what you're not looking for, but I once took out a week-old donut out of the fridge and ate it, only to find out later that there were molds under the donut. So I think I "grew" what I ate?
saratdear
Been trying to do so for a few days...tomatoes, beans, chillies, and all the rest of it. Except the beans, all of them have been a bit reluctant to come out of the soil. Smile Even with all the care. Anyway, with the nice rains I've been getting in my place, some more would probably raise their heads.
watersoul
@ iman - Yep that works as 'grow your own' but yuk though! Laughing

@ saratdear - Good luck with your crops, which beans are you growing though, Runner Beans like me or something different?
panicmanic
I grow my own basil and chives, but I dont have room for much else. My mother keeps a veggie garden with zucchini, peppers, peas and onions in the summer. Delicious!
watersoul
You can't beat fresh herbs thats for sure, how about try a chilli plant as well, they're not too big.
Next time you use one in ingredients for cooking, keep a few seeds and place them in some wet tissue paper in a bowl or something (keep it wet/damp), they'll soon germinate, and with a small amount of earth and a little pot you'll be good to go Smile
ocalhoun
Grew okra, cucumbers, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, blueberries, and blackberries in a garden as a kid. Oh, and also mandarin oranges and limes.

Don't want to plant a garden at my current place though (a rental property), and there's so many deer here, they would probably eat it all first anyway.
I do keep a small heirloom seed collection though - just for preparedness purposes.
(Heirloom seeds will sprout plants capable of reproducing and producing new, viable seeds... unlike most commercial seeds these days.)

(Besides the point, having a garden is a nice hobby, but it can be a LOT of work for a meager reward - weeding it and keeping pests out can be very tedious... and then when things to finally ripen, you have more than you can eat before it goes bad, and end up giving most of it away to friends anyway.)
watersoul
ocalhoun wrote:
...I do keep a small heirloom seed collection though - just for preparedness purposes.
(Heirloom seeds will sprout plants capable of reproducing and producing new, viable seeds... unlike most commercial seeds these days.)

(Besides the point, having a garden is a nice hobby, but it can be a LOT of work for a meager reward - weeding it and keeping pests out can be very tedious... and then when things to finally ripen, you have more than you can eat before it goes bad, and end up giving most of it away to friends anyway.)

I know what you mean about everything being harvested at once and you end up with too much. It's happened to me a few times, but I enjoy the sharing of the crop so that makes up for it.

Regarding heirloom seeds, I've personally never had any problem with the cheap seeds I buy here, and over a couple of years I've experimented with good results by letting the excess of my plants 'go to seed' then germinating and planting them the following season.
My runner beans this year are all coming from the excess of last year, and so are the radish. I wonder if there are different regulations between US/EU and the seeds we buy?

*Edit* I certainly don't get the Deer problem here, just mostly annoying Seagulls but they don't care about my plants, and are more interested in my rubbish bin!
standready
ocalhoun wrote:
Don't want to plant a garden at my current place though (a rental property), and there's so many deer here, they would probably eat it all first anyway.

Those deer love my apple trees! Squirrels get the walnuts off the tree.
As for plantings, I usually do tomatoes and green peppers. Rabbits go after the young plants so I start them in containers. Planting season is still close to three months away here.
watersoul
standready wrote:
Planting season is still close to three months away here.

Thats such a long time away!
The annual period you've got for plant growth is a lot shorter than I've got here. If I was not so lazy I'd have something to harvest every month - even if in winter it's just potatoes, swedes, parsnips, turnips, kale, leeks and onions. I think I'd like to get on the case this year and plan things out properly to have food ready every few weeks.
...there's nothing better than the food you grow yourself, but unfortunately there's nothing easier than simply popping to the market for something someone else has taken the effort to grow!
deanhills
iman wrote:
this is probably what you're not looking for, but I once took out a week-old donut out of the fridge and ate it, only to find out later that there were molds under the donut. So I think I "grew" what I ate?
Laughing Laughing Laughing Good one!

Where I am, the weather is REALLY harsh most of the year round. But yes, one could probably still do something with growing veggies. One can at least try. So watersoul, do you have some guidelines for us. How do you prepare the soil, and what would you suggest for counteracting pests (we have plenty of those around here), and especially cats.

I am also limited to a few pots on my patio, everything is under concrete. I think of the challenges I face, weather and cats are my greatest challenges, and perhaps closely after that, myself being really lazy to potter in a garden, but I'm willing to try if I can visualize in properly, plot and plan. Could be fun. Very Happy
watersoul
I'm no expert Dean, but I'd definitely say have a go and see how you get on.

For soil I just dig a little out of the ground for my pots but if thats not an option for you, how about a cheap bag from a large store or something?

Pests, well I don't use pesticides myself so I do end up losing up to a quarter of my fruit/plants through green fly or other curious moulds which I don't know the name of. As soon as I spot it I cut any affected branches etc away and hope for the best! There is a school of thought with companion plants which repell certain pests, but I've not had much success with that really.

The cat thing made me laugh (sorry) I just imagined bands of feline gangs roaming your street looking for small plant containers to 'do their business' in! Put the containers on a table or something just out of reach or difficult to get up to? Failing that, a childs water-gun as a repellant, that would be entertaining at the least! Smile

I know it's hot where you are so regarding water I would suggest each morning/evening and not the hottest time of the day to avoid too much evaporation. Before/after work is handy as it fits in with your schedule that way.
Definitely have a try though I say, even if it's just a few fresh tomatoes you get each day, you'll be glad you did it.
saratdear
watersoul wrote:

@ saratdear - Good luck with your crops, which beans are you growing though, Runner Beans like me or something different?

Uh..I'm not sure of the exact name of the variety in English. I know my kind has got purple flowers vs the red I see in the link for runner beans.
deanhills
@Watersoul. Thanks for the tips! Very Happy Maybe I will try with something easy first and see whether I can grow herbs in my kitchen. Then get some proper gardening soil at a gardening shop, as well as vegetable seeds. I've noticed my neighbour putting up some slim wooden rods sticking out about two or three foot out of their garden bed, I may do the same, perhaps it is their way of dealing with cats. Laugh .... now there aren't probably bands of felines, but there are a number of wild ones in this area, cats don't have it as good in the Middle East as they do in England I think, in our compound people in general deal OK with them, but given in general that pets are considered to be dirty in this neck of the woods, you may find children chasing them with sticks and stuff. I'm living in a compound now, but while I was living in the city area for a couple of years, I saw lots of that happening. Cats are also very tough on one another, probably because of survival of fittest and in the city there are proper garbage cats hanging around garbage disposing bins as well as the local butchers. There's no SPCA here .... but there are expats who go out to see whether they can help them. All of it is voluntary stuff. But your image of a band felines looking for flower beds is not very far off .... Very Happy .... particularly since there is not much soil around outside, almost every inch of available ground is either under brick or concrete.
watersoul
@Dean, I completely understand that situation with animals being treated differently around the world, it reminded me of Malaysia/Thailand.
On the Malaysia side of the land border you will see many feral cats scratching out a living, but not a dog in sight. Take 5 minutes to walk the 100 metres into Thailand and it's the complete opposite, not a cat in sight, but scabby stray dogs are running around everywhere! I actually wondered what happened to all the dogs in Malaysia? Shocked

Definitely try the growing food thing though fella, and considering the climate you have I'd say get some tomatoes on the go.
Another tip for you - If you have a wall or shelf you can put the tomato container on, just let the plant do it's own thing and it will hang/drop down as it grows. That way you don't need to mess about with sticks and wire to support it. The tomatoes will be out of reach of the psycho cats and you can just pick what you want whenever you want it.
Nameless
I've put cake mix in an oven and watched it grow, does that count for anything. Very Happy
Asap170
We have a nice size garden. Grow a lot of beans and tomatoes. Yummy.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
I've put cake mix in an oven and watched it grow, does that count for anything. Very Happy
Laughing I'm not much into baking, but I used to be fascinated with things growing in an oven when I was a kid! Especially when my grandmother was doing the baking .... , amazing how things got to be transformed from one state to the other. Great fun .... Smile
Bluedoll
I personally like snow peas. They are hardy and produce quickly in the season, and provide eat right off the vine or a fresh on the plate veggie. I always pick for freshness minutes before mealtime which makes home grown always the better in value. Carrots and potatoes are great stables though I’ve found them to require a little maintenance. Squashs are easy to grow for close to the pole climates if you have the space to grow them in.
ankitdatashn
I used to grow vegetables in my garden area in childhood, infact this was my passion to see those little seeds grow into plants and give us seeds to eat, I first enclosed seeds into cotton kept in a bowl, then kept it wet all throughout by pouring little water regularly in the bowl. When The little roots erupted from the seeds the took those and planted in small mud containing pots.... so nice experiences those were Smile
speeDemon
Well I can't really say that I've ever grown food on my own, but I do have a village farm (my grandfather's father was a agriculturalist) so I do get some grains and food from there.

Apart from that, there is this scheme for some farm houses, where they maintain/grow plants for 3 years for free(inclusive in the cost rather), and later on you may or may not continue.
They have all sorts of vegetables, fruits and medicinal plants. We go there from time to time to pick some vegetables and fruits, all organic, nice Smile
deanhills
speeDemon wrote:
Apart from that, there is this scheme for some farm houses, where they maintain/grow plants for 3 years for free(inclusive in the cost rather), and later on you may or may not continue.
They have all sorts of vegetables, fruits and medicinal plants. We go there from time to time to pick some vegetables and fruits, all organic, nice Smile
That sounds like an awesome project! I imagine there is a fee involved, is it very expensive, and what would one's participation be in the project?
speeDemon
deanhills wrote:
speeDemon wrote:
That sounds like an awesome project! I imagine there is a fee involved, is it very expensive, and what would one's participation be in the project?

Actually the company bought some land outside the city, and sold plots to people interested. They're trying to make a 'colony of farm houses', may sound a bit stupid, but that's their plan.

The money paid was inclusive of the payment for the land, a small house they'll build on it with two rooms and a bathroom or so, and 3 years of maintenance of the plants, inclusive of their cost and sowing and all that. So it's not really a cheap project that anyone can put money into, you are actually buying a house in a way. That being said, the standard rates of land and construction were applied.
deanhills
speeDemon wrote:
deanhills wrote:
speeDemon wrote:

Actually the company bought some land outside the city, and sold plots to people interested. They're trying to make a 'colony of farm houses', may sound a bit stupid, but that's their plan.

The money paid was inclusive of the payment for the land, a small house they'll build on it with two rooms and a bathroom or so, and 3 years of maintenance of the plants, inclusive of their cost and sowing and all that. So it's not really a cheap project that anyone can put money into, you are actually buying a house in a way. That being said, the standard rates of land and construction were applied.
Sounds almost like the Netherlands to me, but in the Netherlands it is more like gardening. Maybe someone from the Netherlands can correct me if I am wrong. Sounds like a neat idea to me. So I guess you can sleep in the house? What is the cost of all of that, do you know? And which city? Very Happy
xevo
Grow my own food? Yup, That would be nice (healthier then all the junk they add to normal food) but not only I don't have place to do so but also I would probably end up killing all the plans. I'm not good at taking care of things LOL
Insanity
I love growing my own food, and I think everyone should. I think it's a good idea to learn how your food is grown because it teaches you where your food comes from and makes you make better and healthier choices. As opposed to all tat processed food from McDonalds and such.
nigam
for the veggies, we have malunggay tree, malabar spinach, eggplant and okra...
for the fruits, we have green mangoes, papaya, jackfruit, pomelo, chikko fruit, guava, and guyabano....
we have it here in our backyard...
CheDragon
My mom grows spices and we have an avocado tree
deanhills
CheDragon wrote:
I'd really be in heaven if one day I could stay in an area that grows cayenne pineapples and Hass avocados. And be able to walk in vineyards where I can feast on grapes directly from the trees. The avos and pineapples are my most favourite fruits. Sweet nectarines are also great. When they are from Jaffa in Israel. The grapefruit from Jaffa is also the best ever. I have not had any of those in ages.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
CheDragon wrote:
I'd really be in heaven if one day I could stay in an area that grows cayenne pineapples and Hass avocados.

Avocado trees are too big for most of them, but you should easily be able to find a greenhouse big enough to grow pineapples in.

-had an avocado tree once... grew it from a seed. But it died in 2 years, before bearing any fruit Crying or Very sad .
nigam
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
CheDragon wrote:
I'd really be in heaven if one day I could stay in an area that grows cayenne pineapples and Hass avocados.

Avocado trees are too big for most of them, but you should easily be able to find a greenhouse big enough to grow pineapples in.

-had an avocado tree once... grew it from a seed. But it died in 2 years, before bearing any fruit Crying or Very sad .

we had an avocado tree in our backyard before..it bears fruits already but i cut it off and used the lot for the house of his racing pigeons....
Greatking
i would love to have by very own garden of herbs and fruits and vegetables one day.
i think its great and wonderful to grow your own fruits and veges.
one thing, you are assured of its quality.
you have the quantity you want also.
i think its refreshing to grow your own crops if you have the land and you are able.
nigam
Greatking wrote:
i would love to have by very own garden of herbs and fruits and vegetables one day.
i think its great and wonderful to grow your own fruits and veges.
one thing, you are assured of its quality.
you have the quantity you want also.
i think its refreshing to grow your own crops if you have the land and you are able.

yes...its true...very fresh from the tree and you know that the ones you've eat doesn't have tainted with chemical pesticides and insecticides
Possum
I grow my own potatoes. I plant so many they prevent the weeds from growing. That why I do it. There is nothing better than a new potato..
Bluedoll
deanhills wrote:
CheDragon wrote:
I'd really be in heaven if one day I could stay in an area that grows cayenne pineapples and Hass avocados. And be able to walk in vineyards where I can feast on grapes directly from the trees. The avos and pineapples are my most favourite fruits. Sweet nectarines are also great. When they are from Jaffa in Israel. The grapefruit from Jaffa is also the best ever. I have not had any of those in ages.
I agree.
The fruit of the earth where ever you may find it is certainly delicious. Weeds on the other hand bear no resemblance to fruit. They are just weeds.
Though you do need to be careful in your classifications. Some people that want dominance over the land say they hate weeds and will poison everything in sight. They love their lawns but can not eat grass. Dandy lions for example are eatable and are good for you too and anyone can grow them. Watch out for the poison people though!
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
Watch out for the poison people though!
Totally agreed! Very Happy
chatrack
Hi,

We grow some vegitables, banana, jack fruit etc. Its seasonal food items.
Once we grow ladyfinger. We got many for some days.

We got fresh item, no fear of insecticides.
Radar
Certain fruits trees that have at one time or another lived in our backyard... that's about it.
TurtleShell
don't grow my own food, but I do bake my own bread.
GoldenEagle
I tried growing my own tomatoes for a few summers but I had a heck of a time trying to keep the squirrels out. Add to that the fact that I don't have a garden hose and had to carry my water out to the tomatoes bucket by bucket and you get a very unhappy person. Crying or Very sad
jilbs
rachard1583 wrote:
Aquaponics is a way of growing both fish and vegetables together with very little effort on your part. Once set up, this is a system where the fish and the plants will mostly take care of each other. Your job will be to feed the fish, plant the plants, and check on the system every once in a while. And if feeding the fish is too much, automatic feeders are wonderful things.

Lebanon Spring Blog

Watched several vidoes about aquaponics on youtube and i say that this is a good way to grow your own organic food in your backyard.

imagine if all house in the world has aquaponics, there will be no shortage of green vegestable and healthy fish meat.

This might even solve hunger in the world.
Stupid_American
Well, I haven't been home long enough, until now, to do so. But recently, I have started a garden. It's maybe 10 feet by 50 feet, for the main area, then I have a small bed closer to the house, and a strawberry patch on the other side of the house. Yeah, apparently I like to work my ass off. Not to mention the citrus I planted(this is Florida, after all).

Ok, so I'm growing 3 kinds of lettuce, 3 kinds of cabbage, 3 kinds of tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic, strawberries, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, peas(I hate my life), bell peppers, couple different onions, radishes, thyme, purple and green basil, oregano, um... without getting out the list, I can't think of them all, but that's pretty much it. Most of it I am growing to share with my retired mother. I cook for her alot, and I trade my neighbor, who has chickens and pigs, for eggs and other yummy stuff.

As ocalhoun pointed out early on, it's a ton of work for either very little benefit, or for more than you need. There's almost no in between. Oh, and I planted like 100 flowers, because my soon-to-be-bride likes them. Yeah. It's a full time job, which is great, because now she has all the time in the world to NOT FRIGGIN SPEND WITH ME... ugh... My grandfather had a garden after he retired as a military chemist, and he grew beans. BEANS! Do you know how insane you have to be to grow and harvest enough beans for a pot of chili? Patience of a monk, that man had...
deanhills
Stupid_American wrote:
Ok, so I'm growing 3 kinds of lettuce, 3 kinds of cabbage, 3 kinds of tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic, strawberries, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, peas(I hate my life), bell peppers, couple different onions, radishes, thyme, purple and green basil, oregano, um... without getting out the list, I can't think of them all, but that's pretty much it. Most of it I am growing to share with my retired mother. I cook for her alot, and I trade my neighbor, who has chickens and pigs, for eggs and other yummy stuff.
How do you find time for all of this, including a job that seems to be killing you time wise? Twisted Evil

Sounds like a very healthy food situation however. All organic including the chickens, pigs and eggs. Cool
chatrack
Hi,

For the last few months, there is a threat of food poising due to excessive use of artificial pesticide
which are banned in our country.

This has become a political issue. So far now it is lawfully banned completely. But there is a chance
that it is still used during cultivation.

so more people are turned to cultivate some vegs. as they can at their, house fields itself.
ratanegra
My family used to grow tomatos, tangerines and many other things, but then we had to move and I never saw the garden again. Now we only grow some berries of which I don't know the name. Now I plant coins and gather money every fall and spring (especially $5's and $20's)
spinout
i used to grow strawberries.
To day I got some bushes that have some berries, just...
Stupid_American
deanhills wrote:
Stupid_American wrote:
How do you find time for all of this, including a job that seems to be killing you time wise? Twisted Evil

Sounds like a very healthy food situation however. All organic including the chickens, pigs and eggs. Cool

Nephews. Bribery.

Seriously. I outsource alot of work to my brothers kids. Ultimately, I get maybe 3 hours of sleep a night, so there's that. As for the job, I am currently working a '24 on 48 off' schedule. Which means I work 24 hours, and am off for 48 hours. It works out to 10 days a month, and affords me a pretty good amount of time for my hobbies.
mshafiq
i used to grow in my garden green corriander and red chillies and tomatoes.i don't know why i love to grow these vegetables.
i love the smell of green corriander and i have a habit to use in my dishes too.it has health benefit too, like acid in corriander helps to controll the cholesterol level in the blood..
corriander has iron which directly helps curing anemia.it controll the blood suger level.it has lots of health benefit.
In my food i am using daily these three vegetables.thats why i am growing and no need to buy from market.
red chillies also have health benefit like helps in reducing cancer cell,
As tomato has large amount of vitamin c that is good for health.
in fact i have good weather to grow these vegetables.daily i am taking care of my garden.
it like it become my hobby now
mshafiq
My mom had a habit of growing mint and corriander at home in pots because these two vegetables we used in our dishes for good smell.these vegetables are eeasy to grow and have agood health benefit like mint is good in digestive problems and stomach cramps.
Corriander is also good in digestion and helps settle the stomach and prevent flatulence.
Protects against urinary tract infections
Prevents nausea
Relieves intestinal gas
Lowers blood sugar
Lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and raises good cholesteraol (HDL)
Because my mom usually grow in pots so it creat good smell in house and always we have fresh to use in our food and no need to buy from market.
I think these two vegetables are very easy to grow in door they do not require hard work just put the seed in good potted soil and give water when they require and they do not require lot of money and attention.feel free to grow and enjoy home made vegetables.
deanhills
mshafiq wrote:

I think these two vegetables are very easy to grow in door they do not require hard work just put the seed in good potted soil and give water when they require and they do not require lot of money and attention.feel free to grow and enjoy home made vegetables.
Great idea! I should really try this myself. Cool
paulthomas
Yes every year. I have a small garden behind the house and I grow some vegetables and spices just