FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Building a site for my music. Any suggestions?

JoeMusician
I'm really new to this website building, but I want to get my music out there. I'm hoping that this is a good start by making a site so people can come check out my music. Am I in the right place to begin this here? Can anyone help or give me any suggestions on how to build a site properly so that I may achieve this?
JoeMusician
I love music. I write and play all my own music, record, and mix it. I play guitar, bass, drums, a little piano, vocals, and pretty much whatever I can get my hands own. I love music more than anything and have been blessed with the ear for it. I love music. I'm trying to learn how to create a website so that I may share my music with others. Hoping to meet others like me who create their own music. There has to be more people out there doing the same thing or has some suggestions on how to go about doing this. Did I mention that I love music? Reply to let a newcomer know if you can build a site like this here, or even if you just want to express your love for music!!!! Oh yeah...................I love music!!!!
wombatrpgs
You know, you can always use sites like Bandcamp or SoundCloud to get your stuff out there without actually making a website yourself.
Ankhanu
wombatrpgs wrote:
You know, you can always use sites like Bandcamp or SoundCloud to get your stuff out there without actually making a website yourself.

This is pretty much where I was going with my reply. MySpace is still a viable option as well.

There are services that already exist to get music exposure online. Building your own website for exposure will likely be a flop... unless you know how to market yourself and adjust your standing within, for example Google searches. As it stands, there are thousands upon thousands of music websites out there; yours will likely be a drop in the ocean. It's not a great method to gain exposure.

However, if your intent is to gain experience building a website in general, using a topic you love, this is a great exercise! Alternatively, if you're not looking for exposure via the web, but are looking to have a showcase that you direct people towards (rather than hoping they find you), it could also be handy.
Do you already know HTML, CSS, PHP/mySQL, Flash, Java, etc? If you don't, the first place to start is research on the basics (and then more advanced topics) of web development. Forget about your site for a while until you have the foundation from which to tackle it.

If you're going to build the site, take a look around the web at other music/band sites to get some ideas. Check out the most successful sites. What features do they have? What information do they have? What can you include to make your site truly yours. What are the typical design elements? What can you do to make a design that is attractive, easy to navigate and reflective of your works?

Something that you might bear in mind, though, is that there's a 250Mb limit here for file storage. That's not going to allow for a tonne of music storage. You can overcome it somewhat by only hosting short clips of your music rather than whole songs.

From a design stand point, I'm going to offer the suggestion that you avoid an automatic music player or flash intro screens. These are almost universally annoying as all get-out.
JoeMusician
I really apreciate you guys and your input. Seems like I have a lot to learn about building a website, which I feel it is something that would love to learn and enjoy. I've never really had internet access, so let's just say I'm a noob. I have had access to computers, (both mac and pc). I know them both in and out and can navigte them pretty well. Don't know any techinal names of anything. Can't read music either. Does that mean I can'y play? I am trying to learn that to. But was just blessed with the ability to play pretty well, which I'm VERY thankful for. Point is, I feel like I might have left out some very important steps and got ahead of myself because of the natural ability for both music and computers. Not as smart as I thought I was!!!! Crap. Anyway, you guys are much appreciated for your very prompt and helpful replies. I'm going to check into some of the things you recomended and reply about my progress. Thank you and keep loving that music!!!!!
Ankhanu
Yeah, if you don't have any skills yet (in building sites), work on that. In time and with experience, your goal will come.

Definitely sign up for one of the pre-existing music hosting services and get your music out there. They won't offer up the design flexibility you'll ultimately want, but your music will be available. When you finally get your own site up and running, you'll then have two locations, one where people can find you easily, and one that's all your own.

It will take time Wink

JoeMusician wrote:
... Can't read music either. Does that mean I can'y play?

I certainly hope not! I can't read either Wink
Music isn't really technique, it's emotive (gross generalization).
medesignz
a friend of mine runs the blog at unsignedbandpromotion.com

lots of handy tips on there.

it may very well be a good idea to get in touch with Ian, and see if he can help you out
JoeMusician
Thank you guys again for the suggestions. I went to bandcamp like one of you suggested and put up some of my music. Band name is Joe Presley if any of you would like to check it out. These are some songs that are not fully finished, but wanted to get something up for people to hear. Any suggestions on those are also greatly appreciated. They are ones that I am finished with the guitar work and have some solos towards the end of each that I am proud of. I am recording the vocals for another song that is going up as soon as I finish. The drums are digital because I am too poor to own a drumset, but can play the drums for these. I am hoping to get a drum set soon to record them and get rid of the digital track. These are also some of my rock/metal songs. I have some songs also range from bluesy, acoustic, classical, funk, and just whatever I am feeling at the moment. They are going up soon also.
As for the building the website thing, I looked into some of the things you suggested and I have a lot on my plate. Wow! Going to have to get into learning mode!!!! But it is something that I feel I can do and with the help of awesome people like you guys giving advice on what areas that are best to start with, I get a step closer each day. Thank you, thank you.................listen and tell me what you guys think and don't be scared to let me know what areas need work. We all need a little creativity help, can't learn without the help of others. The worlds greatest musicians surely didn't learn how to be ''the worlds greatest musicians'' all by themselves.
JoeMusician
I am not claiming to be one of the ''worlds greatest musicians.'' Hope no one thought that. I am just another drop in the bucket when it comes to musicians. I just want to be the drop that stands out a little more than the rest. Kinda hard when all the drops are the same you say? A lot of drops give up and fall to the bottom, but isn't it the same as the drop that floated to the top? Nevermind, I ramble too much. I am just saying that we all need help, especially me. You guys are probably, what is he talking about?!?!
wombatrpgs
Uh no, it's understandable, but what else do you need help with...? At this point your own site probably still isn't worth the effort.
JoeMusician
I've come to realize this now. Its seems my best bet is to keep working on my music and stick with what I love. At this point, I'm the only one that can help me now. I just live in the middle of nowhere and want to play music so bad. Trying to move to a larger city where musicians are more abundant. Too poor. Crappy equipment. Crappy transportation. Crappy job. Poor from the start. First guitar was two different guitars pieced together. Still own a crappy guitar and amp. Had a nice guitar and someone stole it. Worked a long time to pay for that and poof, an a-hole decides he doesn't have to work to get what he wants. Hard to get in a good quality band when you don't have good equipment. You can be the baddest race car driver, but without a race car, you can't race. I wasn't lucky enough to have rich parents either. Wasn't lucky enough to have parents. Foster a-holes that just wanted out social security checks. Why do you think I turned to music. Music saved my life several times. Not from killing myself, but from lifes b.s. Point is, I only know music and there is nothing here to let me share that. Did anyone listen to the song I have up? If so, how was it? Is anyone having a hard time finding it? I am working on the vocals for one right now to go up and will post it when I'm finished. I'm just hoping for comments and suggestions about my music at this point and to share it with you guys or anyone.
JoeMusician
Have up some more songs. Will have at least one more tomorrow with vocals on it. Still no one will listen. Guess you guys can't find it. Bandcamp, Joe Presley. Give me a listen and give honest comments.
JoeMusician
joepresley.bandcamp.com...............that's the address for my music. Maybe you guys have some ideas or pointers on things I need to work on. That is what I need help with. Or maybe someone will read this and listen to my music and say "I know whoever looking for someone just like him." Wishful thinking never hurt anyone. I think.
medesignz
I would totally recommend that you make a site, purely because you need to start gathering email addresses for mailing purposes as soon as possible.
JoeMusician
Wow. In one week I've sent 50 people the address to check out my music and not one person has even attempted to listen to my music. Not to mention posting it on here. What has the world come to when no one will give you a chance? Guess it has to be spoonfed by the media before anyone will partake. Typical. Simple things occupy simple minds.
wombatrpgs
Spamming people isn't overly helpful. And the whole "I can't succeed because my audience is stupid" mentality won't get you far either.
medesignz
JoeMusician wrote:
Wow. In one week I've sent 50 people the address to check out my music and not one person has even attempted to listen to my music. Not to mention posting it on here. What has the world come to when no one will give you a chance? Guess it has to be spoonfed by the media before anyone will partake. Typical. Simple things occupy simple minds.

Think up other ways to get people to check out your music other than telling people to check out your music.

A song writer should be creative... Use and utilise your imagination to get people to follow you.

1 Suggestion... Try setting up a twitter account and use it to start talking about artists you like... You should draw attention from similarly minded people and they will possibly want to know what you are like. If not, dont hate on them for it.
Ankhanu
JoeMusician wrote:

Oh damn man, bad form… almost makes me feel like a heel for having already gone to the site. Crying over your situation is not the way to make people develop interest in you, and pity won't win you fans.
You need to make a connection with people if they're going to be interested, that goes for the music as well as how you interact with them outside of the music.

Having listened to the tracks, I've gotta say they sound pretty solid for amateur recordings. The recording quality is definitely listenable, and the mix is pretty solid. The bass may be a smidge high in the mix but only very marginally so… if I were trying to learn the songs to be your bassist the level would be perfect for following along.

Personally, I don't connect with your sound/genre… though I may have in my youth. I'm just past my metal-inspired rock days. Outside of that, the instruments are well played and the basic writing seems solid.
I don't find the songs particularly original. I mean, yeah, they are original compositions, but they're within expected frames, ya know? Not that I can really say anything there, I've never produced anything particularly original myself Razz If you want to really stand out, you're going to have develop a solid personal style, something that when someone hears a part of your song they think "Oh yeah, that's gotta be Joe!"
In the same vein, I would suggest trying to curb the tendency in Free to dip and raise vocal pitch; or practice the hell out of it so that it's done really well. This is a vocal method that is done by a lot of people, and it's really hard to get right, and usually sounds contrived. This isn't limited to amateurs, the pros screw it up hardcore too.

Overall, solid stuff. You're definitely a better musician than I am. Keep plugging away. Don't lament your situations, harness them… there is no real success without strife to build it. Artistry practically requires hardship and struggle… and being out in the middle of nowhere certainly adds to it… but there have been incredible success stories from people from the middle of nowhere, they're just able to relate their story in a way that others can see themselves in their music.
JoeMusician
That's what I'm talking about. You gave some incredible advice. I'm wanting more advice on things like that. Thank you for your time, patience, listening to my music, and letting me know areas I need to work on. And you're right, music is old. Trying to get a better feel on what honest people like you want. I'm going to get started writng new material, because that stuff is old. I need

You should start right away writing your owm material. You seem very intelligent and down to earth. Those are the most creative composers of music!

And I apologize if it seemed like I was whining. Just blown away that no one was interested. Wasn't asking for money or material things, just to check out my diddles! And I sent messages, not spam, to friends that I know. Not one person checked it out. That would blow even you away!!!! You would think friends of all people would be curious at what you sound like, right? That's all I was saying.
JoeMusician
Oh, I tried writng more creative music outside the frame. Well, no one likes music that is hard to play and you can't bob your head to it. Only other musicians seem to be interested in it. And that sucks because I do love more creative and complex music. I never figured out why people don't see those as the musicians that should be winning awards. Most bands winning awards play pretty simple music while millions of great musicians are being rejected by bands like them because their style is "too complicated." I guess if I was at a party trying to dance and they started playing some complicated music I would look a little strange trying to dance to it. I guess it kinda makes sense. Hard to relax your sole to a 90 mile an hour song that you can't hardly follow. Humans tend to like more simple things. I know I do. I tried to write simple songs on that album because of that. It was my first stab at trying to write radio friendly music.

But I do like what you said about finding a style so when people hear me, they know its me. Guess I always thought I had my own sound. That's why I'm interested in what other peolpe think. Going to try and find what makes my style and build around that while keeping it to where others can relate. Good idea brother. You should give advice for a living.
Ankhanu
JoeMusician wrote:
Trying to get a better feel on what honest people like you want.

This is exactly what you should not do Wink
Write for you, and write honestly. If you don't people will see right through what you're doing. None of us are really unique, there are thousands of others who have similar enough experiences to us that there are people out there to relate to your experience, your thoughts, your feelings.
Unless you're writing for a client who has specific needs, write what has meaning for you.

JoeMusician wrote:
You should start right away writing your owm material. You seem very intelligent and down to earth. Those are the most creative composers of music!

I'm not much of a writer. I forget riffs relatively quickly and don't have really solid grasp of proper construction. I'm fine writing parts of songs, but not the whole song. I've instructed other band members what to do to build something up, but I've never really written anything. Guess it's just not my thing; my music is momentary.

JoeMusician wrote:
And I apologize if it seemed like I was whining. Just blown away that no one was interested. Wasn't asking for money or material things, just to check out my diddles! And I sent messages, not spam, to friends that I know. Not one person checked it out. That would blow even you away!!!! You would think friends of all people would be curious at what you sound like, right? That's all I was saying.

Yeah, I've played too many gigs to only the bar staff and other bands on the bill to have romantic notions about friends' interest in friends' music or other artistic endeavors Razz My past two bands I haven't had any friends (other than my wife or other band members' significant others) come to see us play. It's disheartening, but, that's life Razz
People have to make the time/effort to listen to new music, even when it's really easy to get to. It's sad how hard it is to motivate people, but, again, that's the reality of things. Just gotta keep plugging away and remember why you love it.
JoeMusician
I too have played those same type of bar gigs and even some larger venues. Only weekdays at the larger venues because no one knew us. I'm just glad the bartender was there or we would've been playing for ourselves! I still had fun. The lights were killer! A little blinding, but killer! But they say you have to crawl before you walk. I use it as practice with stage sound and the feel of a stage. One of my biggest problems would have to be musicians. Hard to find reliable and good ones. Most want the rock star overnight crap and are not in it because they love the music. I want so bad to have a group of incredible musicians to create and play with. Even if it's for the bartenders again! I'll find them if I keep looking.

I've been thinking, could I still find musicians out there and send our ideas back and forth? I mean recording and playing live with each other over the internet? I know I sound stupid for asking, but is that possible? If so, where do I sign up? Assuming the scenario is when we live too far from each other to play together. And with a few demos and promotion if we are good enough, it could probably help pay to play some shows in a few locations. Providing there are multiple shows in a general location. Sounded good in my head.
Ankhanu
Oh yeah, people do correspondence collaboration all the time. Before the internet, it took longer, as everything had to go via the mail system, but computer recording and the internet make the task much easier. The trick is finding people to work with. There are a few examples of bands that came together in this way.

The drummer in my current band lives a 12hr ferry ride away... we don't see him often Razz The guitar player/vocalist, who writes our songs, will often do a basement recording of what he's working on, and send it off to the drummer to work something into. We've been writing songs, but haven't been in the same room since August Razz

If you're interested in this sort of online collaboration, I suggest trying to find a musiccentric messageboard or other online community. That's where you'll come across some people with similar interests and intents. The only music messageboards I use are instrument based, rather than broader music based, so I can't really help you finding good ones.
SonLight
JoeMusician wrote:
joepresley.bandcamp.com...............that's the address for my music. Maybe you guys have some ideas or pointers on things I need to work on. That is what I need help with. Or maybe someone will read this and listen to my music and say "I know whoever looking for someone just like him." Wishful thinking never hurt anyone. I think.

I would love to listen to your music. I can't find you on bandcamp, unfortunately. The only "presley" entries google seems to know about are clownvis and devil. Perhaps you haven't made your entry public yet?

After taking care of the first thing -- making sure you can be found at a reasonable url on bandcamp -- you probably should put the url in your signature here, then think about starting a very simple site on frihost. I wish you well, and I hope you enjoy your relationship with frihost.
standready
SonLight wrote:
I would love to listen to your music. I can't find you on bandcamp, unfortunately. The only "presley" entries google seems to know about are clownvis and devil.

Same here! I am waiting!
JoeMusician
Hmmm......I thought you could just put www.joepresley.bandcamp.com and it would pull it up. I just looked the site over and over and that's what it says my address is. Am I missing something? I know what your talking about, because I feared that it would be hard to find. It gave me a google choice and I never could locate myself through that. Then I finally found where it said my domain name was www.joepresley.bandcamp.com. I put that in and it went straight there. I also looked for where I can make it public like you said and couldn't find anything relating to that.

There's a post from Ankhanu where he found it. Maybe he can shed some light on what we are missing here.
JoeMusician
Try this. http://joepresley.bandcamp.com/ This should take you there. I also am writing new material that is of a different style. I am going to dig through my recordings and post up some of the other types of music that I play when I can find the time. I love to play anything that can be played. Mmmmm......tasty music............
Ankhanu
Those links work fine.

Seriously guys, he typed the URL several posts back... it wasn't a hot link, sure, but ya just had to copy/paste (or even type it) into the address bar. Geez Razz
JoeMusician
Ok, so I dug through a couple of recordings and found these. Home and Addicted to the Devil's Smile. Home was recorded by a friend in his studio. He also played drums on this one. Another friend played bass on this one and did an awesome job! This is usually the one people like. It's the most simple song I have to play to! Addicted to the Devil's Smile has some goofy vocals on it. I'm not a very good vocalist, so..... But it does have some riffs that I always thought would go good in a song. Just haven't figured it out yet. I'm still digging out old recordings while I'm working on new ones. Let me know what you guys think of those posted up!
medesignz
Hows things going Joe... Are you getting the responses you were after?
liljp617
JoeMusician wrote:
I've been thinking, could I still find musicians out there and send our ideas back and forth? I mean recording and playing live with each other over the internet? I know I sound stupid for asking, but is that possible? If so, where do I sign up? Assuming the scenario is when we live too far from each other to play together. And with a few demos and promotion if we are good enough, it could probably help pay to play some shows in a few locations. Providing there are multiple shows in a general location. Sounded good in my head.

Online collaboration is pretty popular these days. As was said, message boards are a good place to start. Also just putting your stuff on Youtube will get you some offers if you're good. I'm not sure how easy it is to play live, but there is software out there for that.

Online collaboration isn't all that different from how a lot of bands record these days anyway. It's kind of rare for bands to have all members in the studio at the same time. It's usually counterproductive to have 4+ members in the studio at once trying to figure their parts out, so most bands don't record that way. The guitarists will go in and lay down their tracks, then the drummer comes in at a different time and puts down his tracks, then the vocalist does his thing. Most bands don't walk in the studio and record live all at once...

A lot of members in bands obviously have families or don't even live in the same city with each other, so it's not like they spend all their time together as a band. They tend to have their individual schedules and they go in the studio when they can...that usually means the whole band is rarely going to be recording together.
medesignz
What about sites like Last.fm? They allow people to discover new music, and perhaps you can associate yourself with some similar like minded artists?
JoeMusician
Thank you for asking. Not as many plays as I hoped, but people are listening. It's harder than I thought to get in the music scene via the internet. But I am getting honest responses and that's what I'm looking for. Gotta update my sound! Also, I suck as a vocalist! I knew that though. I'm not very good at writing lyrics or making up vocal patterns. I just started singing a bout two years ago, never felt comfortable singing. Just decided to give it a whirl. Hoping to meet someone to take that position! I actually wrote and recorded the lyrics for the first two songs right before I posted them up. Thought maybe I could make them sound better, but didn't do a very good job. But it was fun and a good learning experience.
Ankhanu
yeah, it's really hard to get your music noticed through any medium. Technology and the internet has made it so cheap and easy to record/create music and to distribute it... this is both freakin' awesome and a detriment. Because it's so easy and cheap, lots of people do it. Because lots of people can do it, there's too much material for people to navigate... I have no idea how to use this machine, that is the internet, to effectively market yourself; it's already saturated. At the same time, not having yourself available online is suicide Razz
JoeMusician
I've just finished recording new vocals and a guitar solo for the song Free. I also tried to reduce the bass like you had mentioned, but found that I've lost the original recordings for that one. I only have the unmixed track that has no vocals or guitar solo. No bass track. Arg. I did the best I could with the track I have. Tell me what you guys think about the new way I've done the song. I think I did a better job than before making it sound like me. You had given advice telling me to think about when people hear me, they know it's me. I'm trying to use that also in the new way I've done the song. Thank you for that advice by the way...................................................

I have not had any luck with finding other people out there yet. Eventually I'll find someone with the same interest and love for music. I'm still looking at all the sites and signing up for them. Also I have been trying to make sure I have some music together to post up on these sites. Been real busy trying to make money. Wish I had more time to invest in what I love the most, but money needs me. One day I'll have the loot and then I'll play my little heart out everywhere!!!! I hope.
medesignz
How old are you Joe?
JoeMusician
Just turned 32, Sad , but look 22! Cool Been playing since I was 11. Never stopped. Love it. I've tried out for Limp Biscuit (lame) and won 2nd place in Guitarmageddon in Dallas, 2002 . Only time I lived in a city. Didn't live there very long. Moved back to nowhere for a job that never was and now I can't get out! I actually saved up all my money and tried to moved to Dallas last year. A "friend" said he had a job for me in Dallas, but blew me off when I arrived. Turns out he was trying to get me in a hard spot to buy all my stuff dirt cheap. Music equipment and electronics, I've collected a few things over time. He didn't get anything. After that, I lived in a van (the trailer 18 wheelers pull around, not a vehicle) for 3 months before I could get a place. Sucked. He's not on my friend list anymore. Lol! I've been trying to get past crap like that for years. A-holes taking advantage of people in hard times. No degrees or schooling, so I have no education according to the world. All I want to do is play freaking music!!!!! Arg!
Ankhanu
Things don't happen fast with music projects... it's the nature of dealing with musicians Wink
Also, you haven't been working long to make contacts and build relationships with the various music communities out there... as people get to know you as a person/musician rather than just a new anonymous screenname, it will be easier to find people who are interested in collaborating. Not everyone is willing to invest their time into a project with someone who is an unknown entity (in terms of reliability, are you gonna stick around, are you personable, etc). It'll take time and effort to build those friendships.

Interestingly, I'm 32 as well Razz
medesignz
Things can happen fast in the music industry, and it takes just the right people to find your stuff for it to take off.

With the internet your target audience is vast, and you can define who you want to approach.

What you have to do is describe who you think your "ideal fan" would be and then you work out the places on the net that those people would hang out.
JoeMusician
I've been searching, I guess not in the right places. Seems to be billions of people posting up music and looking for other musicians. Majority are rap or metal. A lot of people looking for the '' rock star over night'' deal. No one wanting to work for it. The ones that do want to work for it want you to have things to look a little more professional than I look before they will consider you. So I'm trying to get more music up so that when I do locate someone or something, I have something to present. Also a bio or something letting people know about myself. Trying to get pictures of myself that are presentable and professional looking. What I have so far puts me in the category of those who don't want to work for. That's the way it looks to everyone. So not only am I trying to get myself out there, I'm trying to get things together so people see that I work hard at it and its what I love. Basically like a job. People don't want to hire someone that gives the first impression that they are lazy. So while I am still putting my music out there, I am also looking at better ways to present myself so that I don't appear as the other billion do. I've been very busy writng new material, searching for other musicians, searching for the proper way to aproach what I'm trying to do, and just meeting helpfult people like you guys. Let's just say there is not enough time in the day!!!! So much to do, so little time to do it in.
Ankhanu
Classic Catch 22, unfortunately.
It's a tough business, that's for sure... and it's tough business before you even reach the point of doing "business" Razz

Good luck, man.
JoeMusician
Well, I'm going to play music regardless of what happens. Its what I love.
wombatrpgs
JoeMusician wrote:
Well, I'm going to play music regardless of what happens. Its what I love.

That's a good philosophy, I guess.
medesignz
Do you want to be able to live off your music, Joe?
ProwerBot
Ankhanu wrote:
This is pretty much where I was going with my reply. MySpace is still a viable option as well.

MySpace? Haha ew. Does anyone even use that site anymore? Even for music that site has died off....
Ankhanu
ProwerBot wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

MySpace? Haha ew. Does anyone even use that site anymore? Even for music that site has died off....

Yeah, it's still used. It's not used as much, but definitely still used.
JoeMusician
I would def like to live off of playing music. But, can't seem to find a way. For when meDesigns asked if I wanted to live off of my music. Its something that I enjoy a lot and feel like I'm pretty good at it.
wombatrpgs
JoeMusician wrote:
I would def like to live off of playing music. But, can't seem to find a way. For when meDesigns asked if I wanted to live off of my music. Its something that I enjoy a lot and feel like I'm pretty good at it.

There are plenty of people who are good at their hobbies and don't make a living off of them. It is possible to just keep music as a side project and do something else...
Navigator
wombatrpgs wrote:

+1
JoeMusician
I am doing music as a side or just a hobby. Just love to play it a lot, and one can always be hopeful. Between making money and avoiding a-holes, there's no time for music. The more I research it, the more I find that people who make it are either in the right place at the right time, or they have money to get themselves out there to the right place and right time. I don't associate with a lot of people because I've found most people will screw you to get what they want. Therefore the "right place and right time" is pretty much out. Been screwed too many times and now I'm gunshy. As for the money, well I don't have it and the future looks to be a struggle to stay afloat. So, hobby is looking like my future for music. But as long as I get to play, I'm happy. Just wanted people to appreciate my music and just music in general. Guess you have to just be happy with what you have. So keep listening to music guys! And if you play, keep playing! Even if the world can't hear you!
medesignz
JoeMusician wrote:
I am doing music as a side or just a hobby. Just love to play it a lot, and one can always be hopeful. Between making money and avoiding a-holes, there's no time for music. The more I research it, the more I find that people who make it are either in the right place at the right time, or they have money to get themselves out there to the right place and right time. I don't associate with a lot of people because I've found most people will screw you to get what they want. Therefore the "right place and right time" is pretty much out. Been screwed too many times and now I'm gunshy. As for the money, well I don't have it and the future looks to be a struggle to stay afloat. So, hobby is looking like my future for music. But as long as I get to play, I'm happy. Just wanted people to appreciate my music and just music in general. Guess you have to just be happy with what you have. So keep listening to music guys! And if you play, keep playing! Even if the world can't hear you!

They say in order for people to trust you, you first have to trust people.

If you are forever to be shielding yourself, you will always be left behind.

Do not think that everyone is out to kick you, because we're not all b*stards.
chivalry11
Seems you are in a similar situation to me.

Basically 101 of how to build a website.

First of all start with Createthenet's excellent series of webdesign tutorials.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=DED5C745A1F3D60A

He uses Dreamweaver CS5 to get his web design's into action.
Download the free trial here:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver

Basically guides you step by step to creating a website - using his framework.
Plenty of great examples of website designs which he dissects meticulously and explains how to do it on your own computer.

After a month of following his various free tutorials on youtube, I was able to produce my own
http://www.eagerseyre.com.

Not bad for a rookie Very Happy
medesignz
Oooh... Are you talking about a site design concept? I am really into this...
SonLight
JoeMusician wrote:
I am doing music as a side or just a hobby. Just love to play it a lot, and one can always be hopeful. Between making money and avoiding a-holes, there's no time for music.

I definitely agree that if you try up front to treat music as a business and take the attitude that you won't let anyone "steal" your music, you won't have much fun playing and you probably won't be creative enough to make the right music to have a chance at commercial success anyway.

I do think you should make a reasonable effort to make a portion of your music available to all for free, and at least set yourself up so there is a chance you can eventually make money. I know that in book publishing there are places like lulu which give you a chance to sell even in small volume. I would assume if you have some music out there for free and people do like it, you could also sell some on itunes or whatever and get some financial return.

There are no guarantees you would do well, but if you're out there selling some and giving some away, there is always the chance that enough people would like it and buy some that you could eventually make a substantial sum. Just don't count on it, and be happy with whatever you get without becoming obsessed with it as a business.