FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Violence on TV vs my body's reaction?

saratdear
This is something I've had for years..if I see someone getting injured in films etc. my body would automatically clutch that part. Now that seemed normal enough to me, what seemed odd was that my hand would go to the opposite side; i.e if someone got injured in the right hand, I would clutch my left hand in that place. If someone got cut in the left side of the neck, my hand would go to the right side, etc.

Now this is not something I'm not particularly upset about or anything..just curious on the opposite side thing. Perhaps this has got something to do with the left brain-right brain thing?

I've not found a way to test this in real life. Thankfully, I've not got a chance to see real life violence.

And by the way..please no comments like stop watching violent movies. Smile

Sarat
emanuel2
either you a very sensitive and empathetic or you have psychic powers
D'Artagnan
i get the empathy thing, it's not really pain, but when i see someone getting stabbed or i see someone falling or even if i see an embarassing scene, i feel like its me there, my muscles will contract in the area or i'll make an pain or embarrased expression... although i never noticed that it's "fliped", are you sure its always in the opposite side? maybe you always use your right side?
saratdear
D'Artagnan wrote:
i get the empathy thing, it's not really pain, but when i see someone getting stabbed or i see someone falling or even if i see an embarassing scene, i feel like its me there, my muscles will contract in the area or i'll make an pain or embarrased expression... although i never noticed that it's "fliped", are you sure its always in the opposite side? maybe you always use your right side?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's flipped. But yes, when you think about it, it could be a selective memory bias - I could be remembering all the times I got it flipped and forgetting the others.
marea
Should i say it paranormal activity ....lloz, look everybody is not strong enough to watch those movies, the things happening to you is obvious, everybody does that, well i will say stop watching those movies or stop thinking that the same happening to you as on Screen.take care
deanhills
Ever since I've been a kid my spontaneous reaction would be to close my ears, somehow when the threatening music was dimmed, I could tolerate it much better. Being a grown up I progressed to adjusting the volume and fast forwarding the gruesome parts. I don't fast forward when Steven Seagall is breaking bones of the baddies however, I love watching those Twisted Evil

Movies have become so explicit these days, especially with the forensic type who dunnit murder types, where they show how the injury penetrates the body. I don't mind those except when I'm having my dinner.