FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


How come Google Chrome get to version 9 so quickly?





jmlworld
The initial release of Google Chrome was late 2008 (November, probably) and it's current stable release is version 9.0 when version 10 is in Beta and version 11 is in development stage.

So how did they get to 9.0 so quickly? Are they misleading people?

Firefox was around since the beginning of the last decade and their current stable release is v3.6.

Google is playing mid games here.
medesignz
from what I can gather, google chrome updates itself using its own software. it is very different to what came out in the beginning. i do not think that its a case of google misleading people.
jmlworld
medesignz wrote:
from what I can gather, google chrome updates itself using its own software. it is very different to what came out in the beginning. i do not think that its a case of google misleading people.


Wait... Firefox auto updates itself too. No excuses here.
emanuel2
jmlworld wrote:
medesignz wrote:
from what I can gather, google chrome updates itself using its own software. it is very different to what came out in the beginning. i do not think that its a case of google misleading people.


Wait... Firefox auto updates itself too. No excuses here.

No it just updates itself "within" a version (e.g. from 3.0 to3.9). If you have version 2 and you want version 3, you have to download it. At least it was in my case so..

BTW, rumors are that chromes 10 java script should be again 64% faster (in certain cases)
jmlworld
emanuel2 wrote:
jmlworld wrote:
medesignz wrote:
from what I can gather, google chrome updates itself using its own software. it is very different to what came out in the beginning. i do not think that its a case of google misleading people.


Wait... Firefox auto updates itself too. No excuses here.

No it just updates itself "within" a version (e.g. from 3.0 to3.9). If you have version 2 and you want version 3, you have to download it. At least it was in my case so..


Because in version 2, Firefox didn't have the auto-update feature. When Firefox4 arrives in this year, it'll update itself in the background and in a sudden, you'll wake up and see a different Firefox Wink

emanuel2 wrote:
BTW, rumors are that chromes 10 java script should be again 64% faster (in certain cases)


That's so nice from Google, but I'm curious to know how they'll implement this feature!
kacsababa
The auto update just the smaller part of the reason.

Chrome has a different development cycle, they pushing out updates every 6 weeks, even not really defined features and they changing major version numbers really often too.
Mozilla plans to change they development cycle too and they plan to change major versions more often after FF4, they plan to release Firefox 7 in 2011 too.

This kind of development has bad sides too - beside the rapid version number increase I think will look silly - and mainly for webdevs it will cause a lot of headaches after a while.
Peterssidan
Version number is just a number so that you can distinguish older versions from newer versions. The number itself might have different meaning for different software and comparing version number for different software is not meaningful.
xevo
Maybe it's just me but I find Chrome still very rudimentary and basic (for a browser that is already at "9") - "options" doesn't give you that much to change (compare to FF or Opera)
I don't even see ability to choose how many days of history they will be storing...?
I think Opera have the best (most comprehensive) options out of the box.
On the other hand they piss me off since they ignore one bug that made me switch to FF (forgetting of visited links)

All in all I don't see myself ever using Chrome.
emanuel2
jmlworld wrote:
Because in version 2, Firefox didn't have the auto-update feature. When Firefox4 arrives in this year, it'll update itself in the background and in a sudden, you'll wake up and see a different Firefox

Oh of course forgot about that Embarassed


xevo wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I find Chrome still very rudimentary and basic (for a browser that is already at "9") .

yeah that is because it is "lightweight" instead of firefox which is really heavyweight. That means in chrome there are less things you have care about ... if you want it or not. So there are also far less customizing options.

It has is advantages as well as disadvantages (in my point of view). Thats why I ended up with two primary browser (firefox and chrome). Chrome for fast internet access/surfing and on smaller monitors. Firefox for the rest.
medesignz
I like to develop web designs using the chrome webkit Very Happy
rayxzero
It is quickly get on version 9 maybe because of bug fixes, new gui design, new features and addon.
snowboardalliance
Peterssidan wrote:
Version number is just a number so that you can distinguish older versions from newer versions. The number itself might have different meaning for different software and comparing version number for different software is not meaningful.


kacsaba wrote:
Chrome has a different development cycle, they pushing out updates every 6 weeks, even not really defined features and they changing major version numbers really often too.
Mozilla plans to change they development cycle too and they plan to change major versions more often after FF4, they plan to release Firefox 7 in 2011 too.

This kind of development has bad sides too - beside the rapid version number increase I think will look silly - and mainly for webdevs it will cause a lot of headaches after a while.


Of course that makes sense to developers (we know that IE6 is not better/newer/faster/etc. than FF3.6), but Joe User doesn't always know/understand this. I think that is the primary reason that Mozilla is changing the Firefox version numbering (the development cycle seems to be changing in general to get new features to users sooner, I don't think it has much to do with numbering).
rockpan
now chrome's version number is later than opera only on minor version number.
but in fact, chrome 9 means 0.9 and chrome 11 means 0.11,
it is a very unripe web browser.
medesignz
rockpan wrote:
now chrome's version number is later than opera only on minor version number.
but in fact, chrome 9 means 0.9 and chrome 11 means 0.11,
it is a very unripe web browser.


how can a later version (vers11) actually be less than an earlier version (vers9)
silverdown
wow....that must update that browser nightly or something Laughing
iman
Chrome updates silently, I'm often surprised to find out a lot of new things when browsing with Chrome.
Also, it's the developers that decide how to change the version number. I don't feel like being tricked by those version numbers, because I judge not based on the version number, but on the program itself.
weableandbob
Google updates very regularly, and like others have said, silently.
medesignz
Does anyone know how to fix the preferences error on startup of chrome?
ProwerBot
I wish I could use Chrome on this computer but for some reason it tells me I need the .NET framework installed, which is very stupid because I already have it installed. I have to use the memory w***e... I mean firefox.
loyal
I don't know what people are talking about. It can do pretty much what FF can do, give or take a few things.
jmlworld
weableandbob wrote:
Google updates very regularly, and like others have said, silently.


But these updates are minor bug fixes. What number will they give to their major bug fixes if they ever decide to release an even better Chrome? Because, at the moment, FireFox is way better than Chrome in customizing point of view.
Navigator
kacsababa wrote:
they plan to release Firefox 7 in 2011 too.


Wow this almost flew me over, for real? I don't think so, but if you are please post your source.
jmlworld
Navigator wrote:
kacsababa wrote:
they plan to release Firefox 7 in 2011 too.


Wow this almost flew me over, for real? I don't think so, but if you are please post your source.


I don't believe that Firefox 7 will be released before mid 2012. Remember that we're still waiting Firefox 4.

Mozilla says that they're gonna release FF4 tomorrow (March 22, 2011).
achowles
Well anything is better than Internet Explorer's development cycle. Given that Internet Explorer still doesn't really understand what those CSS thingies are supposed to do... ugh, I despair! I shouldn't be having to use xhtml to cover - in each and every instance - things that CSS can cover once just because IE is sill so terrible it's the only browser that doesn't know its CSS from its ASS.

So yes anyway, the point is that the fact that Chrome is in constant development is a lot better than something like IE which hasn't yet received the updates it should have had a decade ago.
SultanMA
Chrome tried a new way to develop a browser, that it keep updating silently. Other browsers is thinking that the users is still hates and expect that the app keeps updating is has more bugs. Now firefox is taking the same idea.
Nameless
Software like web browsers are not like eg. video games - they are constantly in development with small incremental changes and fixes. What constitutes one more minor update or an entirely new version is a largely arbitrary decision. It wouldn't exactly surprise me if Google is abusing this to make their browser sound older and more developed than it actually is.

Auto-updating is just a convenience feature and last time I checked, optional. It has nothing to do with what the developers label their versions.
medesignz
I have to say, if it is actually possible, I am pretty much a Google Fan Boy!

As soon as the ChromeBook becomes available, I am going to do my best to get my hands on one.

Everything they do is for speed, and that does me just fine Very Happy
loyal
Nameless wrote:
Software like web browsers are not like eg. video games - they are constantly in development with small incremental changes and fixes. What constitutes one more minor update or an entirely new version is a largely arbitrary decision. It wouldn't exactly surprise me if Google is abusing this to make their browser sound older and more developed than it actually is.


This is true. Google simply want their browser to sound more credible and experienced by labelling it version 9.
Firefox may be giving up on proper software version numbers and might be copying google.
In any case, I wonder how long it'll be before google chrome is version 20...

For information on the differences between the versions of chrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Release_history
medesignz
One thing I am unsure of is are the software writers going to be able to update every version of OS at the same time?

I am still on XP, so I know newer versions of IE wont be working for me (not a big loss), but if the current trend is to be believed as the norm in the future, what is going to happen to the folks like me?
mahirh
instead of a 10 or 20 megabyte update every few months like Mozilla Firefox or a 40 megabyte update every few years like Microsoft internet explorer , Google engineers decided to use the new Courgette system they had invented which is superior and smaller to bsdiff and allows them to make hourly updates as small as 78 kilobytes in size and has allowed them to rocket toward the twelfth version in just 2 years and unlike Mozilla thanks to their simple extension and theme system , Google doesn't have to put their extension and theme developers at inconvenience and best of all , it updates even while we use it. security holes are fixed while we use it. chrome has the best update system ever - the most secure and up to the hour without any user interaction involved (read:bothering the user)
(note - bsdiff only allows them to make updates as small as 708 kilbytes)
unfortunately since Google chrome is run normally without any root access , The automatic updating is not possible for now on Linux editions of Chrome
Radar
loyal wrote:
Firefox may be giving up on proper software version numbers and might be copying google.


Firefox 5 has been described as simply a security update for Firefox 4.

Version numbers would appear to be a bit more fluid than they used to be.
Related topics
Nuevo navegador de google: Chrome
Google Chrome!
Your Experiences with Google Chrome!
Mozilla Vs Google CHrome
El nuevo navegador Google Chrome ¿Lo conoces?
Google Chrome
Google Chrome Experiments
Google Chrome supera las 2 millones de descargas
Nueva version de Google Chrome
Google anuncia su nuevo sistema operativo Google Chrome OS
Google Chrome OS
Anyone use Google Chrome?
Google Chrome + Frihost Forums txt error..
Flash Crashes in Google Chrome
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.