FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How long will Earth survive?

hanting
Well, there's a topic about whether the Sun will die or not.

And now here's another question: How long will Earth survive?

It's hard to imagine. Maybe by the time Sun dies, Planet Earth does not exist anymore.

And use your imagination: What will Earth be like billions of billions of years later?

I think technology will be so advance nothing is impossible. You can fly without aeroplanes. Robots do things for you. Everything becames automatic.

What about you?
tzeqing
Well I do suppose if we humans die out, it will be our own fault rather than external factors such as the Sun not being around to give us warmth anymore or if we were hit by a massive aesteroid.

I say so because judging from the way humans are killing off each other day by day, peace is getting harder to maintain, therefore there would be one eventually day when everyone dies out.

Besides that, we are polluting our earth more and more, and causing many creatures' extinctions. We are removing natural resources; tampering with Mother Nature...

I do think that there is still hope for our earth though, if we learn to co-operate and live harmoniously with nature.
Very Happy [/img]
ronitvohra
tzeqing wrote:
Well I do suppose if we humans die out, it will be our own fault rather than external factors such as the Sun not being around to give us warmth anymore or if we were hit by a massive aesteroid.

I say so because judging from the way humans are killing off each other day by day, peace is getting harder to maintain, therefore there would be one eventually day when everyone dies out.

Besides that, we are polluting our earth more and more, and causing many creatures' extinctions. We are removing natural resources; tampering with Mother Nature...

I do think that there is still hope for our earth though, if we learn to co-operate and live harmoniously with nature.
Very Happy [/img]

please dont use so small fonts......

And I m not worried about the earth........God Will DO wht He thinks the best...........
falconfx
I think it's a so long time that I haven't to worry about. Smile
soulman
As long as god want to destroy everthing include the universe
wistom
I dont think so. Through the sun will die or not, i think we can find another place to live. Maybe when the sun die we have find out the another plante. For example, the plante maxie or another far away place.
Dark_Jedi06
Humans will annihilate their own race before the Sun expands into a Red Giant and engulfs this planet. Billions of years from now humans will be gone, and who knows, we might take the planet with us.

But really, it's useless to speculate on an ever changing future.
schudder
Good point.

We could be speculating on things that'll happen in several centuries when perhaps tomorrow we'll discover a meteore's about to hit us... Or the giant vulcano under Yellowstone will erupt or something like that...

There's really no point in speculating how things will be then.

However, about how long the Sun will survive: scientists generally believe that the sun originally had enough helium and hydrogen and whatnot in it to last about 10 billion years. If I remember correctly, the sun is now 5.5 billion years old (give or take a few million) so logically speaking, everything will die out here in no more than 4.5 billion years. Of course, it's very well possible that by that time - assuming mankind still exists - we will be able to travel to different solar systems, so it really won't matter.
heptagon
I agree, mankind will probably won't make it that long, we're an absolute bunch of idiots, the more developed the more selfish and individualistic.

Either we put ourselves some sort of limits (won't happen, men always strives to improve) and go back so some sort of basics or we will for sure destroy the place.

Development isn't bad per se but if it doesn't respect the environment (like the current sort of no-limits consumerism), it should not be called developement.
billgertz
scientifically speaking, humans will leave earth as soon as the sun looses its ability to support a good amount of enery to support earth..

Theologically speaking, GOD is the only one who will decide what will happen to the universe Very Happy
dragonflame
it helps to take care of the environment.
dark_paladin
The earth may last for some millions more years, but human... I hope not...
shadows
in my opinion, it will take so much time to that for happen that we cant ever imagine what would happen.
maybe the tecnology will be so advanced that we will be able to set up our own sun, and i know that may sound imposible or crayze by now, but no-one know what could happen in the future, right? Wink
charliehk
I used to think it would be sad if human beings are extinushed, but now it seems to me that if it is unavoidable, just accept it!
FireFoxDB
By the time the sun dies we have technology to make a sun ourselves.

But i don't know how long we will survive because we are destroying our ozon layer.

But by the time we will have technology to make our own ozon layer.
And i hope we have technology to live forever before i die because i don't wanna die!! Crying or Very sad

* makes the post longer to earn more frih$s

I think we will survive. And i hope people invent a machine to let our brains all of it instead of only 10%

* makes it longer to earn more
Fusion
yes as you can mostly see on TV now everywhere on the world their are weird things going on.... the world is on his end if you ask me....
shadows
FireFoxDB wrote:

By the time the sun dies we have technology to make a sun ourselves.

Ok, that exactly what i said...

FireFoxDB wrote:

But by the time we will have technology to make our own ozon layer..

the same thing...
windrei
the earth will not have the chance to wait for the sun dies... as humans has destroyed it already....

the pollution matter is getting serious and the ozone layer is getting thinner and thinner... how long can we survive then ?

another matter is about the energy. Now we depends on coal and petrolium, but they are becoming less and less, and will be fully consumed in very soon. Then there will be a competition of energy between nations, maybe the war comes then... the earth will be fully destroyed.
Dark_Jedi06
windrei wrote:
the earth will not have the chance to wait for the sun dies... as humans has destroyed it already....

the pollution matter is getting serious and the ozone layer is getting thinner and thinner... how long can we survive then ?

another matter is about the energy. Now we depends on coal and petrolium, but they are becoming less and less, and will be fully consumed in very soon. Then there will be a competition of energy between nations, maybe the war comes then... the earth will be fully destroyed.
Yup, the world will go out in a bang, a nuclear bang complete with mushroom clouds. Eventually someone will fire the first shot, and from there it all goes to hell.

Did you know that at the height of the Cold War there were enough nuclear weapons to alter the Earth's climate permanently? Imagine what could happen decades from now if we held that kind of power in the 80's...it's frightening.
krazeek
earth will only survive with frihost.com on the internet.
FMX-King
i hope it'll last till i die! or...................... that would be weird if we blow up or sumthing lol Laughing
dan751
Well, this planet it already billions of years old itself. I am confident that it will not die (as in disintegrate). However, need I say, that all of the natural resources that we're consuming, we haven't inhereted from our ancestors, rather, we're spending from our descendants.
Billy Hill
ronitvohra wrote:
tzeqing wrote:

Very Happy [/img]

please dont use so small fonts......

x2, and the color sux too. Very Happy
Dark_Jedi06
dan751 wrote:
Well, this planet it already billions of years old itself. I am confident that it will not die (as in disintegrate). However, need I say, that all of the natural resources that we're consuming, we haven't inhereted from our ancestors, rather, we're spending from our descendants.
Actually, one day it might just disintegrate, when the Sun expands into a massive Red Giant it could potentially engulf the Earth depending on how large it gets.
OnlyOneLife
SRY, BUT I AM 10000% THAT GOD DOES NOT EXIST
WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE EARTH
WITHIN SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS OR LESS:
The OZONE will be depleted.
There will be NO RAIN FOREST
The AIR will be POPLUTED and TOXIC
There will be TOXIC WATER
We will have no NATURAL resources to visit other planets
We will kill ourselves and the environment along with PLANTS AND ANIMALS
there will NOT be ENOUGH FOOD for everyone
A DISEASE WILL STRIKE
TERRORIST GET A HOLD OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS. --- The world's first nuclear war.
TERRORIST develop BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS against the U.S.
The U.S. Develops a weapon stronger than the HYDROGEN BOMB, capable of destroying SATURN.
ALIENS INVADE AND DESTROY US.
AnGeLicK
as long as we don't kill ourselves off or get hit my a comet i think we should be fine
windval
i am worried about that too
i think it is horrible when the sun is dead
DarkYuke
With global warming ever increasing, I'd say the earth will only need a few thousand years before it becomes inhospitable if the current trends keep repeating.

Quote:

But by the time we will have technology to make our own ozon layer.
And i hope we have technology to live forever before i die because i don't wanna die!! Crying or Very sad

Its rather selfish to want to live forever. It destroys the natural balance of life. Plus, not much people would choose to live forever though I respect your choices.
frozenhead
Uhm?.. I think a technology can be developed where fuel and energy can be recycled somehow because of these factors:

- Sun will not exists forever
- Alternate source of energy and fuel are basic amenelities for Earth's survival.

The fact that Earth survival depends also in the Sun's survival. So I think there should some alternate source when the time the Sun is dead. Idea
The destruction of the universe will be because of man and his disobedience. The imorality that is being brought into our world. Some of the most discusting things are going on in our world. And the one who created will not stand for the things that are happening. Man will be punished.

It's become so easy to murder. Total imorality is trying to invade every part of our society. You can't teach that imorality is good, you can't kill babies and say it is ok. It's called rebellion against authority. And there is always a price to pay for disobedience/rebellion.
They are cleverly trying to teach their own destruction.

You can't stumble over the stone and expect the rock not to fall.
Vincent Vale
Dark_Jedi06 wrote:
windrei wrote:

Yup, the world will go out in a bang, a nuclear bang complete with mushroom clouds. Eventually someone will fire the first shot, and from there it all goes to hell.

Did you know that at the height of the Cold War there were enough nuclear weapons to alter the Earth's climate permanently? Imagine what could happen decades from now if we held that kind of power in the 80's...it's frightening.

Yeah, the US had enough nuclear warheads to destroy the world three times over...scary huh? I think the enitre world is eventually going to be in another Cold War once someone develops some brand new weapons technology...that is, until war breaks out. In that case, I'm moving to Switzerland.
On the flip side, however fast we create new weapons, we create new ways to defend against them. I imagine someone is extremely close to creating a way to shoot and disarm nuclear warheads out of the sky, if they haven't done it already. Unless someone develops a weapon in total secrecy and uses it immediately, it's near impossible to create a weapon that can't be countered.
Jack_Hammer
As far as I can estimate there will be two options (Both including millions of varibles)

1. Humans will die out, either of war evolution or natural causes (viruses etc.), so the earth dieing will mean nothing.

2. The human race will evolve and technology will advance to the point where we have cities and controled atmospheres on many planets, and in which case the earth dieing will also mean nothing.

be we are talking billions and billions of years away, and to think the human race has only been around for 2 millions years, so far the dinasuars have been around longer than we have, and they all got wiped out easly?
Wink
izimngcubes15
As like whatever happened to the dinorsaurs, in about a million years or less (100,000 years?) humans will become extinct somehow. And the Earth might restart? There maybe new dom. species and such. I don't think Earth will live for billions of years, millions maybe. It depends on what god wants.
S3nd K3ys
izimngcubes15 wrote:
As like whatever happened to the dinorsaurs, in about a million years or less (100,000 years?) humans will become extinct somehow. And the Earth might restart? There maybe new dom. species and such. I don't think Earth will live for billions of years, millions maybe. It depends on what god wants.

Don't forget that humans have the strongest ability to adapt and improvise. I think that humans will survive longer than the earth.
Guelila
I personally think that the world wont last 50 years.
I read in a news article that the if we dont change anything, the average temperature will rise 4C every 5 years. thats 40C more in 50 years!!
S3nd K3ys
Guelila wrote:
I read in a news article that the if we dont change anything, the average temperature will rise 4C every 5 years. thats 40C more in 50 years!!

At least the heating bills will go down...
Guelila
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Guelila wrote:

At least the heating bills will go down...

lol...
money < life...
izcool
I think the Earth will eventually cease to exist. There's a lot of weird stuff that goes on with our Earth all the time.

For instance, I learned in my Earth Science class awhile back that the magnetic North Pole (different from the true North Pole) is moving every year (right now it's in Canada) and seems to reach Syberia in about 50 years. Rolling Eyes Compasses only tell you the magnetic North Pole but don't tell you the true North Pole. So if you're finding your way out of the woods or something like that, it's not giving you a precise answer.

If you guys ever seen "Deep Impact" or "Armageddon", they are 2 movies that show you that a comet is going to hit the Earth and we need to find a way of stopping it (well, them, as they're 2 different movies) otherwise the human race will cease to exist. I've heard about other science-type movies besides that but those two are pretty good.

- Mike.
mceejaydee
For billions... and billions of years... I hope. It's that damn global warming Evil or Very Mad
Jack_Hammer
Global warming is actually an incorrect term as I keep repeating with 'Global climit change' as it should be said will affect different areas not everywhere will heat up, that is just a common misconception some place will actually get colder and the weather will get a lot more terbulant.
jade
the sun have not die ,earth already died ,pepole ruined all resource,espacially oil,people is the evilest in the world!
mark
I've been thinking about it. I just think that earth survives, although us humans die. I also think that animals and birds would survive and they would be the only inhabitants left.
All the storms, the Tsunami and stuff like that will cause complete earth's devastation. I think it has already started.....

Yes, technology would be extremely advanced in fifty years or so. But more and more technology by foolish humans is what causing the global warming & the greenhouse effect. Now you can see the consequences of inventing vehicles. We'll soon see the consequences of inventing computers as well.
joshua_erceg
I think that if there was no divine intervention -
It would be more likely that we would kill ourselves off in some pointless nuclear war than die from another factor as major as the sun dieing, exploding or whatever...
We could also overpopulate, die from disease, one day run out of food and resources...? Razz
It's just a thought...
S3nd K3ys
jade wrote:
the sun have not die ,earth already died ,pepole ruined all resource,espacially oil,people is the evilest in the world!

ROTLFMAO!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ruined all resources? LOLOL!!!

You funny man!
Pixel
It will survive long enough for me to die a normal death...
imgonnahurtyou
i think that the earth will survive just a few more years, coz we're messing all our nature up, and that's not right, we're cutting trees, releasing CO2 to the atmosphere and all of this is gonna kill us, so i think there's no time left to our "nature suicide".
hofer
Humans will destroy themself in some years, but earth will last until Saturn and Pluton shock themselfs and put the solar system in colapse. LOL.
brosta
hofer wrote:
Humans will destroy themself in some years, but earth will last until Saturn and Pluton shock themselfs and put the solar system in colapse. LOL.

lol

Give it another 100 years...
GraphicalCaviar
at the rate Bill is monopolising the world....

a couple of decades.
vazdecarvalho
It dependes if human being is going to stay in the earth. If he stays it can explode with a nuke bomb. If not, maybe it survives until the sun explodes. Very Happy
bao
Well I dont worry about,Because anyone have long life like earth. Smile
gonzo
If the sun supernovas the earth's demise is at hand. Have you forgotton about big rock collisions? Wink
criticaldensity
Gabba Gabba HEYY!!! First, disease will wipe out alot of people, then starvation.
golles
I think the earth will die fast, everything on it will die and then the sun will swallow the entire milkway.
Their is also something with the moon, it should be round but the gravity from the earth let it turn around the earth, because it is circling around the earth it becomes like a rugbye ball. The moon will get destroyed by that and if it is gone the earth will get out of balance and will hit other planets.
It was something I heard 2 years ago on my school.
BTW there is a stone coming to the earth in 2013 it is not 100% sure it will go near us or hit us.

believe this if you want, I don't believe all of this shit same as how the earth came, but I think life on earth isn't forever but we will die before it is that far Wink

//golles
jawker
well, how long? no one really knows if your asking the question "how long" as you can see every posted reply here answers the question "how will the earth die?" basically our planet depends on the sun. the sun at present is at it's main sequence stage classified as a G2 star and generally the main sequence stage as the experts say "the scientists" last for 5billion years. well that's a long way to go right? well another news from the experts is that they said that the sun appeared to be existing for 4.6 billion years already since i was in elementary hehehehe...15 years ago hehehehe...well based on their studies i say we still have 0.4 billion years before the sun turns into a red giant and suck everything in the solar system.the good news is i wont be around when that happens hehehe..God bless you all!
matjash
How long will earth survive?

I guess I'll die before she does... so I'm preety sure that we are safe untill 2050 and I could say that for my future children If I'm going to ave them ... so they would be safe till approximatly 2112 and so on , so on...
Lord Klorel
In all the posts i read, i can understand that lots of people want to know what will happen with the earth.

Our industry is the great bad guy with his CO2 and other discusting polution. No effence for for the USA, but George W. Bush is the great monster on earth, because i doesn't want to sign the Kiyoto treaty. That is the greatst signal that Bush don't give a penny for our world.

I will say that bush is satan himself that want the destruction of earth.

STOP Bush and earth will live much longer.

end of discussion in my eyes.
smksa.prefects
If the sun dies we have only one option to stay alive....depend on machines.

It reminds me of the MATRIX world!
smksa.prefects
Lord Klorel wrote:
In all the posts i read, i can understand that lots of people want to know what will happen with the earth.

Our industry is the great bad guy with his CO2 and other discusting polution. No effence for for the USA, but George W. Bush is the great monster on earth, because i doesn't want to sign the Kiyoto treaty. That is the greatst signal that Bush don't give a penny for our world.

I will say that bush is satan himself that want the destruction of earth.

STOP Bush and earth will live much longer.

end of discussion in my eyes.

Great speech...you should apply to work for the Replubican....no offense.
I too dont support the Bush Administration.

Like father like son...if you know what i mean...';*$
ricardobeat
I have no idea of how will the Earth be in billions of years.. i'm more worried about it lasting enough for me to life a full life Smile

there's a project called "Solar Tower" in Australia, it's an energy facility that will generate 50MW of power without ANY pollution. It works by using the sun's heat to circulate air through dinamo-fans. A nice idea to save the ozon layer. If all coal and gas power plants in the world were substituted by that we could drop CO2 emissions more than 40%. And it's also a nice building, a quilometer-long mirror in the ground with a quilometer-high tower in the middle. Modern architecture Smile
planet
Till some numbnutz hits the button with his forehead!

Only interesting question, will it be after Vodka, Whiskey or Rice wine?

ps. The ones that have scare me more than the ones that don't.
ganea
when the earth will finish and then survives will end i think.anyone know how long earth will survive...i hope the wars and terror will over soon...
atomictoyz
Did someone define survive?

The Martian definition leaves me feeling kinda dry in the mouth.

The Saturn Definition make be feel like I have ring around the collar.

Pluto makes me feel distant Smile

Lets not discuss how Uranius makes me feel!

On the evolutionary timescale it could mean 2 days short of infinity.

From a spiritual perspective it doesn't really matter when your not matter any longer.

From a marital standpoint it won't last as long as you hoped for.

Peace,
Atomic
S3nd K3ys
atomictoyz wrote:
Did someone define survive?

The Martian definition leaves me feeling kinda dry in the mouth.

The Saturn Definition make be feel like I have ring around the collar.

Pluto makes me feel distant Smile

Lets not discuss how Uranius makes me feel!

On the evolutionary timescale it could mean 2 days short of infinity.

From a spiritual perspective it doesn't really matter when your not matter any longer.

From a marital standpoint it won't last as long as you hoped for.

Peace,
Atomic

Yeah, leave my anus out of this. Shocked
Raijenki
5 billions years ^^
In 5 billions years the earth will not explode, but the sun will grow and in 5 billion year, it will near the earth and will kill all people of this world ^^.
HELP MEEEE !!!!
atomictoyz
Raijenki wrote:
5 billions years ^^
In 5 billions years the earth will not explode, but the sun will grow and in 5 billion year, it will near the earth and will kill all people of this world ^^.
HELP MEEEE !!!!

The sun has been shrinking about 6ft per year in diameter.
ocalhoun
I intend to be alive at the time! This is a byprouduct of my other experimentations, but could be very important.
GDG
hey, OK these are my thoughts and theyre almost similar to everyone.

Firtsly I think its God's decision when earth wil die, and I believe hes started it right now. But not directly by him, but rather hes controling us in destroying it oursleves. therefore God is destroying earth through fate, through hwat we do. so basically both the idea of God an dus destroying it is true. We pollute, kill, destroy the earth in many ways and yet we dont wanna wake up to see it, were ignorant.

so i think if earth is to divide then fate would have to be changed in the future, and the only way is to make God happy with us i guess.

Well those are my ideas, nice thread too.

See Ya Smile
Luis
I think sometimes how long. And I really dont know, 'cause in the same time the caos grow up the technology too... Soo, I really dont know x) Very Happy
carlokes
More 5000 years and we are finished !
deanhills
I don't have a clue, but some say that our ticket will be up on Friday, 21 December 2012. I'm not much for fire works, but perhaps that would be the day for it!
ocalhoun
Quote:

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010

Epic Bump!

5 years and some change... Is that a Frihost record?
Bikerman
Actually the 'bump' was a repeat posting so I've removed it.
I propose to close this thread if there is no objection. It has run its course as far as I can see and there seems to be little to add...
(I'll wait for a day or two before closing to give people a chance to say otherwise).
C.
deanhills
I think it is a good idea to close it in the General Chat Forum. Maybe if people are interested in a serious discussion of the topic they can start a new thread with a clearer focus in the Science Earth Sub-Forum?
Bikerman
Exactly my thoughts.
Thread closed.