FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gif, Flash or html5 animations for Banners

emanuel2
Hey guys,
I have a question.
Would you design your website banners in gif, flash or html5?
Since flash and html 5 is not supported by some/many platforms, devices, browsers, etc. I still tend to use the old gif format. Is their another appropriate option?

br,
Emanuel
devilimut
maybe in here www.trickpothosop.com
jcreus
emanuel2 wrote:
Hey guys,
I have a question.
Would you design your website banners in gif, flash or html5?
Since flash and html 5 is not supported by some/many platforms, devices, browsers, etc. I still tend to use the old gif format. Is their another appropriate option?

br,
Emanuel

If it hasn't got to be animated it's probably best to use JPG or PNG. If it has to be animated, I also recommend gif. Few browsers (in fact not few, but they are not often used) support HTML5, and many people (including myself) don't install Flash (huh... not free software). You can also use JavaScript and jQuery which can create great effects (again, support problems: many people disable JavaScript).

By the way, a shocking effect would be using :hover on the body. For each hover change to another frame of the banner. Smile
AdmiralCrunch
make a swf and a screenshot for the apple-guys Wink
sonam
It is not simple answer on your question because you must think about some other elements in this banner. For example if you want to change it every 15 days (text, color, etc.) then flash and gif are not good solution. In that case my suggestion is javascript and background image (jpg, gif, png). If you want some cool effect then flash have lot of options, but again now is possible to do the same think with jquery (or something similar). Some good effect you can get with CSS3 (text or box shadow, etc.). Of course some browsers don't support all CSS3 options. Many webmasters have the same question in head and anyone try to find the best solution for each site. For example, I have one good banner rotor in flash and I am insert it in lot of my sites, but now I am changing it for one ajax-php rotator because is faster editable then flash.

HTML5 is ok if you don't care for not supported browsers (and give less attractive version for it). But this is double codding.

Sonam

@jcreus
Quote:
Flash (huh... not free software)

Flas is not free but flash player is free and some browser automatically update player (Chrome). Wink
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Quote:
many people disable JavaScript

This is true before few years when lot of viruses come via Javascript, but today the situation is little bit different. Anti virus programs block all install intention via browsers and many people enable Javascript back. Here is post on yahoo developer network (one year old) where we can see how only in USA percent of disabled JS is higher then 2%.
http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/ydn/posts/2010/10/how-many-users-have-javascript-disabled/
chatrack
if you consider gif, nothing about , browser pbroblems
Ghost Rider103
This really depends.

If your banner not capable of being in .jpg format? Or are you talking about a header rather than a banner?

If what you're trying to do is capable of being shown in .gif format and you're very worried that the people viewing your website won't have flash or html5 capability, then go with the .gif format.

Otherwise, I'd say go with html5 over flash. I think it will be more user friendly than flash in the future. Once more browsers start supporting html5 anyways.