FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who celebrates Valentines?

deanhills
I don't really, although it's a nice excuse for asking someone on a date, but do people still celebrate Valentines, or is it more of a commercial money-making activity?

For those who do celebrate it, Happy Valentine's Day Very Happy
chatrack
Hi,
It for those who still keep love in their mind.
watersoul
I only realised it was St Val's day this morning when I had to type the date in a letter at work!
I actually chuckled to myself thinking how glad I was that after a weekend of excess watching the 6 Nations Rugby and a couple of parties, I got myself through Monday knowing that when I finished at 4pm I didn't have to do anything else except chill out at home, and not make any special efforts for anyone else (candlelit meal or whatever).

I'm sure if I was in a relationship right now then yes, I'd totally make the effort and treat the girl of my dreams to a lovely night...I was really glad it wasn't something I had to do tonight though! Laughing
standready
deanhills wrote:
or is it more of a commercial money-making activity?

I joking refer to this day, along with sweetest day and a few others as 'Hallmark' holidays. A way for the card company to sell more. Plus can't forget candy and flower companies either.
If you really care about someone, you are a fool to wait for a commercialized holiday to do something special for them.
captainsuperdude
The internet IS my girlfriend...

what.. you...

you mean I need to be dating an actually girl in order to say I have a girlfriend?

well that's... that's absurd!
lovescience
Happy Valentine's Day! Very Happy
deanhills
standready wrote:
If you really care about someone, you are a fool to wait for a commercialized holiday to do something special for them.
My sentiments exactly. Ditto Father's and Mother's day, although these commercial guys have a way with playing on my guilt feelings, or maybe I'm just their willing victim. Father's and Mother's day I have to do something. Very Happy
emanuel2
I was very lucky my girlfriend is abroad, so no need for romantics, chocolate and flowers Smile
CheDragon
I don΄t
missdixy
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
or is it more of a commercial money-making activity?

While I generally agree with this statement, I don't think it's necessarily bad to have a day to celebrate love, or even a day to celebrate your parents, etc. While I am against how commercialized this holiday has become, I think it's great that there is a holiday where you can celebrate your love. Because of this reason, I think the best gifts for Valentine's Day are those that are personal, and thoughtful. For instance, my boyfriend got me a make-up mirror that I've been wanting for a while now (but haven't been able to afford). If anything, Valentine's Day can be a motivation to take time out of our busy lives to do something special for the one we love. Homemade cards, movies we've been wanting to see but haven't been able to, etc. One year, my significant other got me a cookbook that they put together and designed and ordered online on Blurb. It contained all my favorite recipes that their mother makes.

So yes, I am all for a day that celebrates love! I am, however, against the typical Valentine's Day cards and chocolate boxes and balloons and etc etc. Unless, hey, maybe your significant other REALLY likes chocolates and you buy them a box of their favorite chocolate that just happens to be Valentine's Day-decorated.
Ghost900
I don't celebrate the holiday but then I am not dating anybody so that may be more of the reason.

I think it is fine to have a special day to show love and whatnot but the way it and mothers day have turned to more about spending money on somebody and less focused on just spending good time with one another is the part that I am less pleased about.

To each there own though.
goutha
Well, I don't celebrate Valentine every year.

Actually it depends on our mood. It can be a BIG gift of several thousand dollars or a simple 1$ chocolate.

Love exists during the whole life. Then Valentine Day is not really the only occasion to love each other!
dalethomas
I am not agree with you I think Valentine day should be celebrated with happiness
nigam
we celebrate love each day but during valentines day....it is a special day for our love ones... that depends how you celebrate it whether you simply give flowers and chocolates or even a simple card to show how you love them. we celebrated it every year by having a dinner date which is more special and more meaningful Smile anyways, belated happy valentines day to all.....
Asap170
Well it is for people who keep love on their mind, but it doesn't work out to well when your too shy to give a Valentines Day gift to the girl you like. Epic Fail.
deanhills
Asap170 wrote:
Well it is for people who keep love on their mind, but it doesn't work out to well when your too shy to give a Valentines Day gift to the girl you like. Epic Fail.
Good point. It is stressful. One does not know whether one will offend, do too much or too little, or maybe if you don't know her very well yet, that she may not be into Valentines at all. Sometimes it's a bit of the roll of the dice. Smile

What does impress though is whether you are into the Valentines, so if you make it a big deal for yourself and be a Valentine and it is authentic, then that may win some points with her. Like telling her it's your favourite day and please to dress up special as you are going to surprise her. That I think would be a good start. If you can do it at least a week in advance, it is something she can look forward to, and maybe you as well, if you are into Valentines. Then take her to a nice restaurant and give her the five star treatment. Whether she is into Valentines or not, she may be bowled over by you being into it. Obviously if you are not into Valentines, and act neither "in" or "out", uncertain, don't take initiative etc. it comes across luke warm, then it's not going to make any difference. Perhaps better just to leave it. I'm personally not much into Valentines, but I'm not against it being used as an opportunity for courting the girl you love or want to sweep off her feet, as I think that was what Valentino was about. Except of course he did it every day. Very Happy
Insanity
I don't like Valentine's Day because it's been so commericialized that it's not even funny. But then there's the expecations that have been perpetuated everywhere, signs that you need to do something romantic or be with someone of the opposite sex on this day because otherwise you're a loser. This makes it hard to boycott Valentine's Day when everyone you know is thinking that you're a loser for not doing anything on Valentine's Day. It's just these expectations that have developed over the years, and I blame the Hallmark company and greeting card companies who are supposedly behind all this.
ProfessorY91
Single, noncelebratory, celibate, and happy. Like a boss.
foumy6
the only time that I really do is if i dating anyone when it happens otherwise i could care less about it's only really fun when your a kid and you get valentines from all you friends and all, and you get to go home with your big bag of candy. Well for me at least when I was in elementry school it was like another holloween, but that could be just me.
deanhills
foumy6 wrote:
Well for me at least when I was in elementry school it was like another holloween, but that could be just me.
lol Laughing This is an excellent comment. I have not heard anyone connecting Valentines with Halloween yet, but who knows, for some it could have that effect! Very Happy
ankitdatashn
Every Day is a valentines Day Very Happy
wellerchap
They were pretty big when I was younger, (80's) now it seems everyone communicates via text/email, so maybe a lot of the romance/excitement's gone?
One good rhyme I used to write in pretty much all of the 438 cards I'd send out each year was....

"Sex is evil,
Evil is sin,
Sin is forgiven,
So let's get stuck in!"

It didn't work Embarassed
deanhills
Shocked Embarassed Very Happy