FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Geforce GTX 560M Laptops

QrafTee
I was planning to get a new laptop--a Sager--and they have the Geforce GT 540M laptops, but I was wondering if anyone knew when a Sager would start allowing configurations with the GTX 560M video card.

Also, I did some researching, but haven't been able to find out whether or not it will support Optimus. Optimus is basically the technology that allows your laptop to auto switch to and from the Intel integrated video card and the Geforce video card depending on whether or not you're running an application (or game) which requires the Geforce video card--it helps preserve battery life considerably.
william
I'm in a bit of a hurry so I'll get into details a bit later. But...

The Sager laptops equipped with the GT 540M will probably not support the GTX 560M since that's supposedly a more power hungry card. Not to mention besides the thermal limitations, those notebooks aren't targeted at gamers, so it is unlikely for them to move up to that level of a graphics card.

The Sager NP8130/NP8150 and NP8170 currently support the GTX460 (or higher) so you can expect the GTX 560M to come out on those notebooks. After all, the GTX 500 series will just be an update of the GTX 400 series (kind of like the GeForce 9 and GeForce 8).

As for Optimus, the GT 540M equipped notebooks do support it, the GTX 460M - GTX 485M notebooks do not. Sager said that their high end notebooks will, unfortunately, not support Optimus. Who knows, perhaps they might change something after the GTX 560M comes out, but I wouldn't count on it.
QrafTee
It's strange to me that Nvidia would not use this technology where it is needed most--power hungry laptops which makes short work of limited battery capacity.

I know that Nvidia has already finished their GT 550M and GT 555M, but they're still a bit lower tier than I'd like. And yes I was looking at the Sager 5160 and the 8150. Shame, I might have to go with the 5160 because it is more power efficient.

It's suppose to be in the MSI GT780 and that thing is a beauty, but way too big to carry around.

EDIT: Actually I'd be satisfied with a Geforce GT 555 laptop... but I can't find any of those either.
william
Well, because the NP8130/NP8150/NP8170 are classified as high end notebooks, Sager believes that it is best to leave switchable graphics out of these systems for compatibility reasons (with both games and Linux). That's what they, themselves, are saying about it. And it appears Alienware isn't offering it either, so there must be something to it. I don't think the GT780 has it either (might be wrong on that, though).

But I do agree, if the NP8150 had Optimus, I would buy it in a heartbeat (lasts two hours with the dedicated card, imagine how long it would last with an integrated chip). Actually, what I would prefer is just a switch or a button that allows me to manually switch between dedicated and integrated GPUs.

The GT 555M is a decent card, but it is noticeably behind the GTX 560M. I think it ranks a bit below the old 9800m GTX. The only notebook I know of that's coming with it is an Ideapad. I think it is the Y470, which is Sandy Bridge and 14". I do believe there is a 15.6" version (Y570) coming out as well.
weableandbob
I would personally think that a 540M would be plenty. Sure, a 560M would be nicer, but a 540M is plenty of power for any gaming you'll need on the go or for home use.
QrafTee
weableandbob wrote:
I would personally think that a 540M would be plenty. Sure, a 560M would be nicer, but a 540M is plenty of power for any gaming you'll need on the go or for home use.
Well that's true that it's plenty of power, but I wanted a system with brains and brawn. The 540M is a mid-range GPU (soldered onto the motherboard) and I'd like at least a high mid-range but Sager doesn't seem to offer a model with it (only Lenovo has it for some reason).

I think I'll have to make due with the 8130 with the GTX 460M and the matte screen. It is a pain to use the laptop when the glossy screen is drowned out by the class lighting and sunlight at the cafeteria.

EDIT: So I found out that the GTX 460M technically does support Optimus, but for some reason no notebook manufacturers want to enable it and pair it with an integrated Intel graphics solution. This is mind boggling since high-end graphics systems would stand to gain the most from switchable graphics.
william
Yep, it does in fact support Optimus. I would really like to see it, but I'm not entirely sure about how bad the compatibility issues are. I feel it would open the notebook up to a larger market. Oh well, maybe the next generation.

By the way, NP8130 is a crazy good deal. When the prices for these notebooks came out, I had to do a double take because the performance is incredible. The new Sandy Bridge notebook CPUs rival first generation desktop i7s. Just note that you won't be able to upgrade to a GTX 485M down the road if that's something that interests you. Granted, overcoming that limitation might just be a matter of a large power supply. Also, Sandy Bridge notebook shipments have halted until Intel fixes the SATA port bug.
QrafTee
william wrote:
Yep, it does in fact support Optimus. I would really like to see it, but I'm not entirely sure about how bad the compatibility issues are. I feel it would open the notebook up to a larger market. Oh well, maybe the next generation.

By the way, NP8130 is a crazy good deal. When the prices for these notebooks came out, I had to do a double take because the performance is incredible. The new Sandy Bridge notebook CPUs rival first generation desktop i7s. Just note that you won't be able to upgrade to a GTX 485M down the road if that's something that interests you. Granted, overcoming that limitation might just be a matter of a large power supply. Also, Sandy Bridge notebook shipments have halted until Intel fixes the SATA port bug.
Yeah, I heard the new batch has already made it to the Sager resellers because the halt on shipment has been lifted and people are receiving their new systems now. I think I'll bite the bullet and get the NP8130 because of the matte screen, better GPU, and better sound system--that and I have to get one very soon... like tonight.