FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How Does FriHost Stop Spammers

Possum
FriHost seems empty of spammers.

How is this done?

Are they a problem and I just dont realalize?
ocalhoun
Partly by using a captcha to stop automated spammers, but mainly the staff stop it.
Usually, 3 to 5 spam* posts a day are removed, not counting times such as when a spam link is removed from an otherwise good post.

It helps a lot that it usually gets reported. - That makes taking care of it much quicker and easier.

*And other types of bad posts.
Vrythramax
We KILL them! Twisted Evil
Aredon
Yeah I'd say through reporting for sure. A community of this size is usually pretty good about that sort of thing. Cool
standready
Possum wrote:

How is this done?

It is all of our responsibility to help keep the spam out of this community. Mods can't be everywhere (they just seem to be - laugh). If you see spam, click the report button.
Vrythramax
standready wrote:
Possum wrote:

How is this done?

It is all of our responsibility to help keep the spam out of this community. Mods can't be everywhere (they just seem to be - laugh). If you see spam, click the report button.

WE NEVER SLEEP! Laughing
ocalhoun
Vrythramax wrote:

WE NEVER SLEEP! Laughing

(I sleep. Don't tell the other staff though...)
the-guide
standready wrote:

I agree with "standready", I will if I found it and all of us should do that.
Also, thanks to Frihost's Mods, I think they work quickly, very fast response.

menino
Spams are irritating, and feel for you moderators.

I myself have inherited 4 anti-spam servers for mail servers, from the previous administrator who left (and now I think I know why Laughing ).
Spams are a real nuisance, and although you can train the anti-spam engine to block them out, its still takes time, and sometimes valid emails are also caught; so monitoring them is critical for a business.

Good going, though!
deanhills
menino wrote:
and sometimes valid emails are also caught; so monitoring them is critical for a business.
We have that problem at work, and all of us now have two e-mail boxes to check. One is our regular e-mail box, and then we have an anti-spam box where all the "spam" e-mails have been quarantined, which is a pain. We have to log into those separately. They had to do that as so many of our legit e-mails got to be identified by our blacklisting e-mail software as spam. Especially those received from people's iPads or iPhones. Now at least we can also see all of the e-mails that get to be identified as spam, but there are still a great number that gets through anyway.

I don't see as much spam getting through the filter system at Frihost however. Bondings must have a really great filter system in place. So Max can sleep quite comfortable during the night! Very Happy
Asap170
I think that people report posts and that to sop spammers, but I believe captcha really helps us.
fladry
Asap170 wrote:
I think that people report posts and that to sop spammers, but I believe captcha really helps us.

Captcha may stop bots from posting in frihost. But i dont think thats the problem. You can stop people from advertising their products(in wrong way) by using a captcha anyway.