FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Asus Eee Slate

eday2010
Is anyone else interested in the Asus Eee Slate? I, for one, am in love with it and want to get one. It makes the iPad look like a crippled vagrant. a nice and large 12.1 inch screen, and proper computer components (Intel core i5, 2gb or 4gb or RAM, depending on which one you get). And it runs Windows 7, which means you can use it as an actual computer instead of just a toy (like the iPad). Basically it's a powerful laptop without the keyboard, and comes with a digitizer stylus. I love the fact that it has a stylus you can use because it means you can use this thing as a real graphics tablet, which is what I want one of these for as well as a means of reading magazines in PDF and CBR format.
FunDa
eday2010 wrote:
Is anyone else interested in the Asus Eee Slate? I, for one, am in love with it and want to get one. It makes the iPad look like a crippled vagrant. a nice and large 12.1 inch screen, and proper computer components (Intel core i5, 2gb or 4gb or RAM, depending on which one you get). And it runs Windows 7, which means you can use it as an actual computer instead of just a toy (like the iPad). Basically it's a powerful laptop without the keyboard, and comes with a digitizer stylus. I love the fact that it has a stylus you can use because it means you can use this thing as a real graphics tablet, which is what I want one of these for as well as a means of reading magazines in PDF and CBR format.

I am interested in the Notion Ink Adam tablet.

It runs Android - so it doesn't have all the software possible with windows. But it is better than the iPad which is like a toy.

iPad doesn't have many features at all. Most of the sales is because of the brand name of Apple.

Asus Eee Slate looks good. I am looking at the specifications and cost and this seems to be better than investing in a glorified phone tablet.
menino
Wow, the Eee slate looks good.

I always knew that this is the era of tablets.

Also don't forget the Galaxy Tab, which runs Android, I think.
Ankhanu
All these comparisons to iPad... it's ridiculous. That's like comparing the performance of a server to a laptop; they're different formats with different uses; they can't properly be compared. iPad is NOT a tablet. As handy as an Apple tablet would be, iPad does not fit the bill, nor was it designed to do so. It is a useful device (if you're not a closed-minded Apple hater and actually look at it objectively), but it's not a real computer Razz

The Eee tablet looks pretty nice. Running a full OS seems pretty key for a tablet system, imo; an Android based tablet would not have the power to be properly functional. Not sure I care for it running Windows, I think a good flavour of Linux would be a better choice... but the "market" likes Microsoft, so there it is. With its specs, a lighter than Windows Linux OS would be awesome.
emanuel2
The Asus Eee Slate seems to be really nice, but i am really fine with my notebook Smile
I am not really that trendy that I need such touch tablet devices or touch tablet "like" devices
Ankhanu
It's nothing to do with being "trendy", people have been using tablets for about a decade... they just haven't been great and have been expensive. They're very useful for graphic designers, artists, architects & engineers, amongst other groups... for your average home user, yeah, I suppose it's a trendy thing, but it is truly functional in many applications.
weableandbob
I'm not particularly interested in any tablets at the moment, although I'm leaning more towards android than an iPad.
ProwerBot
You just can't compare an iPad to an Eee slate or anything else that runs real windows OSes. iPad is a tablet but it has compleatly different uses, for checking email on the go or watching movies on a nice screen. They're trying to make it better by giving it a better processor which is now dual core, but until they load the real Mac OS X onto it, its not fair to compare it.
FunDa
Let's have a quick list of what is available in this tablet computer range.

There is iPad and iPad2 (iPad 1 is pretty much just a toy, with the iPad 2 being almost a good comptetitor to the Android tablets)

Then, the Android tablets
-Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 inch
-Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 inch
-Motorola Xoom
-LG Optimus Slate
-Notion Ink Adam
-Archos
-gPad
-aPad

Then the other OSes
-RIM Blackberry Playbook
-WebOs based tablet from HP?

Windows based tablets
-eePC

Windows based netbook/tablet convertibles.

Of these the most useful is the Windows based tablets as of now.

This is because almost all software works on Windows(unfortunately it is not a great OS, but it is good)

Android, Apple's iOS, Palm, WebOS etc are new Operating systems and they do the basic things nicely, so if you want to just watch movies, browse the internet and do basic work only, these will be good enough.

The only problem comes when you need to use a software made for Windows(which most software are)
Ankhanu
FunDa wrote:

This is because almost all software works on Windows(unfortunately it is not a great OS, but it is good)

Android, Apple's iOS, Palm, WebOS etc are new Operating systems and they do the basic things nicely, so if you want to just watch movies, browse the internet and do basic work only, these will be good enough.

The only problem comes when you need to use a software made for Windows(which most software are)

Comparing a tablet computer to tablet style portable devices is about as sensible as comparing a cell phone and a computer. They're different technologies. iPads, Android tablets, etc. are not in the same category as the Eee Slate, nor are they intended to be.
FunDa
Ankhanu wrote:
FunDa wrote:

Comparing a tablet computer to tablet style portable devices is about as sensible as comparing a cell phone and a computer. They're different technologies. iPads, Android tablets, etc. are not in the same category as the Eee Slate, nor are they intended to be.

Hmmm ... I never thought of it that way.

What is the major difference ? Other than the operating system ?

I always that they would be very similar. Especially since the cost of iPAd is from $500 to $799

While a decent tablet PC costs about the same.
Ankhanu
A tablet computer is a full computer with a full OS, incorporating a tablet interface.
Mobile tablets use mobile OSes, they're front-end only devices for basic use with stripped down OSes; they generally lack access to the real file system. They're not designed to be used like a full system, but rather as media devices with limited computing capacity; they're much lighter weight products (not talking mass here, though that applies too Wink )

HArdware wise, the mobile tablets don't even compare to an actual tablet computer. Again, a real tablet is essentially laptop hardware with a tablet interface... mobiles are much lower powered systems with fewer resources (CPU, RAM, etc.) which reduces computing power but maximizes battery life.
ProwerBot
Correct. Dual core A4 in an iPad 2 =/= comparable to a Core i5. Nuff said.
eday2010
menino wrote:

The Galaxy Tab is too small. I find the iPad too small. The Eee Slate is the first tablet that has been big enough to be appealing. Plus I want a tablet for drawing and doing animation (and reading scanned magazines), so the fact that it runs Windows is even better.
FunDa
eday2010 wrote:
menino wrote:

The Galaxy Tab is too small. I find the iPad too small. The Eee Slate is the first tablet that has been big enough to be appealing. Plus I want a tablet for drawing and doing animation (and reading scanned magazines), so the fact that it runs Windows is even better.

The iPad is 10 inches. I thought that was the biggest usable size.

The Galaxy Tab was 7 inches (which I admit is pretty small) but the 10 inch size seemed to be big enough.

How big is the Eee Slate ?
eday2010
FunDa wrote:

The Galaxy Tab was 7 inches (which I admit is pretty small) but the 10 inch size seemed to be big enough.

The Eee Slate is 12.1 inches. 10 inches is big enough if you are just using the tablet as a toy, like the iPad is meant to be used, but for what I want to use a tablet for, 10 inches isn't big enough. A bonus for the Eee Slate is that it works with a stylus; a major bonus if you want to draw.
Ankhanu
eday2010 wrote:
FunDa wrote:

The Eee Slate is 12.1 inches. 10 inches is big enough if you are just using the tablet as a toy, like the iPad is meant to be used, but for what I want to use a tablet for, 10 inches isn't big enough. A bonus for the Eee Slate is that it works with a stylus; a major bonus if you want to draw.

So does iPad. You have to get a stylus that's compatible, but they are certainly available.
iPad 2 is also much less of a "toy" than its predecessor; it's a rather capable piece of hardware... though not as capable as a full OS system. But, it's not a "toy".
ProwerBot
With all the upgrades in the new iPad, the only thing thats really holding it back is the RAM installed. Up that a bit, and they would have a better chance competing in the market.
Ankhanu
ProwerBot wrote:
With all the upgrades in the new iPad, the only thing thats really holding it back is the RAM installed. Up that a bit, and they would have a better chance competing in the market.

Thing is, that's not the market it was designed to compete in. As it stands, it's the leader in the market it was designed to compete in.
FunDa
I agree that the iPad 2 is much better than the iPad. iPad 1 was definitely is just a toy. Andoid tablets can do much more.

But lie we have discussed above, the Windows and Linux tablets are a different category altogether - for Work and serious stuff. While the iPad and Android tablets are mainly media consumption devices and not work-books