FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Black and a bright colour goes well

tzeqing
Hi everyone,

I've been designing blogs for quite a long time and so far my supporters favour those that are designed with black and a strong, bold and bright colour.

Colours such as pink, orange, neon blue and neon green go very well with black.

Making frames [div layers] and lines that are of these colours, plus white verdana 10px font AND a black background will give an eyepleasing website.

If you don't trust me, visit http://empty-cries.blogspot.com , a blog designed by me for a friend. (:
Ashims
...or I could rip my own face off, blend it up and eat it through a straw?

okay... I dont think its that bad really... not...that...bad... there are some big flaws with that site though, namely that your font family is "verdana". From now on when you want your font family to be verdana or similar put something like

Code:
body{
font-size: 8pt;
font-family: arial, verdana, sans;
}

Arial and Verdana are M$ fonts (I think... one of the might not be... anyway_) for compatibilities sake, always include "sans". Its the same breed of font.

Also, font-size 8pt is the same as size 10px, and if you use points instead of pixels your site can be scaled for the freaking blind people out there (hold ctrl and spin your mouse wheel to try it).

As far as the colour things go... I absolutely hate fluro on black. Not because its always bad, but because its bad most of the the time. Fluro on black is what all those frontpagers use with their hundreds of animated gif's per page, and their FREAKING MIDIS PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND

I swear, if its the last thing I do I will destroy the man who chose to leave an option in frontpage for adding background music... he's laughing right now up in his big programmers chair, throwing popcorn at all the little designers down here (and the rest of the world) who have to suffer because of it.

Admitantly it can be done... but you have to be VERY careful.

Cheers.
Ash.[/code]
littlegiant
Actually Arial and Verdana come with the default installation of Mac nowadays so they're generally considered as browser-safe fonts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fonts_in_Mac_OS_X

Also, according to the CSS2 official specification, the correct spelling for the generic font family you're referring to is 'sans-serif' not 'sans'. I've never heard of just using 'sans'. Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#generic-font-families
Ashims
What the hell :p.

Verdana is by Microsoft --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdana

Arial is in bed with Microsoft --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arial

and although they're both Web core fonts (also by Microsoft) --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_core_fonts

they're not always avaliable, especially on embedded devices and *nix systems which steer away from anything with any connection to microsoft for fear of being sued.

My point was that by having the three fonts there you are suddenly compatible with some high ninetys percentile of the internet using community, rather than just a majority.

The ability to have multiple fonts in there is there to be used. He just used "Arial" which is just a bit too narrow minded for my tastes.

You're right about the sans thing tho, its not exactly correct-- more a bad habit of mine... *shrug* Smile... they both give the same result.

Cheers.
Ash.
littlegiant
Totally off-topic but I might also add that some visually impaired individuals might take offense to be referred to as "freaking blind".
friscofrankie
you can always put veranda up first if it what you like. but for those of us that avoid MS products like the plague you could include san-serif in that list please? It is actually recommended by W3c and if you go to the validator pages to have your stylesheet checked it will raise a flag warning you to put at least one generic font-family name in your list of fonts.
Black backgrounds always appear "trying to be cool;" bright colors and and black, I'll pass. When I see that I just click on through....
to each his own i guess.
littlegiant
Quote:
You're right about the sans thing tho, its not exactly correct-- more a bad habit of mine... *shrug* Smile... they both give the same result.

I just ran a simple test to see if 'sans' would be recognized as 'sans-serif' and it clearly isn't. I ran this test in IE, Firefox and Opera and all gave a big negatory on recognizing 'sans'. So I'm not sure where you got the idea that 'sans' and 'sans-serif' would give the same result.

Here's the test I ran:

The following code will write the word 'TESTING' in Times New Roman because the 'sans' font-family is not recognized to apply to the P element:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title></title>

<style type="text/css">
<!--
BODY {font-family: 'Times New Roman';}
P {font-family: sans;}
-->
</style>

</head>

<body>

<p>TESTING</p>

</body>
</html>

Whereas this code will truly write the word testing in 'sans-serif':

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title></title>

<style type="text/css">
<!--
P {font-family: sans-serif;}
-->
</style>

</head>

<body>

<p>TESTING</p>

</body>
</html>

Try it out for yourself. Wink
gamo
littlegiant wrote:
Quote:

I just ran a simple test to see if 'sans' would be recognized as 'sans-serif' and it clearly isn't. I ran this test in IE, Firefox and Opera and all gave a big negatory on recognizing 'sans'. So I'm not sure where you got the idea that 'sans' and 'sans-serif' would give the same result.

Here's the test I ran:

The following code will write the word 'TESTING' in Times New Roman because the 'sans' font-family is not recognized to apply to the P element:

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title></title>

<style type="text/css">
<!--
P {font-family: sans;}
-->
</style>

</head>

<body>

<p>TESTING</p>

</body>
</html>

Whereas this code will truly write the word testing in 'sans-serif':

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title></title>

<style type="text/css">
<!--
P {font-family: sans-serif;}
-->
</style>

</head>

<body>

<p>TESTING</p>

</body>
</html>

Try it out for yourself. Wink

class object we must define ourselve and default object (ie: BODY, TD, TR...) also be changed if we redefine their attributes.

You should put all CSS code into a .css file because it make your code clear and inscrease download speed. You see, .css file and .js just be downloaded one time. After that, these files will pop from browser cache, so your webpage speed are optimized.
KungFuChris
gamo wrote:

class object we must define ourselve and default object (ie: BODY, TD, TR...) also be changed if we redefine their attributes.

You should put all CSS code into a .css file because it make your code clear and inscrease download speed. You see, .css file and .js just be downloaded one time. After that, these files will pop from browser cache, so your webpage speed are optimized.

I'm sure littlegiant is simply making a point, not building an entire website from that example, and as such does not need the additional selectors as they are not used.

As for the neon on black, this can be effective if used right and in the correct circumstances, but I also think it's one of those things that tends to have people leaning to one extreme or the other of either liking it or hating it. You'd have to think carefully about how wide an audience you want your site to appeal to before implementing it.
snowboardalliance
I think its okay, but why do you have your FORUM font light on light? You do know its hard to read? Sorry, didn't even bother to try reading your post.
polarBear
Oh, by the way, this stuff:
Code:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
var password;
var pass1 = "ilurusion"; //

password = prompt("hey there. pw?");
if (password == pass1)
    ;
else
{
    window.location = "http://www.yahoo.com";
}
</script>
is unhealthy... don't put a password prompt or don't put the password on plain text reading, it turns that password promprt absolutely useless.

( took it from your other blog, namely http://musicgaraged.blogspot.com/)
littlegiant
Quote:
I'm sure littlegiant is simply making a point, not building an entire website from that example, and as such does not need the additional selectors as they are not used.

Thank you. Rolling Eyes

...(sheesh...)