FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Homefront

Dementei

Release Date: 3/8/2011
Platforms: PC, PS3, XB360
Publisher: THQ
Developer: Kaos Studios
Gamesite: http://www.homefront-game.com/
Genres: First-Person, Shooter
ESRB: M

Homefront is a first-person shooter from Kaos Studios, Digital Extremes and THQ. It is set in the year 2027 when North Korea invades the U.S.

Overview:
Quote:
Homefront is set in a near future America in 2027 when a nuclear-armed Korean People's Army invades the USA. The game is written by John Milius, who co-wrote Apocalypse Now and wrote Red Dawn. The beginning gameplay is reportedly set in Montrose, Colorado.

One of the major portions of the story arc is built around not only the growth of the North Korean forces over the years leading to the year 2027 (the year in which the game takes place), but also the economic downfall of the United States of America, and the unrest that seems to grip the nation before the invasion. Wikipedia

Singleplayer:
Quote:
David Votypka, the design director of Homefront, stated in an interview with G4TV that the gameplay will be based around guerilla style tactics, inspired by Half-Life 2. The same interview also contained information stating that one of the important facts concerning your surroundings is that they are built to try and build a connection with the user by using real companies and brands. Wikipedia

Multiplayer:
Quote:
The multiplayer component of Homefront is focused on large-scale vehicle based combat reminiscent of Kaos' first title, Frontlines: Fuel of War. The defining innovation of Homefront's Multiplayer is its battle points system, which is an in-game currency that allows player to purchase weapons, gear and vehicles. Players earn points by taking objectives and getting kills and are forced to choose between many small purchases such as weapons versus larger, higher cost items like helicopters and tanks. It has been confirmed that the multi-player will support up to 32 players in one match, with 16 players on each team. Homefront on Xbox 360 will be getting a timed exclusive map called "Suburbs", which will be set in the Suburbs of America and will be infantry / drone only.

The Multiplayer takes place in the period before the U.S. Armed Forces were completely scattered. Wikipedia

PC Version:
Quote:

Homefront's PC version has been outsourced to Digital Extremes, a Canadian developer responsible for numerous Unreal Tournament games and Bioshock ports. Frank Delise, the executive producer of the PC version has stated that the PC version of the game will feature exclusive content and dedicated servers. Additional exclusive features include clan support, DirectX 11 graphics, and first person vehicle cockpits. It has also been confirmed that Homefront will be released on Steam. Also, spectator mode and demorecording will be included along with a dedicated server executable, server tools and RCON. Wikipedia

The battle is in your backyard.

Experience something different in FPS.

Start the fight to take back the country!

Homefront Backstory Trailer

Homefront Preview on GameTrailers.com
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-hd-homefront/708050
achowles
From what I've read of the single player experience it's very inspired by Call of Duty Modern Warfare, but with the kind of back seat, less involved gameplay of Medal of Honour. In other words it's very linear and you're left waiting on NPCs to progress through the game on your behalf.

I've got nothing against the odd corridor shooter, but this strikes me as being too much of a hand-holding exercise for it to be interesting.
Dementei
achowles wrote:
From what I've read of the single player experience it's very inspired by Call of Duty Modern Warfare, but with the kind of back seat, less involved gameplay of Medal of Honour. In other words it's very linear and you're left waiting on NPCs to progress through the game on your behalf.

I've got nothing against the odd corridor shooter, but this strikes me as being too much of a hand-holding exercise for it to be interesting.

Yea true, but what game isn't like that these days? I sorta see Homefront as a COD mix with Half-life 2 in a way. But we'll see how it plays very soon, the release date is 3/14/2011 now instead of 3/8 didn't know they changed it..
achowles
Dementei wrote:
Yea true, but what game isn't like that these days?

That doesn't make them more interesting.

That said there are plenty of FPS games out there that offer more challenging gameplay. My favourite example of this is Stalker: Call of Pripyat. Almost totally open world (you cross into new maps only at specific points). An almost RPG-like system, including getting quests from and building your relationship with NPCs from the game's various factions and an inventory system.

But if you want something a bit more corridor-shootery and story driven then there's Cryostasis. That one's a lot more challenging in that you actually need to aim before you can hit anything. No running and gunning confident in the fact that you'll hit whatever is in your crosshairs in that one. It's set aboard a frozen icebreaker ship so heat is your source of health. Pretty damn memorable game, all in all.
drunkenkoz
I was looking into buying this game, but I saw the previews and stuff. I didn't really like it, so I'm going to stick to Call of Duty: Black Ops.
Dementei
achowles wrote:

That said there are plenty of FPS games out there that offer more challenging gameplay. My favourite example of this is Stalker: Call of Pripyat. Almost totally open world (you cross into new maps only at specific points). An almost RPG-like system, including getting quests from and building your relationship with NPCs from the game's various factions and an inventory system.

But if you want something a bit more corridor-shootery and story driven then there's Cryostasis. That one's a lot more challenging in that you actually need to aim before you can hit anything. No running and gunning confident in the fact that you'll hit whatever is in your crosshairs in that one. It's set aboard a frozen icebreaker ship so heat is your source of health. Pretty damn memorable game, all in all.

Played both of them, both good games.
So yea not all games are totally linear, every game has their own style, every game has a path for you to follow to complete the game there isn't anyway around that. But for Homefront they have an original story for the most part and has never been used in a video game and to me it is intriguing as it should to those who live in America. North Korea taking over America, how is that not interesting? Maybe if it was an open world America with RPG elements then you'd be all for it then eh? Wink
achowles
Dementei wrote:
Maybe if it was an open world America with RPG elements then you'd be all for it then eh? Wink

Well, you've got to admit, that would be all kinds of cool.

All I want to know is how much hand holding is going on. I couldn't care less if it's linear. But I don't want one 8 hour tutorial section with nothing after it.
Dementei
achowles wrote:

All I want to know is how much hand holding is going on. I couldn't care less if it's linear. But I don't want one 8 hour tutorial section with nothing after it.

Yea I know what you mean, just gotta play it to find out it seems. Hope for the best.
Dementei
Anyone play this game yet? Let us know how it is, I'm waiting till next paycheck to upgrade my GFX card then I'll try it out. Until then I'd like to know your opinions on it, thanks. Happy shooting.
rayxzero
Getting this game on PS3...
eday2010
The reviews I have read about this game have not said anything other than it's a mediocre game that is very repetitive. That is too bad because this actually sounded like a half decent shooter.
drunkenkoz
I played Home Front for a little while at my friends list and from my experience the single player campaign is bad. It has a good story line, but the gameplay was horrible and didn't follow it. The multiplayer aspect of this game is simply amazing, so It's a must buy just for that.
driftingfe3s
The reviews for Homefront haven't been good. In fact when the reviews came out, THQ's stock went down almost 26%!

You can read the article about it here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33539/THQ_Stock_Price_Down_25_Amid_Poor_Reviews_For_Homefront_Release.php
drunkenkoz
driftingfe3s wrote:
The reviews for Homefront haven't been good. In fact when the reviews came out, THQ's stock went down almost 26%!

You can read the article about it here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33539/THQ_Stock_Price_Down_25_Amid_Poor_Reviews_For_Homefront_Release.php

The only reason they are giving it bad reviews is because of the graphics and single player gameplay. The online gameplay for the game was amazing. A lot of people enjoyed it because it's a mixture of both battlefield 2 and call of duty.
Grandhacke
Dementei wrote:

Release Date: 3/8/2011
Platforms: PC, PS3, XB360
Publisher: THQ
Developer: Kaos Studios
Gamesite: http://www.homefront-game.com/
Genres: First-Person, Shooter
ESRB: M

Homefront is a first-person shooter from Kaos Studios, Digital Extremes and THQ. It is set in the year 2027 when North Korea invades the U.S.

Overview:
Quote:
Homefront is set in a near future America in 2027 when a nuclear-armed Korean People's Army invades the USA. The game is written by John Milius, who co-wrote Apocalypse Now and wrote Red Dawn. The beginning gameplay is reportedly set in Montrose, Colorado.

One of the major portions of the story arc is built around not only the growth of the North Korean forces over the years leading to the year 2027 (the year in which the game takes place), but also the economic downfall of the United States of America, and the unrest that seems to grip the nation before the invasion. Wikipedia

Singleplayer:
Quote:
David Votypka, the design director of Homefront, stated in an interview with G4TV that the gameplay will be based around guerilla style tactics, inspired by Half-Life 2. The same interview also contained information stating that one of the important facts concerning your surroundings is that they are built to try and build a connection with the user by using real companies and brands. Wikipedia

Multiplayer:
Quote:
The multiplayer component of Homefront is focused on large-scale vehicle based combat reminiscent of Kaos' first title, Frontlines: Fuel of War. The defining innovation of Homefront's Multiplayer is its battle points system, which is an in-game currency that allows player to purchase weapons, gear and vehicles. Players earn points by taking objectives and getting kills and are forced to choose between many small purchases such as weapons versus larger, higher cost items like helicopters and tanks. It has been confirmed that the multi-player will support up to 32 players in one match, with 16 players on each team. Homefront on Xbox 360 will be getting a timed exclusive map called "Suburbs", which will be set in the Suburbs of America and will be infantry / drone only.

The Multiplayer takes place in the period before the U.S. Armed Forces were completely scattered. Wikipedia

PC Version:
Quote:

Homefront's PC version has been outsourced to Digital Extremes, a Canadian developer responsible for numerous Unreal Tournament games and Bioshock ports. Frank Delise, the executive producer of the PC version has stated that the PC version of the game will feature exclusive content and dedicated servers. Additional exclusive features include clan support, DirectX 11 graphics, and first person vehicle cockpits. It has also been confirmed that Homefront will be released on Steam. Also, spectator mode and demorecording will be included along with a dedicated server executable, server tools and RCON. Wikipedia

The battle is in your backyard.

Experience something different in FPS.

Start the fight to take back the country!

Homefront Backstory Trailer

Homefront Preview on GameTrailers.com
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-hd-homefront/708050

i wanna play this game Very Happy
Dementei
Glad you like my review Very Happy