FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet Bandwidth

riyadh
My internet line runs on a 33.6 kbps line still. It is good enough but when it comes to downloading stuff, it's pretty annoying. Few weeks back I optimized it for greater speed with TuneUp Utilities but it's still not enough. I was thinking if anyone can tell me a way of giving more banwidth to my downloads - 10 to 20 KB/s will be fine.
babumuchhala
N not possible at all.

From what i read u r using a dial up connection and it has a theoretically max speed of 56kbps and thatsa max download speed of 7 Kb/sec. But thats next to immpossible in real world. Getting a dwl speed of say 5 KBps is very good.

You can only increase ur speeds with broadband lines i.e those cable & dsl stuff. So if u can get hold of a good line do that.
billgertz
I agree with babumuchhala.. are you using a dial up connection? switch to DSL.
Helios
Why DSL?

What's so bad with a cable connection(for example T1)?
babumuchhala
donno wats wrong with DSL Wink

i use a LAN based net and also a one through copper wire. DSL is just an eg i gave

But idoubt if bband is that affordable in a Country like Bangladesh atleast for consumers.
riyadh
I know it is better to switch to DSL but that technology is still not availiable in Bangladesh and is not going to be availiable until next year. Until then people use the so called 'broadband' but i don want to waste my money. So for now if you have any alternative.
babumuchhala
DSL will be even more costlier. Especially when it starts. When it was launched in india it had an installation cost of Rs 10000/- and monthly outgo of 5000/- And DSL hasnt come down yet.

Your so called broadband is a lot better option and prices will always come down with time.

Here if one stays in a buiding then the get a little faster connection and using a router divide it among the building houses using WiFi or cable depending on whats cost effective. This does reduce monthly outgo of everyone and since the deal is done with the Society the ISP cannot challange what u have done since its not under their jurisdiction. Though u will have to manage the network which will hardly go out since its in a secured area of ur building premices, unless some vistior or insider plays with the wiring & installation.
corey
Are you sure that your line is 33.6? Usually, if an ISP delivers service, its either 28.8 or 56k. If you're at 33.6, it may be your modem and you may be able to speed up to 56k. Could that be?
thefilingcabinet
Mine goes at 33.6kbps as well though it is stated 56.6. I use a long bit of cable between my living room and office. If you have this setup that would probably explain it. If you have a spare modem try using it. Failing that I believe you can get sattelite broadband anywhere in the world but it could be expensive.
xorcist
How much do you pay for your dialup and where do you live? I can proberly find something that's cheaper then you pay or around the same price.
dan751
High-speed is gradually getting cheaper. You can get high-speed lite for about the same price as dial-up (approx $19.99 CAD).Wink
izcool
I've had DSL for over a year and there's nothing really wrong with it. We have SBC Yahoo! DSL for about $30.00 a month. I think I seen something on TV now that they're offering it for $15.00 a month for the first 12 months. What's nice about SBC Yahoo! DSL is that you can run your own webserver at home from it, whereas with Comcast, you can't. DSL is intended for businesses and Comcast is for home primarily.

I've had AT&T @Home (now Comcast Cable) a few years before (before DSL when I moved out to this new house), they've been pretty good, but it was a lot more, about $50.00 a month. I don't know the pricing on their services right now, but I think it's the same. Comcast cable is a lot faster than DSL, but DSL does just fine for my usage. I was talking with the Comcast guy when he was fixing our Digital Cable problem, he seen one of our computers online and said that we're not using their services. He said that it's good we weren't, as their internet out here is a lot slower than how it is in the city (around me, Chicago), since it's still new in this area. We have a large-screen TV in our living room, and if we did switch to Comcast, we would be getting a slower connection on account of that, as the big-screen TV sucks so much from the cable line. He said that if we hooked up another TV in this house that the cable lines wouldn't be able to handle it. Rolling Eyes

We were considering on getting satellite internet, but we decided against it because I was talking with a few people who specialize in networking online and didn't recommend it. They said that it has decent download speed but the upload speed is terrible.

It's your choice. That's from my experiences.

- Mike.
bbjai20
There are many dependancies when u talk about the speed of internet connection.

Normal users think when they get 100Mbps for DSL = 100Mbps on 512Kbps connection. In facts, average 50Kbps to get in a single data transfer connection from this example.

To achieve MAX SPEED of data transfer connection is only to happen when single PC to PC connection at home. Cool
To achieve MAX SPEED of data transfer connection is only to happen when single PC to PC connection at home

I HAVE DSL WITH 5 COMPUTERS
THE AVERAGE SPEED IS 50 KBP
Prabhu Raj
riyadh wrote:
My internet line runs on a 33.6 kbps line still. It is good enough but when it comes to downloading stuff, it's pretty annoying. Few weeks back I optimized it for greater speed with TuneUp Utilities but it's still not enough. I was thinking if anyone can tell me a way of giving more banwidth to my downloads - 10 to 20 KB/s will be fine.

Hi Since you are using a 33.6 Kbps the maximum speed at which you can download is 4.2 KBps. Yes it is possible to increase that speed using the same connection. but i dont know if you can acheive 10 to 20 KBps.

You should try www.onspeed.com you go to their site and see the details on how they perform. I beleive onspeed should atleast improve your download speed by 2 times. I really havent used onspeed but my friends told me it really works.

Try it and if it really works for you post it here so that others can also be benefited by this information.
gh0stface
There are both pros and cons to DSL and Cable connection.

In order for DSL to be most efficient, you have tend to be closer to the CO(central office). As the farther away you are, the speed tends to drops. The upload speed and download speed for DSL tends to be slower then Cable connection too.

Cable connection tends to be pretty good. However if there are a lot of people in your neighborhood who also uses cable internet connection, your speeds will also tend to drop since all the bandwidth is then being split amongst your fellow neighbors.

Price is also a huge factor when choosing broadband access. DSL tends to be the cheaper of the two, however depending on who you get it through, it's usually about 10-20 dollar price difference.
mark
It is your service provider who has limited the speed. Increasing the speed would be difficult. However, if you have XP, you can try and disabling some options which require internet connection. Such programs run in the background and you are not aware of it. That can possibly slow down the connection. Also, if you have internet security, that might slow down the net cause it is always downloading updates.

Further, I seriously recommend on getting broadband connection. It is way better than dial-up.
gonzo
riyadh wrote:
It is good enough

You generally only get what you pay for. The web was NOT designed for dialup modem users.

Quote:
I optimized it for greater speed with TuneUp Utilities but

but you learned how nearly pointless "optimization" is.

Quote:
it's still not enough.

how much are you willing to spend?