FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there anywhere in the law that specifies number base?

Afaceinthematrix
Many of our laws (in most countries) have certain laws that have to do with age. Most countries have some sort of drinking age, age that you have to stay in school until, etc. But does anyone know of countries who actually specify what number base the laws are in? I.E. would a nine-year-old be able to get caught by the police with a bottle of liquor and argue that he/she is 21 - in base 4. I just thought it would be a funny court case. Maybe next time I get questioned by the police and they ask my age, I'll give it to them in base 9. It will only be a two year difference and so they'll probably believe it. And if they check my ID I can have a valid argument. Or maybe I shouldn't because that will probably cause problems...
deanhills
First time I've heard about "base" age limitations. What are they?

I have not had many run-ins with the police, but generally when I do, I'm at my very best behaviour. No arguing, I take my cue from where they are. Whatever they say goes. And if there is a question of blame, which so far thankfully there has never been, I would just appear completely speechless with shock.
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
First time I've heard about "base" age limitations. What are they?

I have not had many run-ins with the police, but generally when I do, I'm at my very best behaviour. No arguing, I take my cue from where they are. Whatever they say goes. And if there is a question of blame, which so far thankfully there has never been, I would just appear completely speechless with shock.

There are no "base" age limitations that I'm aware of. That's why I was questioning about it. Every country that I know of has age limits for something. If the drinking age is 21, could a nine-year-old argue that he/she is 21 - if you consider his age in base 4?

And I will only cooperate with the police if I feel like it. I don't like cops and so I don't always feel like making their job easier.
emanuel2
I also do not understand this "base number" law concept you are talking about. In our country you have to be at minimum 14 years to be prosecuted. If you're under that age your parents are liable for your crimes. So if you drink at the age of 13, you parents are to blame, by law.
Is this what you meant?
Bikerman
{zoom....the sound of concepts flying over people's heads]
There is no specific reference to number base in UK law, but it is covered by catch-alls which speak about 'reasonable', 'general', 'common' etc. The case would be that the generally accepted and 'commonly held' view that base 10 is meant would be the correct one.
coolclay
You can't assume that everyone is familiar with different numerical systems. An explanation in your post might be more beneficial.

Regardless you would just end up with a nice little ride back to the station. Where they would probably all laugh at you, fine you and let you go.
Bikerman
coolclay wrote:
You can't assume that everyone is familiar with different numerical systems. An explanation in your post might be more beneficial.

Fair point, but the post did say 'number base' and let's be honest, it doesn't take a lot of effort to do the following:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=number+base
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
And I will only cooperate with the police if I feel like it. I don't like cops and so I don't always feel like making their job easier.
Who said anything about making their jobs easier? If I act the way I do, it is completely in my own interest. And common sense. If I would choose to make their jobs difficult for them, then that would come at my own peril with lots of waste of time and energy associated with it, and maybe a traffic fine and citation as well. I like to keep things short and simple with the objective of avoiding or minimizing damages. It is then much easier to get a ticket squashed if that is necessary to do in the end. The judge won't have much sympathy with those who make the lives of traffic cops difficult. That is also common sense. Although maybe there are some who like to make a sport of making their jobs difficult, and well I'm sure the police knows how to deal with that. Maybe they will admire them for that even and have some sport back Twisted Evil
coolclay wrote:

Regardless you would just end up with a nice little ride back to the station. Where they would probably all laugh at you, fine you and let you go.
Completely agreed.
Afaceinthematrix
coolclay wrote:

I have no possible way of knowing what people know. I thought it would be pretty common knowledge. And like in any topic, if you don't know the information, then google is there for free. If I'm posting in a topic and I don't know something, I just google it. If I don't want to google it, then I just find another topic.

I guess to please people, the number base is just how many digits you have. We typically use base 10 because 0-9 is ten digits. Base 4 would use 4 digits, 0-3. Counting would be exactly the same but you'd skip anything with 4-9. So counting in base 3 would be 0, 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 20, 21, 22, 23, 30, 31, 32, 33, 100, 101,.....

So, as you can see, counting this way will help you reach your 21 birthday a little quicker... But not as quick as in base 3... Or if you use base 2, you'd get 1, 10, 11, 100.... And that's certainly old enough to drink...

Quote:
{zoom....the sound of concepts flying over people's heads]
There is no specific reference to number base in UK law, but it is covered by catch-alls which speak about 'reasonable', 'general', 'common' etc. The case would be that the generally accepted and 'commonly held' view that base 10 is meant would be the correct one.

Ah.. Okay. I'll have to see if the U.S. has a law like that. I searched for number bases in law and didn't find anything but I didn't check for commonality... The closes thing that I've seen is in some stores, they display signs that read, "If you born before this day in $year-18 then we will not sell you tobacco products." But I've only seen that a few times so I don't think it's the actual law to display signs like that (or everyone would have them). I think some shops just put those up for stupid kids. I can't find a loophole for those. But for shops who have signs that just say, "No Tobacco Sales to Minors" then I might have some sort of loophole...

Quote:
Who said anything about making their jobs easier? If I act the way I do, it is completely in my own interest. And common sense. If I would choose to make their jobs difficult for them, then that would come at my own peril with lots of waste of time and energy associated with it, and maybe a traffic fine and citation as well.

No cop can give me a traffic ticket because I very carefully follow all traffic laws. Most fatal accidents are caused by people breaking the rules of the road. So I feel that if you're speeding, running red lights, etc. then you're showing a complete disregard for everyone else's life. So I don't break traffic laws. So if I have to deal with police officers, it's over something stupid. And since I hate cops, I want to give them the hardest time possible...
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I have no possible way of knowing what people know. I thought it would be pretty common knowledge. And like in any topic, if you don't know the information, then google is there for free. If I'm posting in a topic and I don't know something, I just google it. If I don't want to google it, then I just find another topic.
I first Googled it, and could not find anything as I was looking for minimum age base numbers. At that time I did not have a clue where you were heading with the base number game. Now that you have explained it, it is easy to Google. I can imagine if you provided this explanation to a cop that it would have their brain cells in a knot. They'd probably ask you to walk a straight line too, just to check whether you are under the influence of something. Very Happy
coolclay
Quote:
They'd probably ask you to walk a straight line too, just to check whether you are under the influence of something.
No doubt!
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:
Quote:
They'd probably ask you to walk a straight line too, just to check whether you are under the influence of something.
No doubt!

And then tase you for good measure. ^.^
Afaceinthematrix
ocalhoun wrote:
coolclay wrote:
Quote:
No doubt!

I would love for a police officer to tase me when they do not have a good reason. It would just give me ammunition to use against them. I would take that officer to court and do my very best to make sure that at the end of the day (or year more likely) that he did not have a job (as a police officer). I already have a huge distrust for cops as it is, so that simply wouldn't help...

But I wouldn't mind (as much) them making me walk in a straight line. It really depends on the attitude of the particular cop. I occasionally see a cop that isn't a complete and total jerk and that I am actually able to tolerate. But more often than not, they're jerks.
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
coolclay wrote:
Quote:
No doubt!

I would love for a police officer to tase me when they do not have a good reason. It would just give me ammunition to use against them. I would take that officer to court and do my very best to make sure that at the end of the day (or year more likely) that he did not have a job (as a police officer). I already have a huge distrust for cops as it is, so that simply wouldn't help...

Best case scenario: the officer gets several weeks paid leave. If you're very lucky, there was video of the event, and it didn't get 'accidentally' lost, so you're able to win a lawsuit against the department. The taxpayers get the bill for the lawsuit, and the officer goes back to his job, and maybe gets his promotion delayed.

(Sorry for going off-topic, but this kind of thing happens frequently, and makes me very frustrated.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Best case scenario: the officer gets several weeks paid leave. If you're very lucky, there was video of the event, and it didn't get 'accidentally' lost, so you're able to win a lawsuit against the department. The taxpayers get the bill for the lawsuit, and the officer goes back to his job, and maybe gets his promotion delayed.

(Sorry for going off-topic, but this kind of thing happens frequently, and makes me very frustrated.)
Looks as though the police don't seem to have a good image in the US? My experiences have been different in Canada and the UAE. Or maybe I've just been very lucky so far. I find the police in Canada in general very helpful. They usually mingle with people and they have a sense of humour as well. The police in the UAE are a bit more serious and reserved, but very well trained in dealing with the public. The times I have had dealings with them have earned my respect. I'd hate to bump into the US police however. My closest dealings in the US have been with customs and immigration, and that was a real bad experience. Complete arrogance and lack of flexibility. They deliberately gave me the third degree so that I missed my connecting flight. I argued for about five minutes, and then gave up and accepted my lot. I remember it was at Atlanta International Airport.
Afaceinthematrix
ocalhoun wrote:

Oh that's okay. I don't mind going off topic when it's talking about police corruption. And this is just one of the many, many, many things that I despise about cops and that makes me absolutely hate them. All of them! But I would feel responsible to at least try and get the jackass fired. I wouldn't try and get money out of the system. I'm not like that. I'm not one for milking the system for a free payoff at taxpayer expense. One of the most disgusting things that has ever happened in our system is that douchebag named Rodney King. He drives drunk. Fails to pull over. Leads police on a high speed chase. Risks thousands of innocent peoples lives. And then sues the police department for a couple million! WT???? The jury awarded him the money! I would personally like to kick all of their asses (and his) right. You do not reward a dangerous criminal with more taxpayer money than most people make in their entire lives. Rodney King should have just gone to prison for ten years. But he got some stupid payoff and all of a sudden he was a public hero to the millions of morons in this country. I don't blame the police for kicking his ass. A drunk driver that goes on a high speed chase and risks all these lives just might make me mad enough to want to kick their ass.

Then there's plenty of other reason why I despise police officers but that would be getting even more off topic. Instead, I'll just mention how I'll give them a harder time when they stop me. Next time I might just tell them my age in base 9. The difference is only 2 years and so I'm sure they'll believe me. And if they check my ID, I have my excuse...
coolclay
I respect your dislike for police but you have to remember at the end of the day they are human beings, fathers, sons, and what they do is their job. If more people were respectful to authority figures this world would be a much better place. My father is an officer, and I have gone out with him a few nights, and some people are straight up dicks to the police for no reason. They have a job to do and that is to try and keep our country safe first and foremost, the more of a jerkhole you are the harder it is for them to do that. But I'd say go for your base 9 idea, the cop would probably just laugh at you, as long as your not a jerk about it.
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:
I respect your dislike for police but you have to remember at the end of the day they are human beings, fathers, sons, and what they do is their job.

Very true. There are good officers, and there are bad officers, though both are rare.
The most common are the 'medium' officers who are just doing their job, and doing it well enough...
The problem though, is that these 'medium' officers are all too often willing to cover up the abuses of the bad ones, and they allow the bad ones to be bad in order to avoid alienating friends and coworkers, or to avoid sullying the image of the department.

There are good and bad people in every group... The problem with the police is that the inevitable bad ones are often not getting punished as they should.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
I respect your dislike for police but you have to remember at the end of the day they are human beings, fathers, sons, and what they do is their job. If more people were respectful to authority figures this world would be a much better place. My father is an officer, and I have gone out with him a few nights, and some people are straight up dicks to the police for no reason. They have a job to do and that is to try and keep our country safe first and foremost, the more of a jerkhole you are the harder it is for them to do that. But I'd say go for your base 9 idea, the cop would probably just laugh at you, as long as your not a jerk about it.
You're of course right coolclay. And apologies if I had misled myself. You do get your odd jerk, but then one finds jerks in all walks of life, including the medical profession and all other professions for that matter. People are people.

ocalhoun wrote:
The problem with the police is that the inevitable bad ones are often not getting punished as they should.
I'm puzzled however Ocalhoun. How can one make a sweeping statement like that when obviously the one police officer is different from the other, and your majority have to be doing a good job, because if they did not, then obviously anarchy must prevail?

I had friends in the police force while I was in Canada and did not see any of the attitude, however, I'm almost certain there would be a bad apple here and there, as you would find in any other profession. The police officers I knew however would have a very low tolerance for the bad apples. I can imagine once the bad apple has been identified, from a public point of view and in the interest of morale and a good image, the police authorities would like to minimize the damage as much as possible. Whereas amongst their own, this guy would probably be punished by being shunned. He may still be employed but his career would be toast.
Afaceinthematrix
ocalhoun wrote:

There are good and bad people in every group... The problem with the police is that the inevitable bad ones are often not getting punished as they should.

Interesting... Good people in the group that gang raped the young girl walking home from work during the night? Okay, so I'm just being nitpicky for fun... I know what you mean.

But the fact that there are some "bad" cops and the rest of the cops let them slide has very little to do with why I dislike police officers so much. But I am really trying hard to refrain from getting into this because this will certainly lead to an off-topic flame-fest.

coolclay wrote:
They have a job to do and that is to try and keep our country safe first and foremost

That's actually part of the reason that I hate them.

Quote:
If more people were respectful to authority figures this world would be a much better place.

I would like both the evidence for that claim (the world would be a better place if I respected authority figures) and then reasoning on why they deserve my respect.

Quote:
I had friends in the police force while I was in Canada and did not see any of the attitude, however

Then are you sure they were actually police officers?