FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to begin with web design?

gangi
Hi!

Let's say I want my website to look pretty, what should I do first? Study css, photoshop, html5? How should I begin? Do you have some book or website to recommend about this?

Thanks!!
stressball
thank you
keyman
I would say CSS is the most important part of a website's look, but it's not just for making a site look pretty but controls the entire layout and readability.

A good reference would be http://www.css3.com/

And a wonderful site on design and "making it pretty" is CSS Zen Garden: http://www.csszengarden.com/
gangi
Thanks!! I'll start learning css3.
aslam4
gangi wrote:
Hi!

Let's say I want my website to look pretty, what should I do first? Study css, photoshop, html5? How should I begin? Do you have some book or website to recommend about this?

Thanks!!

You can study html/flash to create web pages...But if you need to create a website right now get created from the website http://www.tucktail.com/tt/website-tonight/ The site has "website Tonight" and "web design services" tools to create the website.
aslam4
Web site developing need a creativity...so that good sites are created
aslam4
Sharing information regarding website creation is interesting...
therimalaya
I think for creating and designing a site need following requirement, so it is better to learn followings,

1. CSS 3
2. HTML 5
3. Basic Flash Animation with Very basic Action Script 3
4. Some Photo Editing Concepts
5. Basic JavaScript Knowledge
6. I like J-Query, so that you can add very advance effects on your website, so it is also recommended
7. Study other websites layout, color Combination, trend and fashion on web-designing industries
8. Try to copy what other have created and add as much as creativity to it, steady one can generate genuine creation
Blix
Here is a good ebook about webdesign for you and anyone who might be interested to learn some more...

100 Questions to Ask before building a website
Navigator
Web developing is a multi-tasking enterprise, why? because unless you are solely a front end designer or a backend developer, you will need to design the interface and think about the usability of your site AND think about content and inner workings at the same time.

So if you are going to build a blog, you should be searching for the proper platform first, let just say that you liked Wordpress, you will need to begin by understanding how to theme Wordpress, which is a designers point of view - to some extent. But to add functionality you will need to have the basics of PHP and as others said, Javascript first and JQuery later (which is the best practice).

And as a side note, remember that your site will be visited by persons having different browsers, so compatibility with IE and its versions should be considered too.
Bluedoll
Navigator wrote:
Web developing is a multi-tasking enterprise, why? because unless you are solely a front end designer or a backend developer, you will need to design the interface and think about the usability of your site AND think about content and inner workings at the same time.

So if you are going to build a blog, you should be searching for the proper platform first, let just say that you liked Wordpress, you will need to begin by understanding how to theme Wordpress, which is a designers point of view - to some extent. But to add functionality you will need to have the basics of PHP and as others said, Javascript first and JQuery later (which is the best practice).

And as a side note, remember that your site will be visited by persons having different browsers, so compatibility with IE and its versions should be considered too.
I was wondering how many post were going to be made before someone suggested that content might be a consideration. Looking pretty is cool but it is only one thing and maybe not as important as content or at the very least making the pages look pretty in a way that suits the content. Does this sound reasonable? Yes good interesting topic.

akash52 wrote:

1. How are you going to store all the files? Are all the files going to be in the same folder, or directory, or if you plan on having a lot of different pictures and files, would it be better to separate the pages, files, and pictures into separate directories?
2. Are all your HTML files you are going to be stored going to be stored as .HTM or .HTML files? There is no advantage or disadvantage of going with .htm or .html; however, it is a good idea to stick with the same extension for your complete site.
3. Do you plan on having a template for the page? Are all the pages going to have the overall same look and feel?
4. How is navigation going to be handled? Do you think it would be better to have a menu on the left side of each page, maybe the bottom of the page, or at the top of the page?
san antonio dentist
Wow, super great thoughts to think about before plowing into the job. If it is alright I will keep this for reference, thanks.

Posts combined by GhostRider103
Ghost Rider103
I've been a web designer for years now. My process always starts the same.

First, logo creation. Second, the actual design and layout of the website, which is built around the logo for maximum branding. I do this in Photoshop first. This way, you know what you should be aiming towards once you are in the programming stage.

I couldn't see trying to just think of a design while doing the html/css of a website. Design comes first. Then the code.
johans
you can use joomla, wordpress, drupal, blogger and dotnetnuke-- this tools are available for download anytime. this will help you creating websites easily. These tools called CMS- content management system.. no need hardcore programming.
rocket77
Well put ghostrider103. Anybody suggest Wordpress for the person who appears to be just starting his website? Thousands of Free templates (Themes) including some of the Top proven themes like CTR. Heat Map etc..... javascript:emoticon('Smile')
Hello_World
I don't really see how you can learn CSS without having any knowledge of HTML. Basic HTML is easy.
Carmon
Hello everyone !!! I also have some information about web design which i want to share with you. There are many and Web design is used as a general term to describe any of the various tasks involved in creating a web page. It's definitely real that by excellent web developing of the web page we can mostly entice the more traffic and produce the more traffic for our web page.. Also by doing the SMO of website we can produce the more traffic for our web page...
pauline5765
You should start with the basics, Photoshop (or any image editor), HTML and CSS. If you don't really want to design your own, you can just setup a site with wordpress, joomla, drupal, etc. and then buy a theme. But if you're serious on designing your own website, then these are at least the skills you need:

Good eye for design (look on design blogs)
Photoshop (any image editor)
HTML
CSS
Javascript

Those are the minimum requirements to call yourself a real web designer.