FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

clamshell smartphones

D'Artagnan
hello people,

i'm trying to find a new phone for me, i want only two things but they seem to be uncompatible,

the phone must be a clamshell flip design, so the display is protected against my clumsiness, and yes, the only way i'm not going to ruin the screen is by actually having a built in protective shell, and i want it to be a smarthphone, if a android all the better, but i cant find a phone like this, the clamshell design seems to be out of date or something.
Ankhanu
Blackberry Pearl?

Generally a clamshell design is out of vogue, it's going to limit your options severely. Have you considered a case? Most of the flip screen smartphones I've encountered have been kinda garbage.
D'Artagnan
yeah i did consider a cover, but i'm just really really clumsy i both lose the cover and scratch all the phone , i have done it...
badai
get an otterbox defender. you can literally throw your phone against the wall.

or get a motorola defy. the paint job is not quite good. but the screen is supposed to stand a gorilla's punch.
D'Artagnan
i like the defy and it's an android, now its too bad flips are getting out of fashion, they are so much more comfy :/
badai
who says its getting out of fashion?

weableandbob
Yeah, a clamshell design limits your options to just a few phones. I thoroughly suggest just getting a normal smartphone of your choice and then buying a nice clamshell-type case like badai posted.
Possum
I really like my Nokia 3710..

It works for me. But does crash way too much when playing mp3.

Its still just a feature phone.

Texting is easy.

Voice memo (which I use alot) is unlimited.

The available software is crap. Nokia is going to die though. They just don't get Software.

Although I do say I like the 3710 I am not really recommending it. I would wait for an Android Clamshell.

P.S. If you find one let me know... Wink
Possum
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/samsung-makes-an-android-2-2-clamshell-unless-youre-in-china/
Rajiev
If your that Clumsy, a Candy bar type phone is the match for you :S

Cos Moving parts means it is more vulnerable for damage Sad

There are great phones with gorilla glass cover and you can fortify it with a external screen / phone guard. I strongly suggest you go for one like that Smile

Clam-shell Sucks :p