FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm really sorry for Nokia joining Microsoft

iyepes
I couldn't believe it when an student told me two weeks ago about the possibility of Nokia joining Microsoft in windows phone. I said, ok, they hired an X-CEO of microsoft, they are considering it, but I really couldn't believe it.

This week when the agreement was confirmed I can tell I felt a deep sadness.

All the mobile phone I've ever bought for me or to give to someone else have been Nokia. I was so faithfull to the brand because the used to be good, strong, long lasting batteries, good reception sensitivity and fast.

I could not imagine a windows phone device, on the old simple and reliable Nokia, I imagine the software consuming all the hardware and let the user with nothink, I imagine the crashes and the virus... I imagine windows.

Definitely my next mobile phone won't be Nokia.
emanuel2
Nokia just have fallen ways behind with their OS, to compete in the market. And microsoft was not really successful with their phones. So it could not get worse...maybe
Ankhanu
Nokia's OS has been garbage for smart phones. THIS is where Microsoft is going to come in; I really doubt that Microsoft will have anything to do with basic phones... they'll likely remain fully Nokia.

That said, I've been hearing some pretty good things about the current Windows Mobile OS; it's MUCH better than its predecessors relatively and on par with iOS and Android. Given Nokia's crap offerings in the smartphone world, this is a pretty good move for them. Nokia doesn't have the OS R&D that Apple, Google and Microsoft have, they, at best would lag way behind; more likely their offering would just never gain traction.

That said, Android might have been a better choice than Windows, but time will tell. As Windows matures and gains more market, we might see some interesting things come out of them.
ahnguye5
Android overtook Nokia's customer base as all the journalists have stated. If Nokia didn't make this move than they would have faded into the background. Now, the reason Stephen Elop chose to go with Windows Phone 7 is unclear. I think he stated that he didn't want the market to be dominated by Apple and Google which is what the result would be if he had chosen to go with Android. The merge of Nokia's great hardware and Microsoft's very capable mobile OS seems like a good deal to me. It will also allow further innovations as competition will not be limited to only two platforms.
QrafTee
Nokia would've been able to reap their reward if they carried the Android banner... but I guess they waited too long and felt they have no other choice--either join Android late or join Windows 7 Mobile early.
superman13
the best thing is that nokia will continue symbian phones and will suport symbian for future.... but I think the best way is to make Android Phones... that will be sensation Wink
FunDa
Nokia said that they won't make android phones.

But making Windows phones is not a good idea.

Right now, Windows 7 is good, but nobody is marketing it, and Microsoft has not bothered to update it after its release.

But Android and IPhone are being updated with new features very frequently.

In that case, releasing some Android phones would be the best thing Nokia can do., but they stubbornly refuse.
Ankhanu
[quote="FunDa"]Right now, Windows 7 is good, but nobody is marketing it, and Microsoft has not bothered to update it after its release./quote]

It's only been out for a couple months...
What are the shortcomings of the OS that require update?
driftingfe3s
[quote="Ankhanu"]
FunDa wrote:
Right now, Windows 7 is good, but nobody is marketing it, and Microsoft has not bothered to update it after its release./quote]

It's only been out for a couple months...
What are the shortcomings of the OS that require update?

When it first came out one of the things it lacked was copy and paste. I think there was a recent update that just fixed that. It also doesn't do multi-tasking from what i remember.

I also think windows phone 7 i good. I really like the user interface, but it doesn't seem to be catching on with people very much.
ahnguye5
driftingfe3s wrote:

When it first came out one of the things it lacked was copy and paste. I think there was a recent update that just fixed that. It also doesn't do multi-tasking from what i remember.

I also think windows phone 7 is good. I really like the user interface, but it doesn't seem to be catching on with people very much.

Windows Phone 7 is in an awkward position. It's backed by a huge company but probably won't do as well as Android has because there isn't an abundance of apps. The Android market doesn't have as many as Apple's App Store but the Google Apps are excellently integrated into the platform. I, for one, love using Gmail, Maps, and ChromeToPhone to name a few. Android users also enjoy updates to Google apps before iOS users do.

In the long run, I think that WP7 will do fine as the OS improves and consumers hear about it more. Those that have the urge to choose the underdog as many did with Android a few years back will find themselves attracted to WP7 in my opinion.
menino
I think Microsoft is really trying to come up with something better than the Android and iOS of Apple's, and it is probably under development.
But combining the symbian with Microsoft could be anyone's guess if it would be better or worse.
Its probable that all will go together, i.e. Microsoft mobile, symbian, and a combo of the two, and see which one sells better.
flamepjlh
iyepes wrote:
I couldn't believe it when an student told me two weeks ago about the possibility of Nokia joining Microsoft in windows phone. I said, ok, they hired an X-CEO of microsoft, they are considering it, but I really couldn't believe it.

This week when the agreement was confirmed I can tell I felt a deep sadness.

All the mobile phone I've ever bought for me or to give to someone else have been Nokia. I was so faithfull to the brand because the used to be good, strong, long lasting batteries, good reception sensitivity and fast.

I could not imagine a windows phone device, on the old simple and reliable Nokia, I imagine the software consuming all the hardware and let the user with nothink, I imagine the crashes and the virus... I imagine windows.

Definitely my next mobile phone won't be Nokia.

I don't think symbian will get any support in the future.

Do you ? Rolling Eyes
Ankhanu
flamepjlh wrote:

Do you ? Rolling Eyes

Nope Razz
Symbian development is a cost that Nokia is looking to eliminate through adopting another company's OS. OS development and maintenance is expensive, why maintain that cost when you can pass it on to someone else and lease their product for less??
ahnguye5
flamepjlh wrote:

Do you ? Rolling Eyes

Stephen Elop said they would continue developing Symbian as their innovative platform of the future.
pll
Nokia + Microsoft are coming together...

and they took songs from APPLE to make the announcement video :
The Announcement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdZkXcCxeVg
--
The apple jingle :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSPdW_9sguU

That's great! Isn't it ?
gctpoy
Nokia has taken good decision to join hands with microsoft on using windows phone 7.
Windows phone 7 is one of the best products from microsoft that features awesome tiles and impressive fonts.
Joining android bandwagon can cause
1)Patent infringement cases
2)lack of differentiation ,android being adopted by several manaufacturers.

Nokia rocks with its hardware and microsoft with software.
I believe that nokia will optimize windows for their phones and bring out their battery advantage.

But nokia needs to continue developing meego that might handy in long run.That can avoid royalties for microsoft and give full control over its software.
silverdown
i can see it now windows Nokia or MS Nokia Office... just sayin
Asap170
Just because Microsoft joined up with Nokia doesn't mean anything. Who cares that Nokia houses the X-CEO of Microsoft. People need to learn that just because something like that happened doesn't mean you hate them for life. It's business things change for the better no matter what the situation is.
adri
iyepes wrote:
I was so faithfull to the brand because the used to be good, strong, long lasting batteries, good reception sensitivity and fast.

Amen to that. _0_ I have an eight year old Nokia 1100 that still has a decent battery life and besides the reduce in memory (I went from storing 80 text messages to 60 Sad ) I still find it one of the best mobile phones. Ah... Good old Nokia.

I do have an HTC Wildfire too since february. Smile

I would say: Join the Android side. Twisted Evil

adri