FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Get html code from an extrenal url

gangi
Hi,

I would like to know if its possible to make a php script that downloads the html code of an external page to look for information in its code. For example, lets say I want to check the price of a product on the webpage 1 and compare it with the price of the same product in the webpage 2? Does this server allow this? Because some trial hosting webpages doesn't and i need it to make some tests.

Thanks!!
emanuel2
yes I think "fopen" works, since I use joomla plugins using this command, e.g. new feed reader.
sonam
I don't know for firhost but on last few hosting where I upload sites fefopen() and file_get_contents() functions are disabled for external links.

Sonam
fladry
yes i think the commands are disabled to prevent misuse. I dont think any free host gives you this service. You must obatin some professional hosting to acquire it. You said you will look in two websites for the price of a product. But can you code the script so that it searches in two websites with different html sources for price of a website. I think its a bit hard thing to do. You can just create the data and enter the data manually.
gangi
I try it and it didn't work, I'll try it first local when I have time to install apache on my PC. This way I'm gonna know if its my code or the server.
gangi
It was my code, I try it with file_get_contents( $url); in the server and worked!!
sonam
gangi wrote:
It was my code, I try it with file_get_contents( $url); in the server and worked!!

Lucky you, I was build new site last month and this function is not worked on my hosting (not frihost), and I must change HTTP HOST in DOCUMENT ROOT.

Sonam